• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A philosophical question...

15 posts in this topic

I'm Batman. Let's say I'm texting while driving. I blow through a red light and slam my Batmobile into your car. Your vehicle is now damaged and it's 100% due to my negligence. Now, while I don't actually admit fault, I do make a "generous" offer to have your car fixed on my dime, Heck, I even offer to pay for a rental car so you can get around while your car is in the shop. I'm Batman, remember. I own Wayne Tech, a multimillion dollar company. So, yeah, I can afford to foot the bill here. Plus, I need to protect my reputation as the protector of Gotham City, so taking care of you and your vehicle at this time are definitely in my best interest. Anyway, a couple weeks later, you get your car back, looking good as new. No harm, no foul. Right?

Does getting your car fixed for you totally absolve me of negligently damaging it in the first place? Isn't your car, despite outward appearances, fundamentally changed as a result of my actions? What if I told people that the accident I caused was a "relatively minor issue?" How would you feel then?

Food for thought. It is Friday, after all.

BatmobileCRASH-vi.jpg

I'm Batman. Let's say I'm texting while driving. I blow through a red light and slam my Batmobile into your car. Your vehicle is now damaged and it's 100% due to my negligence. Now, while I don't actually admit fault, I do make a "generous" offer to have your car fixed on my dime, Heck, I even offer to pay for a rental car so you can get around while your car is in the shop. I'm Batman, remember. I own Wayne Tech, a multimillion dollar company. So, yeah, I can afford to foot the bill here. Plus, I need to protect my reputation as the protector of Gotham City, so taking care of you and your vehicle at this time are definitely in my best interest. Anyway, a couple weeks later, you get your car back, looking good as new. No harm, no foul. Right?

Does getting your car fixed for you totally absolve me of negligently damaging it in the first place? Isn't your car, despite outward appearances, fundamentally changed as a result of my actions? What if I told people that the accident I caused was a "relatively minor issue?" How would you feel then?

BatmobileCRASH-vi.jpg

What made you think you were going to be able to charge your phone with a sign that clearly states NO OUTLET?

Besides that dude was there first. Your car may look cooler, but smashing into him doesn't put you at the front of the line.

You're not Batman - more like Budman!

Honeslty, I'd be less worried about your reputation. That dude looks like he's hatching a plot and scheme that could land him on your worst villains list.

The sunglasses and blank stare are the give away.

The only way you would be absolved is if you replaced my car with a new model of my choosing and throw in a NM copy of Batman 1.

Batman must pay!

Yea.... I think Batman would be better off if he bought the guy a new car outright.

BatmobileCRASH-vi.jpg

Batman, we know you're a stand up guy, but'cha gotta quit covering for Robin. Here's the real story...

Well, Batman, your culpability in the above accident is mitigated by the fact that you handed Robin the keys to Wain manor awhile ago. Apparently, The Boy Wonder was driving his supercharged Batmobile and ignored the curves in the road. When approached by a police officer at the scene of the accident Robin claimed innocence even though he'd failed to test drive the vehicle and get it certified street legal.

Looking at Robin's age on his driving license, the officer scratched his head and said "This states you're nearly 80 years old, ...how can you blame your poor driving on youthful inexperience?" To which Robin replied, "Batman switched cars, changed addresses and left the Batcave. I'm in charge now, but don't worry, this is just a bump in the road. Besides, it's a fender bender, most car owners don't even notice."

"But you were driving, ...this is your fault and you need to take responsibility for it," adding "some owners do care about reckless behavior." Robin argued "No, it's not my fault. You see, I'm competing with Batman for attention. If he'd just retire this accident would never have happened!"

The officer looked at him incredulously and said "So this is Batman's fault? You're going to try to convince a judge and jury that Batman is to blame for your bad driving skills?" The Boy Wonder then tried to change the topic "You realize that my Batmobile is certified and better designed than other cars on the road, don't you?"

At this point the officer sighed and gave up, realizing that Robin's stubbornness was pathological and more about his own perception of reality than dealing with the issues in front of him. "Here's your ticket for recklessness..." the officer continued, adding (with sarcasm )"... Be sure to exchange information with the next driver you run over."

Robin laughed, whispering to the officer "Don't concern yourself, I'm covered by insurance and indemnified against such accidents. Besides, folks love seeing the Batmobile so much they'll put up with just about anything."

FINI

BatmobileCRASH-vi.jpg

Look who flew bye :headbang:

Joker-mobile1_zpsbia0vfhs.jpg