• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC using old cases Grade date of May 12th

109 posts in this topic

Wouldn't everyone be happier if they reverted back to the old slab? Admitting the new case was a failure is the first step to making things right again...

They can't.

Unless the upcoming official announcement from CGC is a very big surprise, which I have to say is pretty doubtdul, CGC will ultimately have no choice but to revert to using a case like the older case.

The inner well of the old case was made of Barex, which is out of production.

Various polymer manufacturers are looking for replacements for Barex, but most of the uses do not require something that's considered archival quality (or close). In other words, it may be that none of the replacement products are safe for comic books. The only comic-book friendly material that I know of that's in production is Mylar, and that cannot be formed the way Barex could be.

I'm fairly certain the inability to continue to produce the inner well was one of the driving forces behind the redesign.

PETG

Yes, PETG (Polyethylene terephthalate glycol) is a glycol-modified version of Mylar (Polyethylene terephthalate or PET) that has similar properties but is thermoformable at lower temperatures and is used by the "other guy".

They are on Dre's books...

So Dre is selling books that were graded within the last couple of weeks and slabbed in the old well style holder and Dre posted in the other thread that his bet was that CGC would announce that they are going back to the old style slab? hm

Now I'm getting my hopes up that he had inside info and that is in fact going to be the announcement. Which would make me very happy :cloud9:

I have no inside info - All I've seen is what has been posted on the boards. Your guess is as good as mine. Waiting for the announcement as well.

You are probably the boards' staunchest defender of the new case. You're a large submitter. Why wouldn't you want or insist on getting your books in the new holder?

When was I the staunchest defender of the new cases? I've had issues with the new cases. I've been pointing out mis-conceptions, that's all.

I've been getting books back in old and new cases. These were Walk Throughs yesterday. Picked them up in old cases.

Have you been asking them to use old cases when possible? Just curious.

@Dre - I'm confused. Why are these Walk Throughs from yesterday in the old holder instead of the new one? Did you request it? Did CGC just decide to use them?

Wouldn't everyone be happier if they reverted back to the old slab? Admitting the new case was a failure is the first step to making things right again...

They can't.

Unless the upcoming official announcement from CGC is a very big surprise, which I have to say is pretty doubtdul, CGC will ultimately have no choice but to revert to using a case like the older case.

CGC's market share will surely take a beating, as the negative feedback surrounding the 4/14 cases continues to snowball and spread.

It is not as if CGC is unaware of this.

To regain lost support, CGC (barring a huge shift via the upcoming announcement) will have to revert to an older styled case.My feeling is that they will do so.It will be done quietly, which is really the only way it can be done without hurting CGC's name brand.

They do not have to "admit the new case was a failure".

They can, and I strongly believe that they will, either bring back the previous holder with an improvement to address the potential SRS issues it had or reformat the new holder to allow for an inner well to be used.

The negative feedback/issues surrounding the new case, and CGC's public perception will not only hurt the CGC name brand, over time, but the market as a whole.

I don't think it will hurt the market as a whole, but it will probably screw with the census when people are not bidding on new case slabs as much. Eventually it will be back to business as usual though.

"We made some major adjustments to our cases over the weekend and we are making an announcement about it tomorrow. I think after you hear that you will be okay with the new holder."

From Brittany FWIW, after I asked her about re-holdering using the old slabs.

Then we get a Friday tread to watch !!! :)

If they made adjustments over last weekend, then why are they using the old case on a walk-through from yesterday?

Possible that these "old" cases with wells are actually new "new" cases? hm

They can't.

The inner well of the old case was made of Barex, which is out of production.

Various polymer manufacturers are looking for replacements for Barex, but most of the uses do not require something that's considered archival quality (or close). In other words, it may be that none of the replacement products are safe for comic books. The only comic-book friendly material that I know of that's in production is Mylar, and that cannot be formed the way Barex could be.

I'm fairly certain the inability to continue to produce the inner well was one of the driving forces behind the redesign.

PETG

Yes, PETG (Polyethylene terephthalate glycol) is a glycol-modified version of Mylar (Polyethylene terephthalate or PET) that has similar properties but is thermoformable at lower temperatures and is used by the "other guy".

If it's thermoformable at lower temperatures, might that not also mean that it would become laminated to comic books at lower temperatures? That supposedly happened occasionally with Barex (probably due to exposure to high temperatures during shipping or in dealers' windows).

