• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Amazing Spider-Man sealed Whitman 3 pack(s)

11 posts in this topic

I can't find them any where. Does anyone have one or some for sale?

You realize that anyone can create a "sealed" Whitman 3-pack, right? Just take three direct market issues and an empty Whitman bag and seal the bag. That's how they were made in the first place.

Yes, I realize that. Lemme try again. Does anyone have an original, never-opened, Whitman 3 pack with ASM issues in it?

I think you're missing my point. My point is that even the "original, never-opened, Whitman 3 packs" are apparently nothing more than empty bags that dealers were given, and into which they placed unsold direct market copies of Amazing Spider-Man. I think it was Shadroch who owned a comic store when this was going on and I believe that he posted something about this a while ago in another Whitman thread.

so what's the story with Uncle Scrooge #179 and other scarce low distribution whitman's? Seems like they were only distributed within whitmen packs made by them?

That's different. What I'm talking about is Marvel comics only. Western Publishing (Whitman) used to be the largest direct market distributor of Marvel Comics, but Western Publishing also published and distributed its own comics using methods that had nothing to do with the distribution of Marvel's comics.

Yes, I realize that. Lemme try again. Does anyone have an original, never-opened, Whitman 3 pack with ASM issues in it?

I think you're missing my point. My point is that even the "original, never-opened, Whitman 3 packs" are apparently nothing more than empty bags that dealers were given, and into which they placed unsold direct market copies of Amazing Spider-Man. I think it was Shadroch who owned a comic store when this was going on and I believe that he posted something about this a while ago in another Whitman thread.

Actually, upon re-reading the webpage Gifflefunk dedicated to the Whitman issue, it is now less clear to me whether SOME of the Whitman 3 Packs were filled by Whitman itself with direct market copies (and some by dealers who were given empty bags and filled them with their own unsold direct market copies), or whether all of them were. What Shadroch said about this was different from what Gifflefunk says on his website and I have no idea whether it is an all-or-nothing thing with those 3 packs. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Just ignore me. Look at the monkey! Look at the silly monkey!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I would really like to know all about these eairly Direct Market Marvels to. confused-smiley-013.gif I always thought that these three pack's were sold in department stores like Big K and local five and dime stores and the comics in these packs were not sold separately at least for the first few years does anyone know if this is the case?

confused-smiley-013.gif I think those bags that the comic stores got to put their unsold comics in to sell must be the bags with the normal price comics in them I have seen a lot of those but I think the packs with the diamond price comics must have came out that way but I really don't know. Bagged by Whitman and sent to Department stores Maybe confused-smiley-013.gif.

smile.gif Well I have been looking for these for a few years now and have about 10 of these 3 packs but only one has a ASM in it and I did see another one on ebay a while back but I got outbid on that one it had a ASM #165 in it which was the first one with the Direct Market Diamond price, I sure wish I had won that one frown.gif.

cloud9.gif Hear is the one I have if anyone would like to see it, but sorry not interested in selling it.

775420-3pac.jpg

775420-3pac.jpg.f7027500123b4efd702067a230ca75af.jpg