• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charge backs

17 posts in this topic

Not through PayPal. This was a payment made through QuickBooks. The representative of the bank said they could occur up to a year from payment date depending on the card. Kind of scary if you think about it.

Has anyone ever had a charge back done on a credit card months after the original transaction?

Hey, I warned you if you didn't press my books to get 11.0 grades, I wasn't paying. :sumo:

I did a charge back 6 months after the transaction.

I was told I would have to pay upfront and wait 3-4 months for what I ordered from a local business.

After 6 months, I kind of forgot about it, but I happened to drive by the business and it was gone. I filed for a charge back and won.

Hey Joey,

I have had one in a previous business, and I have done it to another business.

The one I did it to was for a body kit for a car... yes, yes when I was younger and less wise. But I charged $6k for the kit. Promised to be delivered in 12 weeks. Never received it and had emails for 3 months after that. The business was sold to another person that took it upon themselves to sell the only 2 kits done at the time and kept promising the other 10 people in line they will get theirs within 2 weeks after 5 months of waiting. 4 kits go out, and no more replies to emails to anyone. Call credit card company, submit emails and at 6 months got all $6k back.

When it happened to a previous business owned it was for items purchased from our site. The buyer had to input their credit card number for each transaction and press pay. No information stored. 3 months after the customer's largest purchase they did a chargeback stating they never authorized it. We provided the credit card company all the logs of transactions from the person, our terms and conditions, IP address of computer and time stamps. I thought the transaction was in our favor since we kept everything and well, the customer got his money back and got to keep $3k of goods and services.

So in the end..... sucks for small businesses. Just FYI.

I doubt I will allow credit card payments moving forward.

I don't think you'll lose much business over it. Your business is mostly a TRUST-based business to begin with. Anyone who doesn't trust you with their check probably shouldn't be trusting you with their valuable comic books, and anyone who can't get enough money into paypal probably isn't someone who you want to deal with. Leaving just the convenience factor. As pressing/resto generally isn't an 'impulse' buy, I don't think the loss of credit card 'convenience' will be a factor except in the rare cases where someone wants to submit to you at a con for ON-SITE pressing when they weren't otherwise planning to AND can't pay another way. But even then, most can get cash, write a check, put it on account (if know them well) to be paid later, or load their paypal/venmo on their phone relatively quickly.

I don't think it will have a material impact negatively, but may result in you being paid more in cash/check (no fees), and less potential hassle. But you may consider using an app like Square JUST for on-site pressing at cons for impulsive convenience, and you can even charge them a fee for that convenience.

If you use PP and it's backed by a credit card, then can't that charge be reversed as well?

So it would mean no Paypal, no credit cards.

Not that many people have checks anymore, I know I use them, but lots of people don't.

If you use PP and it's backed by a credit card, then can't that charge be reversed as well?

Yes! I had a customer in the UK who bought something from me NINE months prior to them doing a chargeback (saying that they didn't authorize it), and PayPal froze the funds in my account until I proved I had sent the items. They were so old that they were long gone from eBay, but fortunately I save all of my receipts and was able to prove it was sent.

I've had a couple of other chargebacks through PayPal where they were just flat out fraud (regular buyer for months, then does a chargeback on the latest order) and PayPal sided with me. I have no idea if the customer ended up ripping off his cc company or PayPal, but I was protected by PayPal & blocked the bidder, so I just let it go.

That being said, it is super rare and I can understand your decision to not accept credit cards anymore, but I feel like you could be going out of your way to prevent a 1 in 1000 occurrence.

So it would mean no Paypal, no credit cards.

Not that many people have checks anymore, I know I use them, but lots of people don't.

paypal is a little bit more even in terms of dispute resolution. The credit card company is on the side of their customer for obvious reasons. The seller is usually the one paying paypal, and with the nature of paypal they have an obviously higher interest in keeping things somewhat fair. They provide 'more' protection for you than when a credit card is used, especially AMEX. AMEX will eff any seller any day of the week and make the seller pay more for the privilege of accepting AMEX.

On an unrelated note, I LOVE my AMEX card (not because I like to eff up sellers, but for the protection that's offered-someone tried to screw us over on a tour we bought in Mexico at a tourist trap travel agency. Oversold us on a package that was too good to be true [took our money], and they didn't deliver on their end. We asked for a partial refund, were denied, and ended up getting a FULL refund by the credit card company.).

But if you have Amex as your funding source for PP, you can go to Amex once PP denies the claim.

I know i was able to do that years ago, when a glass seller forged Tiffany and other types of glass. She/he (it was a man posing as a woman) was arrested later, and Amex refunded any credit card payments. Unfortunatley some of the payments were by check.

I don't know if this has changed, but I don't think so.

You could do a chargeback through the credit card company even if PP okayed the payment.

Not taking credit cards at all (I assume through Paypal) would likely be a mistake. Short of cash or a bank check, all forms of payment carry some risk. Personal checks can bounce many weeks later. Even money orders can be cancelled. But I do agree that credit cards are unique in the 90-180 day chargeback.

Your best defense is to keep good records so you have evidence in your favor.

As always, though, the larger the amount the less I want to take a credit card. It is always wise to mitigate risk on large transactions with unknown trading partners.

I recently had charge back in March through PayPal on a credit card transaction from last November. I immediately contacted PayPal and voiced my displeasure, but they advised me the credit card company will always side with their customer at first.

Thankfully, I always get a receipt from my local post office for all eBay transactions and never hand over packages to my letter carrier. He's great, but he cannot provide any concrete proof of shipment. It took a little time, but that receipt ensured I got the money back that was deducted from my account from the bogus charge back. A 180 day charge back window is absolutely ridiculous, but PayPal eventually did right by me.