I haven't seen much evidence that any of these slabbing companies do much in the way of lab testing before they release new products.

don't think it will hurt the market as a whole, but it will probably screw with the census when people are not bidding on new case slabs as much. Eventually it will be back to business as usual though.

Totally disagree as I think this will be a negative turning point for the slabbed comic book market if CGC does not resolve these issues with their new cases in the near future.

If potential sellers are refusing to send their books into CGC for grading and potential buyers are refusing to bid on these new cases from CGC, it will mess with the census numbers. But who really cares about the census when prices are falling as it will definitely not be business as usual when slabs from the biggest company in the market are seen as damaged goods. hm:tonofbricks:

They can't.

CGC's market share will surely take a beating, as the negative feedback surrounding the 4/14 cases continues to snowball and spread.

To regain lost support, CGC (barring a huge shift via the upcoming announcement) will have to revert to an older styled case.My feeling is that they will do so.It will be done quietly, which is really the only way it can be done without hurting CGC's name brand.

They can, and I strongly believe that they will, either bring back the previous holder with an improvement to address the potential SRS issues it had or reformat the new holder to allow for an inner well to be used.

The negative feedback/issues surrounding the new case, and CGC's public perception will not only hurt the CGC name brand, over time, but the market as a whole.

I don't think it will hurt the market as a whole, but it will probably screw with the census when people are not bidding on new case slabs as much. Eventually it will be back to business as usual though.

You don't think that books like Daredevil 1 9.0 , Action 1 5.5 in new holder slabs and the upcoming GA Bats and Sups ( below #20, in 8.0 and 9.0 new holder slabs).....and going across the board with modern keys like the Walking Dead 1 9.8....all books with waves, will hurt the market over the long term?

If a fix is not instituted, business will not go back to usual.

I do believe that CGC is mindful of this and that the problems will be corrected.

don't think it will hurt the market as a whole, but it will probably screw with the census when people are not bidding on new case slabs as much. Eventually it will be back to business as usual though.

Totally disagree as I think this will be a negative turning point for the slabbed comic book market if CGC does not resolve these issues with their new cases in the near future.

If potential sellers are refusing to send their books into CGC for grading and potential buyers are refusing to bid on these new cases from CGC, it will mess with the census numbers. But who really cares about the census when prices are falling as it will definitely not be business as usual when slabs from the biggest company in the market are seen as damaged goods. hm:tonofbricks:

Zero evidence that I know of that this is happening.

Zero evidence that I know of that this is happening.

Of course this is not happening yet.

This is way too early in the game as most collectors are not even aware of these problems with the new CGC cases. It takes time for this information to get out into the general marketplace. :gossip:

That is why my comment is more about future prices if and only if CGC are unable to resolve these issues within a reasonable period of time. It would definitely have a negative impact on their brand and on prices for CGC slabbed books if they are still putting out similar defective slabs a year or possibly even 6 months from now. hm

Only a small handful of slabs from the past few months, and only to those of us who frequent the boards. It's very likely that a majority of people who buy slabs don't even know what's going on right now. But enough do to impact the census probably. If CGC fixes the problem this can all be forgotten about before any real damage is done. If they don't, eventually someone at Bleedingcool will write an article about it and things might not be so good for CGC or the census for a while. Old slabs will still sell fine, and assuming CGC doesn't fix the case, there are people out there who would slab a comic for someone not looking to get into a new CGC case.

They can't.

You don't think that books like Daredevil 1 9.0 , Action 1 5.5 in new holder slabs and the upcoming GA Bats and Sups ( below #20, in 8.0 and 9.0 new holder slabs).....and going across the board with modern keys like the Walking Dead 1 9.8....all books with waves, will hurt the market over the long term?

I do believe that CGC is mindful of this and that the problems will be corrected.

I'd imagine people will hold off on slabbing their Action 1's for a little while now.

I'd imagine people will hold off on slabbing their Action 1's for a little while now.

Well, the CGC 5.5 copy of Action 1 was just newly graded only about 2 or 3 weeks ago. :gossip:

Apparently, the owner is none too happy now since he was not aware of all of these issues with the new CGC case holder. doh!

Yeah but how long ago did he send it off? There will be a few that slip through the cracks between the time books are shipped and the time the problems came to light. And I'm still thinking there won't be a PR disaster if things are fixed before they have a bunch of articles about it being reposted all over Facebook. But now I figure most people who deal with big books like that are aware and will be holding off until they get the all clear from modern CGC collectors.