• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nobody is complaining about the case? Does everything seem good now?

160 posts in this topic

• Administrator
Dang.....I just got a book from CGC yesterday in the non-updated case..I think. No plastic flaps...no well

(Just checked....graded 6/20 :blahblah::makepoint::tonofbricks:doh! )

I was under the impression anything shipped after the announcement, which this did, would have been put in the newest case even if it was already encapsulated waiting to be shipped.It shipped on 7/1 so based on their announcement...

"This updated holder will be used on all submissions, including those currently at CGC, effective immediately."

...I would think I have an argument for a re-holdering?

I have another one being delivered on Monday :wishluck:

Are you sure your book isn't in the modified holder? If you just got it back...it is probably in the modified holder. If you send the cert number I can check it.

I saw this on FB just now. I don't know if It's true or a load of but just reposting

13600101_1708226456109675_3334922864573319604_n.jpg

That pop has been reported on other post April 4 slabs but I doubt it's a post Jun 24 slab. The latest post Jun 24 slabs do not use pressure and wouldn't pop open.

I saw this on FB just now. I don't know if It's true or a load of but just reposting

13600101_1708226456109675_3334922864573319604_n.jpg

That pop has been reported on other post April 4 slabs but I doubt it's a post Jun 24 slab. The latest post Jun 24 slabs do not use pressure and wouldn't pop open.

(thumbs u

I re-holdered 4 books, I am relieved, think they turned out fine:

290646-001HQ-2.jpg

290646-002HQ-1.jpg

290646-003HQ-1.jpg

290646-004HQ-1.jpg

Those books were graded (or reholdered) May 5th.

That's likely why they used the old cases. They still had them back then.

Funny thing. I still don't have a new new holder. These were originally (May 5th as you mention) in a wave maker and were generously re slabbed, still not at my door (I had ordered images).

I also had two additional books sent June 24th, and they are in the old wave makers. Was bummed, but they seem to be doing ok. While I hoped all would be in the new new holder, turns out I don't have any yet?

I'd assume that pre the weekend of Jun 24 they may have still been using the April 4 holders.

I'd think that anything mailed after Jun 27 (the Monday of that weekend the announcement was made) that only the newest holders would be used.

Received my 5 Reholdrers today and I am very pleased with the new modified cases. Much better (thumbs u

Here is a before and after compare of my Tec 52

Front Cover Pre- Reholder

2016-06-15-0001_zpsymkqjm11.jpg

Front Cover after reholdered in new MODIFIED Case with inner well.

2016-07-08-0001_zpsluc1situ.jpg

Back Cover Pre- Reholder Heavy Newton Rings:

2016-06-15-0002_zpsbxudqprs.jpg

Back Cover after reholdered in new MODIFIED Case with inner well:

2016-07-08-0002_zps477ubt5p.jpg

I am definitely happy with the results. Looks like CGC has brought the best features together in the new modified holder.

That's a huge improvement. Especially on the back cover.

+1

I agree. I owned the book raw so I new it was a result of the case but if I was looking to buy in auction etc without the notes it would look like it may be stained.

I am glad to see you can easily tell the new case from the old new case since the inner well is apparent around the corners of the book.

Are you sure? Some people think you aren't qualified to see that inner well

I am glad to see you can easily tell the new case from the old new case since the inner well is apparent around the corners of the book.

Of course he's talking about a Golden Age book with a notched inner well that nobody ever claimed was difficult to spot. But you have your story and you're sticking to it.

I think it really depends on the type of inner case that CGC is using on your book.

If it is the one with the wedges and notches, then it would indeed be quite readily apparent from the back cover scans. I am not sure if they use this same type of inner well for all of their books though. (shrug)

I think it really depends on the type of inner case that CGC is using on your book.

If it is the one with the wedges and notches, then it would indeed be quite readily apparent from the back cover scans. I am not sure if they use this same type of inner well for all of their books though. (shrug)

if clink or pedigree or ebayers posted back cover scans... i'm interested in a book in an upcoming auction and all i see if that huge new label box and maybe a faint line halfway down the slab. is that new/new or old/new? i have no clue. i don't see any inner well. i also don't see any newton rings. i guess checking the graded date might help.

if clink or pedigree or ebayers posted back cover scans... i'm interested in a book in an upcoming auction and all i see if that huge new label box and maybe a faint line halfway down the slab. is that new/new or old/new? i have no clue. i don't see any inner well. i also don't see any newton rings. i guess checking the graded date might help.

:idea:

Is there any rationale for CGC not to include the graded date on the label since they have so much blank space on the back of their new label now? (shrug)

Checking the grade date might help if it was graded after CGC switched back to the inner wells. But that doesn't necessarily indicate when the book was slabbed or if it has been re-holdered because of waves or Newton rings.

Also, I don't know if there's a definitive date where CGC switched back to the inner wells. There might be, but I haven't noticed it anywhere.

Thanks for mentioning that, I see them at the tops, but it's harder to see them at the bottom. Same notches as the pre crummy cases! (thumbs u Now I can tell.

I've received 10 moderns back so far that were re-holdered from new holder v1.0 to new holder v2.0 -- huge improvements overall. Newton effect was either entirely eliminated or drastically reduced to pre-April 4 levels. I only have two beefs:

Minor beef - a few of the books show contact spots between the inner well and outer case on the back cover. It's annoying, but I'll live with it.

Major beef - this I don't blame the new design for, but one of my books came back even wavier than before. Again, no reason to believe the new design is responsible but rather it makes me further question what kind of long term impact the v1.0 design would have had on a book.

Suffice to say I've sent the rest of my v1.0 holders back to be re-done.

CGC didn't offer a procedure to get rid of the waves, pardon me, I mean the wavy appearance?

I detailed the situation for Brittany and it's going to be sent back to CCS to be evaluated. I don't know if it will get pressed again or what, but I'll update when/if I know more.

On another note, the "pop" issue with v1.0 was real, I had that happen to three books. But as was already said, I'd assume without the pressure seal it shouldn't be an issue with v2.0.

I'm not sure what this means. I was just making an observation based on the before / after images on page 7.