• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 & Brexit

124 posts in this topic

At the end of the day, we need to make decisions on how much risk we can tolerate, and approach our purchases/investments that way. Can't swallow a stock market crash? Put less money in it. Will you think about jumping into a river if an AF15 crashes? Time to sell it off.

I'm still just trying to figure out what the :censored: the "Brexit" has to do with Spider-Man.

-J.

The same thing the financial crisis of 2007, the collapse of Bear Stearns, the real estate bubble pop, and the recent cratering of Apple stock have to do with it.

Nothing.

I'm still just trying to figure out what the :censored: the "Brexit" has to do with Spider-Man.

-J.

The same thing the financial crisis of 2007, the collapse of Bear Stearns, the real estate bubble pop, and the recent cratering of Apple stock have to do with it.

Nothing.

Disagree

-J.

Nothing.

:sumo:

-J.

Nothing.

Disagree

Disagree with what? All those things already happened and they had little to no impact on key comic values. If serious American economic issues didn't have an impact on American comic books, why would a foreign economic issue have any impact at all? It wouldn't and it won't.

-J.

Nothing.

Disagree

Disagree with what? All those things already happened and they had little to no impact on key comic values. If serious American economic issues didn't have an impact on American comic books, why would a foreign economic issue have any impact at all? It wouldn't and it won't.

The reaction has begun

-J.

Nothing.

Disagree

The reaction has begun

Not sure how that's an answer to my relatively straightforward question, but ok.

Let's check back in 6 months when our copies of AF 15 have gone up some more. (thumbs u

-J.

Nothing.

Disagree

The reaction has begun

Not sure how that's an answer to my relatively straightforward question, but ok.

Let's check back in 6 months when our copies of AF 15 have gone up some more. (thumbs u

Peter G,

The consensus seems to lean toward Brexit having very little to no impact on comic collectibles. Don't buy those victory lap Nikes yet. :sorry:

This comic world is what YOU make it. It can be a hobby, a business, or a mix of both. I always keep retirement funds and the hobby separate. I'm age 55 and that has paid off handsomely.

I can't control what happens tomorrow.

+1 Being diversified is a sound strategy. One portfolio can be diversified by having stocks, bonds, real estate, gold, fine art, fine art, vintage baseball cards etc.., and of course "funny books". Never put all your eggs in one basket.

I would be cautious giving advice to diversify portfolios with collectibles in the same vein as traditional investments like stocks, bonds, other funds, businesses in general and to an extent real estate. The individual markets, liquidity and volatility profiles are very different and frankly unless you have exhausted traditional retirement savings methods you shouldn't be putting sizable funds into collectibles. In reality you need to be quite financially secure for collectibles to be a reasonable diversification for retirement - which only applies to a very small population of people.

This comic world is what YOU make it. It can be a hobby, a business, or a mix of both. I always keep retirement funds and the hobby separate. I'm age 55 and that has paid off handsomely.

+1 Being diversified is a sound strategy. One portfolio can be diversified by having stocks, bonds, real estate, gold, fine art, fine art, vintage baseball cards etc.., and of course "funny books". Never put all your eggs in one basket.

I would be cautious giving advice to diversify portfolios with collectibles in the same vein as traditional investments like stocks, bonds, other funds, businesses in general and to an extent real estate. The individual markets, liquidity and volatility profiles are very different and frankly unless you have exhausted traditional retirement savings methods you shouldn't be putting sizable funds into collectibles. In reality you need to be quite financially secure for collectibles to be a reasonable diversification for retirement - which only applies to a very small population of people.

Being diversified and not putting all your eggs in one basket is not okay? It's okay to be diversified to own tangible assets like some of the collectibles I mention; hence, "funny books". For example, if you were in U.K. and you held an AF15 three days ago or longer, you would have been protected from the volatility of the pound currency. An AF15 hasn't plunge in value say 10-20% overnight like the pound did recently. Owning a high demand and desirable collectible can be rewarding as a hobby and investment. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but again...one should have a diversified portfolio

-J.

Nothing.

Disagree

The reaction has begun

It's possible the reaction can be in the mild downside on quality vintage comics...but when prices has risen another 20-50%?. If this occur, then a pullback of 10%-20%?. Another example that can occur, is prices can stay stagnant and smaller percentage increase compare to the last ten years performance.

Being diversified and not putting all your eggs in one basket is not okay? It's okay to be diversified to own tangible assets like some of the collectibles I mention; hence, "funny books". For example, if you were in U.K. and you held an AF15 three days ago or longer, you would have been protected from the volatility of the pound currency. An AF15 hasn't plunge in value say 10-20% overnight like the pound did recently. Owning a high demand and desirable collectible can be rewarding as a hobby and investment. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but again...one should have a diversified portfolio

I didn't say not to diversify, what I said is to be cautious grouping comics (or any collectible for that matter) in with traditional retirement or investment methods. We can all come up with examples to prove or disprove a theory (we all have the Internet), especially using extreme examples like Brexit.

A hobby and your retirement should be 100% separated. Collectibles have proven to be volatile and unpredictable investments over time (with very few small exceptions) and shouldn't be your first, second or even third choice when you are investing for retirement.

We don't have to agree, but I am asking that you be cautious when posting about the subject. Buying stocks, bonds or investing in real estate are not equal to buying comics for the purposes of acquiring wealth for retirement. You are posting as if they are all just "choices" to diversify a portfolio, when in reality they are not equally viable options.

-J.

Nothing.

Disagree

The reaction has begun

Peter G,

The consensus seems to lean toward Brexit having very little to no impact on comic collectibles. Don't buy those victory lap Nikes yet. :sorry:

I don't follow the consensus. That is partially why I expected Brexit to occur.

http://www.safehaven.com/article/41848/economic-predictions-for-summer-2016-the-epocalypse-keeps-crashing

cool article bro - do you even have an Af15?

Yes. Two copies.

Do you own a lot of original art?

cool article bro - do you even have an Af15?

Yes. Two copies.

Do you own a lot of original art?

No

So you're not the member formerly known as Krazy Kat?