• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ebay seller may be a con-artist

255 posts in this topic

can someone run down for me what transpired to get him to confess? I missed all that.

mods: this thread was an active board investigation doing a public service. Sometimes things get tense but that is no reason to wipe stuff out.

A good thing happened here.

Agreed. If there was a line or two that was bad, then just delete those. No need to wipe a server.

WTF CAK!? First of all, my suggestion to place on the list was to first and foremost protect the members here which is the community I am a part of. I can't protect thousands of unnamed members on EBAY. Second, I posted that a criminal complaint could be filed locally and/or federally but there is only one person with the guy's name and address so that is up to him.

In the time you typed that diatribe, why didn't you contact EBAY and try to get his account cancelled? No one is making light of what he did but there is nothing more that can be said about it until more information comes out or is discovered.

You actually read what he writes? I can only make it a couple sentences before my eyes roll back into my head.

It's all 400' fire pits after that.

Already if you google Munkalunk228 i takes you to this thread. I say post his real name from the ebay sale email so likewise it will show up in a google search. Future employers and others can then see it.

201405_1633_ciiad_sm.png

Maybe he was collecting them at some point, don't usually see to many moderns though with double covers, never mind tripple covers.

I've been collecting for 40+ years, and never came across one double cover. This guy has ten?

I've had a handful but they were all 70's and 80's book. Since the interior covers were nicer, I ripped off all of the outer covers doh! Never had a triple or quadruple cover. This guy obviously took advantage of people hoping to own a rarity. Then he repeats it because of his greed. Pitiful

WTF CAK!? First of all, my suggestion to place on the list was to first and foremost protect the members here which is the community I am a part of. I can't protect thousands of unnamed members on EBAY. Second, I posted that a criminal complaint could be filed locally and/or federally but there is only one person with the guy's name and address so that is up to him.

In the time you typed that diatribe, why didn't you contact EBAY and try to get his account cancelled? No one is making light of what he did but there is nothing more that can be said about it until more information comes out or is discovered.

You actually read what he writes? I can only make it a couple sentences before my eyes roll back into my head.

It's all 400' fire pits after that.

It's not easy but when he puts my name misspelled in bold, it was hard to miss as if my suggestion was bad or laughable. If memory serves, there have been several times we have identified new scammers by links from the lists of people we thought were long gone. Its hard to remember everyone 6 months, or a year or longer down the road when seeing similar actions.

I like CAK but I do agree he needs to read the other posts more carefully. I'm a bit impulsive myself so I know what it's like to just want to get your stuff out there!

In the past CBCS screw ups and faults were ok to discuss because it's not 'promoting' another company.

That should most likely be discussed across the street to make them aware of it. Especially if the owner is on those boards.

Does NewShane need to send him a PM about nominating him for the list?

I dont think you guys understand the severity of this in regards to our hobby folks.

The scammer took the time to target a niche market which was unexploited. he was actually being creative with his scam. This is not some joe schmo who will go and forge some sigs and make a quick buck. If this goes unpunished, just think of what others could take from this.

Most probably the slab books are legit and he used that to help sell the raw books.

Here's a CGC graded double cover this guy sold

Is it bona fide, or did CGC miss that ? hm

CGC's pants down. This guy is convincingly identified as a scammer, so all of his items are suspect. He managed to get $150 selling this (minus grading and eBay fees). So CGC's and Voldemort's pants are both down on this stuff, though I suppose it must be particularly difficult to tell if somebody is faking a manufacturing error.

Really nasty scammer -- he found a very particular niche collecting focus and zeroed in on exploiting it. Then he lied and blamed a made-up "friend," throwing an angry fit and cursing at everybody who caught him.

This kind of thing takes a lot of the fun out of collecting. Whereas one might have previously experienced joy at discovering the anomaly of a double cover, now in the back of their minds, every collector has to worry that some lowlife shmuck fabricated the thing because he was unable to land a job bagging groceries or something to earn his pocket change.

Just say something cool

I spit mad game and U know my flow be mad tight.

Why U gotta B all up on my jock, yo?

U sleepin on dis while Munkalunk is strait creepin.

He be perpatratin sum sick fake azz triple cover heists and U be stuck perculatin n pontificatin wit da wool pulled over yo eyez.

He pullin out trickz to while you wonder bout who be getting da dickz cross dey eyez.

U getting played like a fawn-

he be wavin dem green stacks talkin' bout

-yeah, y'all know dat my jawn.

How's that for something cool?

If I hadn't had dumped all of my Geto Boyz and other old school rap CD's on eBay years ago, I'd have better inspiration to pull from.

Sorry. ;)

That's something cool :) Glad I was able to fully expose him for what he was/is. But lucky for me, I didn't buy ;) Thanks to the OP for the link

I know that you didn't buy any of Nunkalynk's counterfeit books, I was giving you a gentle ribbing for the post where you indicated that you were about to feel sorry for Munkalunk as that indicates the con artist is worthy of any sympathy.

His buyers (victims) are deserving of sympathy and moreso, restitution.

If you look at his sold listings, he has sold counterfeit double covers for as high as $175 a pop.

Newshane got beat on a $21 book (and grading fees) but there are many other eBay buyers who the seller has taken for multiples of what Newshane was duped for.

Cahookie posted that we should add the seller to a list for future reference, which is all well and good but that does nothing for the eBay buyers who have collectively lined the seller's Paypal account with THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for counterfeit/worthless books.

I do not know the legal statues concerning what sort of punishment can be metered out for this individual but I am pretty sure that what he did fits the bill for grand larceny and mail fraud.

As Awelander said, making light of the seller's idiotic posting , while it is good for laughs, takes away from the fact that he has cheated dozens of eBay buyers out of their money.

There has yo be some way to notify eBay of what he has done, so his previous buyers, can be made whole thru Paypal refunds.

Putting him on the CGC Hall of Shame list really does very little, as far as justice for his victims (eBay buyers) is concerned.The seller even stated that he laughed at that idea and does not care about being put on such a list.

He is right in that respect, if that is all that is done, he still gets to walk away from his victims, keeping all of their money.His victims are oblivious to the fact they have received counterfeit goods.

It is plain to see that amunkalunk/Munkakunk228 will start selling more counterfeit double,triple,quadruple covers soon enough via his eBay account ( or a new ebay account) shortly after this thread dies down and the spotlight on him fades away.

What needs to be done is to put Munkalunk/Munkalunk228 on the CGC Forums hall of shame list, voted by every boardie (except Vyger7, because he apparently is out of his mind) ....

AAAAND then, notify eBay of all of his eBay listings, as well as Munkalunk's admission of guilt, in this thread.

My take on this is to ask a lawyer boardie to take a bit of his timex to draft a letter up , to be forwarded to eBay.

I will collect all of the links to the seller's listings (sold and unsold), and post them in this thread, if that will help expediate the matter.

Please open your eyes...follow those things that are called WORDS, put them together one right after another, and it will ALL MAKE SENSE. It's called READING POSTS BEFORE YOU POST.