• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here have any personal experience with confronting Ebay scammers?

39 posts in this topic

I've read many stories on these boards about people getting scammed & was just wondering if anyone has confronted the scammer, or knows of someone who did. It seems like it would be a definite possibility if you scammed someone out of a significant amount of money. I've never been scammed, but I think that I might get a little upset if I ever was...and I don't even spend that much on comics.

Yes and in retrospect I probably could have been arrested.

I was young and stupid and years later I would not repeat it.

However, I did get my money back.

Yes- but my story wouldn't be applicable today, as you can no longer see who the other bidders are. But yes I caught a guy shilling his auctions, hitting our top reserve, and then withdrawing the last bid.

I let the guy know I knew he was scamming. Cant remember if I tried to "strong arm" him after the fact (it was many years ago). I did notify the top bidder on one of his other expensive auctions, and gave them the evidence.

Ebay is pretty safe if you learn the ropes though.

Worst scam would have been me buying expensive OA- a forged SA Infantino Flash splash. The ebay guy was selling a SA Flash cover color guide and had a picture of the splash randomly in one of the photos for the color guide listing. I inquired about it and he was willing to take offers. I do not know if the guy knew it was fake though. By an act of God, the real splash was offered to me privately by another dealer at literally the same time. So once I got through that initial confusion I was able to determine which was the forgery. Saved myself serious heartache as if I bought it I think that would have killed my interest in OA.

By happenstance I found a guy selling a couple Wolverine issues with phony signatures (ungraded of course) and politely informed him of my reasoning. It didn't end up going anywhere as he insisted they were all obtained by a reputable source who he bought the collection from, but I pretty much knew the fix was in when he didn't even know Tim Townsend's first name (think he called him Mark if memory serves).

It was more amusing for me than anything, and the books didn't sell for much in the end.

I've been scammed on ebay three times. Twice I managed to confront the sellers.

One was a comic shop in Miami that I won a set of Avengers Annuals from. I never received them and the ebay account was shut down. A few months later, I had business in Ft Lauderdale and on a whim called the store and it was open. Drove down and met the owner a very nice woman who told me her ex-boyfriend had done all the ebay and had ran off with both the money and a lot of the better stock. She even showed me a police report she had filed. I was out about $35 and we settled for two graphic novels. I then bought a few books.

The other time was with a scammer that took a $100 deposit on a pre-order and closed his account immediately after. About a year later, I was at a show in Pennsylvania and there was a guy with a banner with the same name. My scammer was from Maryland so I went over and made small talk with him. He came off as a nasty guy, a bit twitchy and I was pretty sure it was him. I asked to see an Avengers 4 he had that was worth about $500. I made a show out of examining it and mentioned how he owed me $100. His face turned red when I said why and he said to take $100 worth of books but not his Avengers 4. He said it was on consignment and was almost in tears. I realized I was enjoying it a bit too much so I gave him back the book and took some other stuff instead.

I've been selling on ebay forever and have seen many scams from buyers and sellers.

For comics, a guy tried to sell me a Dark Knight returns book one third printing as a first by coloring over the "third printing" on the inside cover with dark marker. He posted images of an unaltered inside cover so it was clearly a scam. He had no defense when I sent it back to him. But the lesson is, always check inside of books you buy for printing #'s, value stamps, or for any untold damage.

When I sold some legitimate software keys, a virtual item not protected by ebay but commonly sold there of course I had the scammers come out of the woodwork. There were accounts made and legitimized with feedback from many small purchases. These were from sellers who immediately give good feedback for their $0.29 item that ships from China. The scammer had 40 or 50 of these "good" purchases over a month or two and then started making the targeted purchases, one being my software. I luckily caught it, the feedback just didn't look right and I felt something was off. I refunded them immediately and never sent the keys. Sure enough, I started seeing negative-positive feedback alerting to chargebacks from other sellers. The account was suspended soon thereafter. Trick here is to only accept payments from paypal accounts with VERIFIED addresses and ebay accounts over 6 months-a year old. Or not sell virtual goods!

I have been buying on Ebay and have been scammed a few times. As a seller, you just can't ship internationally without using Ebay's Global service. Otherwise, you have no proof of delivery and poof you lose. Most of the times I have been scammed as a buyer are still unknown as undisclosed restoration or defects in the hundreds of raw books I have purchased await CGC discovery. I figure to make up for any losses with volume!

It is not the $ amount per say but the idea that your got duped that stings. I recently purchased a figure on ebay that clearly had damage before the seller shipped it. He tried to state that there was no damage and showed me the fuzziest picture ever, in the more awkward position too. But the statue was black and the damage was a stark white. You could still see it despite the fuzziness. I called him out on it and asked why he would even have a picture of such low quality at that specific angle? Ebay refunds your money so it is basically a hassle to repack etc. I will not be purchasing figures on ebay again though.

I have gotten scammed from another source and actually tracked down the guy via his return address. He sent me only two of the books I ordered. I called him several times over 6 months. Eventually I got my books. A year later he showed back up on the site and scammed two more people.

