• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rising Stars Movie - Straczynski

6 posts in this topic

I may have missed it, but didn't see any mention of the announcement that MGM is adapting the Rising Stars series (Top Cow) written by Michael Straczynski. I enjoyed that series, though I can't recall if I ever finished reading all 24 comics since there were large delays between issues. I've always liked Straczynski's writing, so am really looking forward to it.

Rising Stars MGM Movie

Eh...

I read the first 5-6 issues. Wasn't impressed.

He did far far better work in Supreme Power and ASM vol. 2, for instance

(note: I wasn't reading ASM by the time he did "One More Day," however, which is where most fans disowned him for the Norman Osborn retcon.)

And, of course he gets a lifetime pass for Babylon 5.

Overall, it was a relatively good story when it wrapped up. It's structured like a trilogy already, so it's pretty much got the story outlined from the comics. They'll have to de-90's-ify it a little bit in character designs, but overall, it could still work fairly well. Granted though, this, Supreme Power (lost interest when it became Squadron Supreme again) & ASM until Sins Past/The Other (whichever came first) were kinda the only 3 JMS comic runs that I really enjoyed.

You know, I think I'm confusing Rising Stars with Supreme Power. It's the Mark Milton / Hyperion team of characters that I remember enjoying, so maybe Rising Stars was a bit more so-so. We'll see if it can be refreshed a bit on the big screen.

Yeah. Supreme Power was the kinda-sorta Ultimate-style MAX reboot of the old Squadron Supreme series. Rising Stars was about the few hundred kids from Indiana or Illinois or something that were all born with powers after a comet passes over & explodes while they were all still in utero. And was written like a trilogy at different periods of their lives but had a finite ending.

I prefer Supreme Power, which was a more R-rated take on Squadron Supreme, being a fan of Mark Gruenwald's excellent 12 issue series from the 80s.

Rising Stars was a patchy experience for me; generally average art, several long delays in between issues, and a fairly mediocre ending which wasn't really worth the wait.