• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sub-Mariner comics, overpriced?

12 posts in this topic

Are Sub-mariner comics overpriced?

As seen in the marketplace, I have been trying to put together a complete run of Sub-mariners in 9.6. 6 months ago, I was getting the average issue at $75-100 each, CGC'd at 9.6. Now the average issue is going for $300 in this grade! Is this just speculation of a movie, or does anyone think they are actually worth these prices??

I agree that it has to be speculation or people too caught up in the chase for higher and highest graded books. Additionally, I would think the the supply of these higher graded books may not be currently keeping up with the demand. Just a guess though.......

Not sure....Is there a movie in the works? Is Submariner a compelling enough character to command high dollar?

Aside from him being in Marvel #1 does he have any real staying poer? The only "Subby" book I'd ever be interested in purchasing (beside Marvel #1, which is waaaaaaay out of my price range) would be FF #4. And that is more b/c it is the fourth issue of the series, not b/c of Subby's 1st SA apppearance.

Chris

I'll pay? You already did....Remember "The Search for Iron Fist" (circa 1991), or the battle w/ the Griffin?

It's too bad John Byrne (a comic god) wasted his talents on a pitiful series like "Namor". I'll bet even today's "golden-boys" (Bendis, Strazinsky, Ennis, Morrison, Ellis) couldn't make Namor interesting. Only so much you can do with a second-tier character.

Chris

I'll agree the recent Subby books didn't work real well but the Everett Subby and the Kirby Subby stuff rocks. And don't forget Iron Man 121-122 - those are really very good and proof that there was a decent subby story not too long ago.

I think Bendis or whomever would be fully capable of writing a good Subby story (it's just a character - it's all in what you do with it - a good writer can make any character interesting if used in the right way). But it likely wouldn't do well at the stand anyway - which is why it won't happen frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Then again, if Marvel looks to showcase the character before the movie comes out, you never know.

B

Everett Subby and the Kirby Subby stuff rocks.

No doubt. But what are the chances that a "new" comic reader is going to pick up "Namor"? I doubt they've ever heard of him. They will pick up "Ultimate Spder-Man" or :x-Men"....something along those lines....

A "Submariner" movie would come off as a cheap rip-off of "Waterworld" (and I shouldn't have to remind you how horrible that was).

Chris

I don't think it's movie speculation, but more of a 9.6 speculation. There are many collectors out there with deep pockets who will pay big $$$ for Silver 9.6+ and bronze 9.8+, in an attempt to put together the best possible run/collection they can.

Some valid points ther people. I think I was a bit ambitious trying to put this set together anyway, I think I will just have to Ebay the lot, if people are buying that high because of the movie hints, then maybe its a good time. I'll have to Start on Cap Marvel or something!

Can you imagine what a Sub-mariner movie would be like? I can read and enjoy most of the stories, but seeing that on the big screen, could it work? But then again, who could have ever seen a man that turns into a Spider! smirk.gif

Hey, I liked Waterworld. A little silly, true, but that yummy Jeanne Treblehorn (or however you spell her name) in wet fishnet...tres nice.

And for a very cheap but awesome book, check out Submariner about 45-60, the Everett issues. Especially look at Subby 57. Spectacular artwork!