• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Verify if this is Kirby?

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just a quick question for you. Recently a buddy of mine purchased a page from Charlton's Bullseye #2 (1954) opening story, "Trial By Fire" for $1400 and was told by more than one source that it contains Kirby pencils but even the guys over at the Kirbymuseum did a blog debunking this saying only the last story has Kirby's work. There were three stories in this issue and the first doesn't contain Kirby's work. I would love to hear your take on this?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1327987&GSub=108678

Credits:

BullsEye (1954) #2

Published Oct 1954 by Mainline/Charlton.

"Trial By Fire," "Union Jack," and "Grand Prize"

(Joe Simon/Jack Kirby art on last story).

Simon/Kirby cover. Cover price $0.10.

Not that I'm an expert by any means but Bullseye's face/head look Kirbyesque in the first 3 panels.

For what it's worth, GCD lists Kirby as being connected to all 3 stories in this issue If I'm reading it correctly.

This from that blog:

Bullseye #2 (October 1954) “Trial By Fire”, art by an unidentified artist

"Simon and Kirby used a lot of different artists during this period. This was probably due to the combination of supply (comics had begun to crash resulting in a number of artists looking for work) and demand (there was a need to replace the normally prolific Kirby who was preoccupied with business matters). With such a large selection of artists to choose from, I am surprised that Joe and Jack picked this one to do the lead story “Trial By Fire”. It is not that he is a poor artist (he actually did a pretty good job on this story) but I just cannot help feel that someone else (John Prentice or Bob McCarty) could have produce a superior story. As the reader may have gathered, I have not been able to identify the artist although further research should rectify that situation. The splash may have been laid out by Jack Kirby although without seeing other work by the artist it is hard to be sure."