• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nobody is complaining about the case? Does everything seem good now?

160 posts in this topic

Considering that is in a inner well, I would say that is perhaps a book composition issue. Was it pressed? What are the environmental factors? 2012 to 2016 is four years. Did you look at it once, then put it away for four years without gazing at it again?

People also seem to forget that comics aren't necessarily perfectly flat to begin with.

I have raw books that display waves at the top - they were never slabbed, never pressed, that's just how they are.

Be careful Mike - I got slammed for mentioning this when it came to some Moderns. Even though I was pointing out bad books in the new cases when I saw them people were calling me an apologist.

doh!

For those wondering about identifying the 3rd and 4th generation holders, the easiest way is by looking for the heat seal around the left and right side edges. In Heritage and Comic Connect Auctions this is pretty easy as you can blow up the scan on high resolution and see it. In hand its really easy to see the heat seal / inner well.

Can anybody provide more help regarding identifying the 3rd/4th generation holders, versus the ones that use a pressing technique to hold the book in place?

Photos?

I just purchased and received a newly slabbed comic from an online seller. He claims he received it from CGC in early July "if I remember correctly," which should mean it was a newer slab, right? But I think he might be fudging things so he doesn't have to take a return. It looks like the inner well is holding the book in place, and there are a lot of Newton rings up each side.

I might just mail it to CGC for a reholder -- but I am annoyed if the seller is trying to misstate the situation so I won't return it.

Also, will CGC reholder a 1st/2nd-generation new slab for somebody who purchased it from somebody else, or do you have to be the original slabbing customer in order to get a free upgrade from CGC? I could call them on this myself, and perhaps will, but would like to know if anybody already has the answer here.

If the seller did not disclose that it's an earlier version of the slab, I might just keep the book anyway and ship it to CGC for an updated slab if that's an option. But if I have to pay for an updated slab, then I want to hold the seller accountable for not being upfront in disclosing when the book was slabbed by CGC.

Post a picture of the slab - they're fairly easy to identify.

Considering that is in a inner well, I would say that is perhaps a book composition issue. Was it pressed? What are the environmental factors? 2012 to 2016 is four years. Did you look at it once, then put it away for four years without gazing at it again?

People also seem to forget that comics aren't necessarily perfectly flat to begin with.

I have raw books that display waves at the top - they were never slabbed, never pressed, that's just how they are.

Be careful Mike - I got slammed for mentioning this when it came to some Moderns. Even though I was pointing out bad books in the new cases when I saw them people were calling me an apologist.

doh!

You are a pom pom poster. Just own it.

For those wondering about identifying the 3rd and 4th generation holders, the easiest way is by looking for the heat seal around the left and right side edges. In Heritage and Comic Connect Auctions this is pretty easy as you can blow up the scan on high resolution and see it. In hand its really easy to see the heat seal / inner well.

Can anybody provide more help regarding identifying the 3rd/4th generation holders, versus the ones that use a pressing technique to hold the book in place?

Photos?

I just purchased and received a newly slabbed comic from an online seller. He claims he received it from CGC in early July "if I remember correctly," which should mean it was a newer slab, right? But I think he might be fudging things so he doesn't have to take a return. It looks like the inner well is holding the book in place, and there are a lot of Newton rings up each side.

I might just mail it to CGC for a reholder -- but I am annoyed if the seller is trying to misstate the situation so I won't return it.

Also, will CGC reholder a 1st/2nd-generation new slab for somebody who purchased it from somebody else, or do you have to be the original slabbing customer in order to get a free upgrade from CGC? I could call them on this myself, and perhaps will, but would like to know if anybody already has the answer here.

If the seller did not disclose that it's an earlier version of the slab, I might just keep the book anyway and ship it to CGC for an updated slab if that's an option. But if I have to pay for an updated slab, then I want to hold the seller accountable for not being upfront in disclosing when the book was slabbed by CGC.

Okay here you go, and thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. Anybody know the exact date when CGC upgraded to the non-internal-pressing type of slab?

164558.jpg.738820a9c3e024b30b6166d4f7dfb4cd.jpg

Photos?

P.S. Anybody know the exact date when CGC upgraded to the non-internal-pressing type of slab?

