• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada Post Strike July 2nd 2016 and Delivery Times?

77 posts in this topic

If anyone has the most up to date info please post it here (please continue to do so as newer updates come out). This sucks I have some books coming and would arrived by this Friday (Canada Day holiday) and would have been delivered July 3rd but now who knows may be only in a few weeks before I get them.

I really hope they do not go on strike!!

It's not looking good

Ninety per cent of union members voted in favour of a strike, and Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra officially rejected a letter requesting a two-week extension for the July 2 lockout.

The work stoppage would affect approximately 50,000 workers across Canada, including mail delivery personnel.

It's not looking good

Ninety per cent of union members voted in favour of a strike, and Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra officially rejected a letter requesting a two-week extension for the July 2 lockout.

The work stoppage would affect approximately 50,000 workers across Canada, including mail delivery personnel.

In some ways it's not very a good long term business move to strike.

Postal revenue has been dropping for years as digital media grows.

There are other options besides Canada Post that work very effectively. CP striking forces people to move outside of their comfort zones and finding other companies to use.

Some companies do a VERY good job and people may not end up going back to CP, further complicating matters and reducing over all postal revenue.

It's not looking good

There are other options besides Canada Post that work very effectively. CP striking forces people to move outside of their comfort zones and finding other companies to use.

Some companies do a VERY good job and people may not end up going back to CP, further complicating matters and reducing over all postal revenue.

I agree that work stoppage is never a wise move, but postal services remain a permanent fixture in the North American logistics and transportation economies because of the legacy handshakes happening between CP and USPS, AND because people rarely deviate outside their comfort zone when it comes to shipping.

I can probably count on two hands how many parcels I've had handled by a courier company in all my years of collecting. It would be great if I could just ask a seller to use FedEx ground, but 7 out of 10 times they act like they're doing me a favour even shipping to Canada, and the other 3 times, it's people that refuse to ship to Canada. They won't even hear my appeals for agreeing to cover whatever out of pocket expenses to ship to me, with whatever company they prefer - it's just a flat out no.

As for reducing overall postal revenues, I imagine nothing will really effect change unless USPS services allow senders the option of checking-off an "alternate" carrier to cater to the receiver preference the second it crosses the border. I know for instance USPS has an Express Service that uses FedEx, and I've used that in the past, but it is expensive even if it's priced slightly less than FedEx ground, and I can't see it being useful for the majority of my collecting purchases.

I should also mention that private carriers like FedEx seem to have caught up with UPS as far as dinging Canadian recipients with extortionate brokerage fees. This practice alone frustrates consumers enough that they put up with traditional postal services.

It's not looking good

I agree that work stoppage is never a wise move, but postal services remain a permanent fixture in the North American logistics and transportation economies because of the legacy handshakes happening between CP and USPS, AND because people rarely deviate outside their comfort zone when it comes to shipping.

I can probably count on two hands how many parcels I've had handled by a courier company in all my years of collecting. It would be great if I could just ask a seller to use FedEx ground, but 7 out of 10 times they act like they're doing me a favour even shipping to Canada, and the other 3 times, it's people that refuse to ship to Canada. They won't even hear my appeals for agreeing to cover whatever out of pocket expenses to ship to me, with whatever company they prefer - it's just a flat out no.

As for reducing overall postal revenues, I imagine nothing will really effect change unless USPS services allow senders the option of checking-off an "alternate" carrier to cater to the receiver preference the second it crosses the border. I know for instance USPS has an Express Service that uses FedEx, and I've used that in the past, but it is expensive even if it's priced slightly less than FedEx ground, and I can't see it being useful for the majority of my collecting purchases.

I should also mention that private carriers like FedEx seem to have caught up with UPS as far as dinging Canadian recipients with extortionate brokerage fees. This practice alone frustrates consumers enough that they put up with traditional postal services.

This boggles my mind. I've given up on even looking at ads that detail they won't ship to Canada. I've never, ever had a problem with paying what it takes to get something I want across the boarder, and I've never had an issue with anything coming across. I just don't get it.

I think it's safe to say that Canadians should be prepped and ready for this strike. I've already taken it into account for myself and made other arrangements including not buying a single thing till the issue is resolved. However long that may take

Couple weeks off during the summer ... do some negotiating with Trudeau ... hit some comic shows stateside ... come back to work with a fat raise and maybe a night with Harley Quinn!. All the public employee unions will be doing it.

The Canadian federal government is switching to Purolator for key daily inter-office packages and recommending updating to direct deposit on their Service Canada website. For seniors or Employment Insurance receiptients who are expecting a paper letter, "it's in the mail." :wishluck:

It's not looking good

This is me, in terms of being reluctant to try other services. I live in a smaller town, not a ton of options and CP is like a five minute walk from my work that I can mail packages on my lunch. So, with CP likely going on "hiatus" going to try FedEx.

Also, I kept my higher priced items up on eBay but cancelled my lower priced items as there seems to be no economical alternative for shipping low cost items on the cheap.

Anyway, :wishluck: that the first item arrives safe and sound!

The Canadian federal government is switching to Purolator for key daily inter-office packages and recommending updating to direct deposit on their Service Canada website. For seniors or Employment Insurance recipients who are expecting a paper letter, "it's in the mail." :wishluck:

Dear Odin, please tell me this is not an official statement and you are yanking my chain for a kneejerk reaction.

recipients

My package is coming registered mail so hopefully 400km is something they can cover with that service overnight and arrive tomorrow. Usually I am all good with this service coming from the same city but I just hope I do not get the bad end of the deal this time.

It is interesting to see that CP turned a decent profit last year and are taking such a hardline stance with the union this go round. They keep raising rates to gouge us, and it seems like every time the contracts are up there is a lockout or strike. At this rate, I would be fine with the GoC absorbing it as an essential service and cutting management staff to reduce costs. Enough is enough.

It's not looking good

This boggles my mind. I've given up on even looking at ads that detail they won't ship to Canada. I've never, ever had a problem with paying what it takes to get something I want across the boarder, and I've never had an issue with anything coming across. I just don't get it.

They don't want to fill out the customs information, they also don't want to deal with value declaration. There are some of us Canadians that want full value declared and insurance on our parcels, but I think most prefer to have less value declared to save money.

For giggles I was thinking of doing a board sale, and in my rules state no USA buyers. I will ship anywhere else in the world, but not to the USA and I would call it the Revenge Thread. :P

I would make an exception for a US buyer only if they could send me a link of a board sale that shipped something to Canada. :devil:

Yesterday (Wednesday) was the last day you could ship something from Canada and be guaranteed to get there. Sent out 4 packages. I sell about 1000 bucks a month of decals on eBay so it will bite into my summer money. I'll probably take down my listings.

eBay sent me a message saying not to but I don't see why not. If shipping is restricted, buyers won't be able to give you negative feedback because of it.