• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 9: 4th - 6th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 4th to 6th  

285 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 4th to 6th

55 posts in this topic

Voted:

Hulk #1

JIM #83

X-Men #1

+1

Ditto...

A tough vote to be sure.

BUT, if we're talking about SA IMPORTANCE and not Current Value, or Scarcity, or how they fared 20-30 years after the SA, these are the 3 that need to go... IMHO...

Voted off X men 1 (tough), JIM 83 (no-brainer) and SC 4 (digging up and recycling a GA character was a smart move, but the Hulk is Marvel's final bridge between "monster books" and hero books, an original Avenger, a TV and movie star for decades, etc., his first appearance has a million times more juice than the Flash).

-J.

Yet this book with a million times more juice was somehow inexplicably axed after 6 issues...Try again...

Voted off X men 1 (tough), JIM 83 (no-brainer) and SC 4 (digging up and recycling a GA character was a smart move, but the Hulk is Marvel's final bridge between "monster books" and hero books, an original Avenger, a TV and movie star for decades, etc., his first appearance has a million times more juice than the Flash).

-J.

Yet this book with a million times more juice was somehow inexplicably axed after 6 issues...Try again...

He even turned from grey to green :o

Sort of exemplifies how the concept and writing weren't real sure if he was a hero or villain...a tough tightrope to walk it turned out to be initially... 2c

-J.

...only for the character to appear in multiple titles and crossovers (including the first Marvel crossover) soon thereafter....

Now you try again.

-J.

-J.

...only for the character to appear in multiple titles and crossovers (including the first Marvel crossover) soon thereafter....

Now you try again.

-J.

Hey I'm playing too...sounds like the schizophrenia continued... :insane:

-J.

Now you try again.

-J.

Hey I'm playing too...sounds like the schizophrenia continued... :insane:

lol:ohnoez:

-J.

-J.

Now you try again.

-J.

OK;

1. He didn't appear in the first Marvel crossover SOON THEREAFTER. His appearance in FF 12 coincided with his last appearance in his own Book, which he wouldn't have again for another FIVE YEARS.

2. that's right, your boy spent approx 8 years in the Silver age and 5 of them were without his own book...

3. AND as TRMoore reminded us all, The first issue was so poorly received, Marvel immediately decided to actually change his color from grey to green in a desperate move to generate some notice.

I'm not denying his ultimate popularity but his first book in the SA doesn't belong in the top three...IMHO.

SC4 not only started the Silver Age of comics, but after 4 tryout issues (a new concept at the time) the Flash went on for approx 200 issues during the "Age" that he began...

-J.

Now you try again.

-J.

OK;

1. He didn't appear in the first Marvel crossover SOON THEREAFTER. His appearance in FF 12 coincided with his last appearance in his own Book, which he wouldn't have again for another FIVE YEARS.

2. that's right, your boy spent approx 8 years in the Silver age and 5 of them were without his own book...

3. AND as TRMoore reminded us all, The first issue was so poorly received, Marvel immediately decided to actually change his color from grey to green in a desperate move to generate some notice.

I'm not denying his ultimate popularity but his first book in the SA doesn't belong in the top three...IMHO.

SC4 not only started the Silver Age of comics, but after 4 tryout issues (a new concept at the time) the Flash went on for approx 200 issues during the "Age" that he began...

Not quite. Alter Ego mag carried a lengthy interview with Stan G., who was the colorist for Marvel at the time of its inception and he informed Stan Lee that colouring the Hulk grey, especially during nighttime scenes would make the Hulk blend in with the background colours. Upon seeing the evidence of the published Hulk #1, Stan Lee heeded Stan G's advice, and the Hulk was forevermore Green (except for the time he went back to bring grey, then red, then, er, you get the idea)

-J.

Now you try again.

-J.

OK;

Not quite. Alter Ego mag carried a lengthy interview with Stan G., who was the colorist for Marvel at the time of its inception and he informed Stan Lee that colouring the Hulk grey, especially during nighttime scenes would make the Hulk blend in with the background colours. Upon seeing the evidence of the published Hulk #1, Stan Lee heeded Stan G's advice, and the Hulk was forevermore Green (except for the time he went back to bring grey, then red, then, er, you get the idea)

Thanks for the insight - I let my imagination get the best of me on that point.. (tsk)

Easy vote for me:

Hulk #1

JIM #83

FF #1

Due to the arguments in the last vote, I have come around to placing the X-Men in higher significance than the other 3 books as it spawned a much more important franchise.