Non inner well slab. That is the version that has had the most issues.

Photos?

Greeeaaat. When did cgc start using inner well? What would you do if you purchased this -- return to seller? Will cgc reholder for free even though I am not original slabbing customer???

Photos?

Greeeaaat. When did cgc start using inner well? What would you do if you purchased this -- return to seller? Will cgc reholder for free even though I am not original slabbing customer???

They've been good about reholdering it so I would contact them ASAP and get it done before they change their mind. It will be much slower than normal reholders. Pushing a full calendar month for mine.

Photos?

If there are issues with the slab, they'll reholder it for free even though you weren't the one that originally slabbed it :thumbsup:

Photos?

If there are issues with the slab, they'll reholder it for free even though you weren't the one that originally slabbed it :thumbsup:

:applause:

Yeah, anyone with the pressure based slabs---this is as good as a recall.

Anyone know the exact date that CGC ceased using the pressure-based slabs?

I bought from somebody who wrote "fresh from CGC" in his late-August listing. When asked, he said "if I remember correctly" the comic was slabbed in early July. I was pretty sure CGC changed its inner well in mid-June (they put out their press release about it on June 24), so I figured I was okay to buy the CGC-graded comic.

Now I get the comic and it's in the flawed holder. I'll have to pay some money for the shipment to CGC to re-holder the comic, though I might try to double it up with other stuff I've been meaning to send in for a couple years now.

What would you do in this situation? Try to hold the seller accountable? Blow it off? It seems to me the seller was not forthright about the situation, but I didn't dig very hard before buying because it was a BIN and I wanted the comic.

I won't lose a lot of sleep over it, but it irks me that the seller gave the impression that the comic was graded in early July when he must have known it was graded a good 3-4 weeks earlier (or more), and probably knew the issues with the holder design. (Is it possible to look up grader notes to find out when it was slabbed?)

Anyway, I'll call CGC and see how it goes from their end.

By your own admission, it seems both parties could've done better. If CGC springs for the free cost of reholder, I'd see if the seller could possibly spring for half of shipping charges...but I wouldn't push hard, if at all. I'm basically refusing to buy a slab in the new holder if the date graded is April-June 2016. And most other buyers are probably going to do the same.

Hopefully, they change this date on the cert number during re-holders they don't get dinged. Does anyone know if they change this field on a reholder?

By your own admission, it seems both parties could've done better. If CGC springs for the free cost of reholder, I'd see if the seller could possibly spring for half of shipping charges...but I wouldn't push hard, if at all. I'm basically refusing to buy a slab in the new holder if the date graded is April-June 2016. And most other buyers are probably going to do the same.

Good advice. Yeah, I agree, I am not going to buy any more new-holder slabs unless there is very clear reason to believe it was slabbed after the inner well alteration. I wish they had done a little tweak of the label design to make it more obvious, or put the grading date on the label or back label.

Good advice. Yeah, I agree, I am not going to buy any more new-holder slabs unless there is very clear reason to believe it was slabbed after the inner well alteration. I wish they had done a little tweak of the label design to make it more obvious, or put the grading date on the label or back label.

Doohick, on any book with a new label you just need to look for the weld seams around the book. It's relatively easy to spot from a scan.

There will also be a visible ledge underneath the book (just like all the old slabs) as well as wedges possibly on the back cover.

If the weld seam on the inner liner is there around the book then it's not the April 4th pressurized "fortress" style holder. It's the post June 24 latest modified style.

Doohick, on any book with a new label you just need to look for the weld seams around the book. It's relatively easy to spot from a scan.

There will also be a visible ledge underneath the book (just like all the old slabs) as well as wedges possibly on the back cover.

If the weld seam on the inner liner is there around the book then it's not the April 4th pressurized "fortress" style holder. It's the post June 24 latest modified style.

Good to know. Is it easy to see that stuff in eBay listing photos and scans?

Good to know. Is it easy to see that stuff in eBay listing photos and scans?

It should be easy to see except on the worst of pics.

Finally got my hands on the "new new" case and it's impressive.

The book does have newton rings, and there is no way to really "fix" the issue. Other than that, it's a very sturdy, clear and great to handle case. I'll keep an eye on it to see if waves develop but I don't think it's an issue