I've read many stories on these boards about people getting scammed & was just wondering if anyone has confronted the scammer, or knows of someone who did. It seems like it would be a definite possibility if you scammed someone out of a significant amount of money. I've never been scammed, but I think that I might get a little upset if I ever was...and I don't even spend that much on comics.

Pre-Internet, I ordered 100 x Spawn #1 as a pre order, advanced wholesale order via an ad in a comic magazine soliciting advance releases, for, I think between $0.50-1.00 per issue (I've long since forgotten the number 25+ years later). Despite several attempts to call and write, no response. So, when the comic came out, still no response. I even inquired with the better business bureau, and came to find out that i was not the only victim.

I am still a tad disturbed by the experience, less about the money lost or even potential investment lost (it's not like the books are valuable today), but more about getting "one upped" and victim of the scam.

On eBay, I once has a buyer try to extort a refund from me due to buyers remorse, using profanity and very unprofessional language and describing their plan if I did not conform. I did not conform. I tried and did forward the exact communication to eBay's customer support, and that is when I figured out how horrible eBay's system is and lack of seller support. The person sent the merchandise back in an empty envelope with tracking, got their refund via ebay's automated judgement and went on their merry way. To me, if I were that person, I wouldn't be so bold to commit such a crime knowing the victim was their home address... If they were to mess with the wrong person who wanted to extract revenge, they could pay a higher price.

I have been buying on Ebay and have been scammed a few times. As a seller, you just can't ship internationally without using Ebay's Global service. Otherwise, you have no proof of delivery and poof you lose. Most of the times I have been scammed as a buyer are still unknown as undisclosed restoration or defects in the hundreds of raw books I have purchased await CGC discovery. I figure to make up for any losses with volume!

That used to be correct, not anymore.1st class and priority now provide the same level of fraud protection for sellers.

If you ship via USPS 1st Class International, you get a tracking number, which tracks delivery to the shipping address on the label.

It is called e-con tracking, it is given at no charge, and linked to the ebay item number.

I've been selling on ebay forever and have seen many scams from buyers and sellers.

For comics, a guy tried to sell me a Dark Knight returns book one third printing as a first by coloring over the "third printing" on the inside cover with dark marker. He posted images of an unaltered inside cover so it was clearly a scam. He had no defense when I sent it back to him. But the lesson is, always check inside of books you buy for printing #'s, value stamps, or for any untold damage.

When I sold some legitimate software keys, a virtual item not protected by ebay but commonly sold there of course I had the scammers come out of the woodwork. There were accounts made and legitimized with feedback from many small purchases. These were from sellers who immediately give good feedback for their $0.29 item that ships from China. The scammer had 40 or 50 of these "good" purchases over a month or two and then started making the targeted purchases, one being my software. I luckily caught it, the feedback just didn't look right and I felt something was off. I refunded them immediately and never sent the keys. Sure enough, I started seeing negative-positive feedback alerting to chargebacks from other sellers. The account was suspended soon thereafter. Trick here is to only accept payments from paypal accounts with VERIFIED addresses and ebay accounts over 6 months-a year old. Or not sell virtual goods!

If you refund someone does ebay remove their ability to leave you feedback on the item? I figure they are still going to give you a negative because why not. They didn't get their way.

That used to be correct, not anymore.1st class and priority now provide the same level of fraud protection for sellers.

If you ship via USPS 1st Class International, you get a tracking number, which tracks delivery to the shipping address on the label.

It is called e-con tracking, it is given at no charge, and linked to the ebay item number.

Thanks for the info. eBay accepts this proof of delivery?

If you refund someone does ebay remove their ability to leave you feedback on the item? I figure they are still going to give you a negative because why not. They didn't get their way.

I guess so...I got a negative today from someone I refunded the other day. :sumo:

As Bird correctly points out, no. Once a sale is recorded even in the event of a refund, feedback is an ongoing option for the buyer. The seller can of course only leave "positive" feedback (but your text can say negative things if that was your experience).

As Bird correctly points out, no. Once a sale is recorded even in the event of a refund, feedback is an ongoing option for the buyer. The seller can of course only leave "positive" feedback (but your text can say negative things if that was your experience).

rantrant

I think removing the negative feedback option for sellers was some of the dumbest mess eBay has ever done. Yeah its great you can file a non-payment report and potentially get a "strike" on someone, but no one else sees that. Positive feedback percentage is the easiest first glance metric to help you get an idea who you're dealing with. If buyers can do it, sellers should be able to as well. What's fair is fair. Not that eBay cares about one peon's opinion of course...

Thanks for the info. eBay accepts this proof of delivery?

Delivery confirmation is all that is needed for items less than $700 (if I recall correctly). Above that amount you need signature confirmation. As a Canadian buyer, I never purchase from sellers using the GSP. Besides the higher fees (total scam), you cannot combine shipping. I almost always buy more than one item from any seller, so this disqualifies them.

This also applies as a Canadian seller. However for items less than about $20, I've never used tracking to keep the shipping costs low - so far I've never had a problem!