Mutants > Inhumans. :sumo:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I was throwing up in the corner.

Giant-Size X-Men 1 is a more important X-Men book than X-Men 1. That's the beginning of the franchise you're talking about. The Silver Age stuff was brutal to read. No surprise that the title performed poorly until they stuck Neal Adams on the book. X-Men didn't need a silver age title, it could've started in the 70's and achieved the same greatness with Claremont, Cockrum, and Byrne at the helm.

Easy vote for me:

Hulk #1

JIM #83

FF #1

Due to the arguments in the last vote, I have come around to placing the X-Men in higher significance than the other 3 books as it spawned a much more important franchise.

Giant-Size X-Men 1 is a more important X-Men book than X-Men 1. That's the beginning of the franchise you're talking about. The Silver Age stuff was brutal to read. No surprise that the title performed poorly until they stuck Neal Adams on the book. X-Men didn't need a silver age title, it could've started in the 70's and achieved the same greatness with Claremont, Cockrum, and Byrne at the helm.

Silver Age Hulk #1-6/#102 up and the JIM run are brutal reads as well. Regardless, the X-Men are a much bigger franchise today than FF, Thor or the Hulk. Without X-Men 1 and the introduction of mutants would there have even been an opportunity for GSX #1 to occur?

Easy vote for me:

Hulk #1

JIM #83

FF #1

GSXM1 is a very important book and arguably the most important bronze age book - but I don't think it is more important than X-Men 1. Let's not forget that X-Men 1 gives the 1st appearance of not only the core X-Men characters (as Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman and Beast are central X-Men characters) but it also provides the 1st appearance of Prof X and most importantly Magneto (arguably the second most important Marvel villain (maybe most important depending on your view of Dr. Doom). Plus the silver age series gives us the first sentinels, the first juggernaut etc. both central villains to the franchise.

So while I agree that GSXM1 is a great book and that the X-Men really took off in the bronze age, X-Men 1 is still the most important X-Men book and the silver age run sets the stage for everything that comes after it. The thing that changed with the bronze age is that they got better writers working on the book and characters that elevated it to Marvel's best title.

Easy vote for me:

Hulk #1

JIM #83

FF #1

GSXM1 is a very important book and arguably the most important bronze age book - but I don't think it is more important than X-Men 1. Let's not forget that X-Men 1 gives the 1st appearance of not only the core X-Men characters (as Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman and Beast are central X-Men characters) but it also provides the 1st appearance of Prof X and most importantly Magneto (arguably the second most important Marvel villain (maybe most important depending on your view of Dr. Doom). Plus the silver age series gives us the first sentinels, the first juggernaut etc. both central villains to the franchise.

So while I agree that GSXM1 is a great book and that the X-Men really took off in the bronze age, X-Men 1 is still the most important X-Men book and the silver age run sets the stage for everything that comes after it. The thing that changed with the bronze age is that they got better writers working on the book and characters that elevated it to Marvel's best title.

And Wolverine...who along with Spidey- the most popular character.

Interestingly as we all know, Wolverine's first appearance is in a Hulk book.

It's obvious that X-Men's SA run was more successful than Hulk's. Overall, can we really compare the Hulk's success to the X-Men? Is anyone going to come out and say the BA Hulk was more popular than that era's X-Men? 80's? 90's? 00s?

I will ask the same question again- does anyone believe that Hulk 1 would be more valuable (and I'm sure that's a factor applied by some voters here) than X-Men 1 if the same number of copies existed for each?

It's not a knock on Hulk 1- still a great SA Marvel key, just not as significant in the history of Marvel Comics as the X-Men.

Y'know something? Participating in this poll has been a wild ride, kind of like a roller coaster full of emotional ups and downs, twists and turns, loops and dead drops. With the loosely defined criteria of voting off the least important books each round, much has been left open to interpretation and in the end, after the last vote of the last round is cast,do you think we would have achieved the stated objective? Personally I don't think so, but it's been a fun ride this far, even though I've thrown up at some of the results. :tonofbricks: