• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick press vs Normal press

9 posts in this topic

I am looking at the pressing services from a couple of different companies and notice they all have a quick press vs. a regular press service. What are the differences in outcome, quality, and how permanent between the two levels? I know pre-screening is not included with the quick press. Are there any other differences I should be aware of?

There is no such thing as a "quick press" vs. a "normal press."

There is only "complete press" and "incomplete press."

As the name implies, doing it "quickly" means that there's not going to be much attention paid to it; it gets passed through once, and then whatever's left is what's left, plus whatever comes back.

Unless you're fixing something incredibly minor, "quick press" isn't likely to address all the issues that are pressable.

It's like baking cookies: sure, you can bake them for 8 minutes at 350, and they might even be edible...but they're certainly not done unless you cook them for the full 12 minutes.

There is no such thing as a "quick press" vs. a "normal press."

There is only "complete press" and "incomplete press."

As the name implies, doing it "quickly" means that there's not going to be much attention paid to it; it gets passed through once, and then whatever's left is what's left, plus whatever comes back.

Unless you're fixing something incredibly minor, "quick press" isn't likely to address all the issues that are pressable.

It's like baking cookies: sure, you can bake them for 8 minutes at 350, and they might even be edible...but they're certainly not done unless you cook them for the full 12 minutes.

Would a quick press be ok for modern books that have just been stored for an extended period, but we're otherwise fresh off the rack?

From my little experience with the quick press option, you might as well do nothing. It just doesn't do much longer term.

I tend to agree with this.

Would a quick press be ok for modern books that have just been stored for an extended period, but we're otherwise fresh off the rack?

Again, it depends entirely on what the book needs. It's like asking "well, these cars have been in storage for an extended period, would an oil change be all that's needed?"

From my little experience with the quick press option, you might as well do nothing. It just doesn't do much longer term.

Some quick presses are not "quick". The pressing and hydration steps are the same as a full service pressing, but no tacking or dry cleaning work is included. For books that are generally clean, but have storage damage, this less expensive option works well.

Some quick presses are not "quick". The pressing and hydration steps are the same as a full service pressing, but no tacking or dry cleaning work is included. For books that are generally clean, but have storage damage, this less expensive option works well.

+1

What do you mean by 'tacking' Joe?

What do you mean by 'tacking' Joe?

Think of it as a spot treatment.