• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Shops in LA

36 posts in this topic

I know it's a little outta the way from L.A. , but Bunky Brothers in Ontario is the sheit. They are also board members, bonus! ^^

They have a ton of vintage books! :headbang:

But as Oakman29 said, they are quite a bit out of the way from LA though...

I've had very good experiences both times i visited Bunky Brothers in Ontario (buying and selling). Found some really nice Bronze Age Detective Comics at their shop. Always loved the look of their shop. Must see if you can. I concur with others about House of Secrets. Good store to at least check out, but i found a book with either a page missing or the back cover missing, i forget which now. i got my money back, but it took an hour of my time to drive there and back home (i will admit though, that i bought a bunch of walking dead books there for cover well after those books had gone up in prices). Golden Apple was always hot or miss, but a ton of fun. Comics Factory in Pasadena is a great shop for manga and moderns. They have a great selection of small press books, and are run by cool people. Meltdown is cool, but more pop culture than just comic store, from what i remember. Frank & Son is always fun. Definitely go if you can. Hi De Hoe was also a very fun shop to go to (i say "was" because i haven't been there in two years). Earth 2 Comics is cool. Mostly modern, though they have a few Bronze and Silver books. Collector's Paradise in Pasadena does a lot of signing's. Other than that, they're just okay imho (their san fernando valley store is much better). Honestly, I'd rather go to Comics Factory down the street. Comics vs Toys in Eagle Rock is a cool little shop, but not worth going out of your way for. Legacy in Glendale is a nice shop. I haven't beem in a while, but they had some really cool programs for repeat customers. Comic Cellar in Monrovia (off Myrtle Ave) is in a nice little shopping district, not far from the 210 freeway, and easy to get to and get back on the freeway. but it was mostly modern from what i remember. maybe a couple of older books under glass.

Depending on the day and time of day, traffic may hinder this, but if you have a day, start in hollywood with Golden Apple and Meltdown (they're both fairly close to each other...Amoeba's not too far away either). Take santa monica blvd west (For food, stop at Astro's on the way) to santa monica with the shops around there (Hi De Hoe, 41 years, oldest comic store in LA)). cool places, great city, great weather. then take the 405 or Sepulveda north towards northridge to Earth 2, then take the 101 east to burbank (HOS)-glendale (Legacy)-eagle rock (Comics vs Toys)-pasadena (Comics Factory, Collectors Paradise). then take the 210 east to monrovia (Comic Cellar), then take the 210 to the 605 to the 60 freeway to Frank & Son (wed and sat only). then take the 60 to Archibald and go to Bunky Brothers. You'll hit every good, cool, great comic shop in southern california.

Theres Continental Comics on Devonshire near Balboa. Kind of small but nice selection of older books. One of the few brick and morters that were around in the 80s that survived. They've been around at least 30 years if not longer. Started going when I was a kid.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going out for a wedding and will let you know if I have any luck. I am staying near Thousand Oaks.

Ok so that helps with stores to check out that's kinda within proximity to you. I really haven't been to any shops in Thousand Oaks/Agoura Hills/Calabasas areas, if there are any, but the nearest shops that we all here recommended are:

Earth 2 (Northridge)

Collector's Paradise (Winnetka)

Continental Comics (Northridge)

A few others in the area are:

njoy games and comics (Northridge, just down the street from Earth 2)

Galaxy Comics (Van Nuys/Reseda)

So if you have the time, I would definitely drive out further to the other shops everybody else has mentioned.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going out for a wedding and will let you know if I have any luck. I am staying near Thousand Oaks.

If you have time to dig through unsorted .50 boxes then Speros Heroes in Canoga Park is another good place. The front of the store is mostly Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern books that are $1 and up while the books in the other 5 rooms are .50 each ($90 for long box, $50 for short box) . TPB are 50% off cover.

Ok so that helps with stores to check out that's kinda within proximity to you. I really haven't been to any shops in Thousand Oaks/Agoura Hills/Calabasas areas, if there are any, but the nearest shops that we all here recommended are:

Earth 2 (Northridge)

Collector's Paradise (Winnetka)

Continental Comics (Northridge)

A few others in the area are:

njoy games and comics (Northridge, just down the street from Earth 2)

Galaxy Comics (Van Nuys/Reseda)

So if you have the time, I would definitely drive out further to the other shops everybody else has mentioned.

Agree with bobe-patt. If you are in TO, this is a good list. I work in the valley and I frequent these shops often.

Im in that area. Closet shop is Aresenal Comics. (Tell Tim I said Hi) They have some good books go through there. I agree with the other post Speros in Canoga is cool and they negotiate.

I just found out there is a shop in Thousand Oaks called:

Star City Comics and Games

From what I heard it's a new store out there.

Thats Arsenals old name. They changed it last year. I think the old name was too close to a card tournaments name

The Comic Bug has 2 locations, Manhattan Beach and Culver City. Near Manhattan Beach is Geoffrey's in Gardena, less than a 10 min drive. Near Culver City is Dream World, near Mar Vista, about 10-15 mins away.

These are located in The South Bay and The Westside of LA, respectively. Cooler temperatures, lighter traffic congestion, and easier parking than most of LA.

Jun and Mike of The Comic Bug are customer friendly owners. Their staff are nice, looking you in the eye with a welcoming greeting on the way in and appreciative "thank you" on the way out. The store is spacious and organized, not a typical dingy comic shop. The Manhattan Beach shop has the most inventory, including a few CGC books, some silver age, a bit more bronze and copper age, with lots of modern age and current comics and back issues with dollar bargain bins too. Also, if you like card gaming, they have a separate adjacent store, the Game Hub, dedicated to that hobby. I rank The Comic Bug overall as my #1 LCS of choice.

There are also a few, but I forget the names, shops further south than the South Bay Beach Cities, past Long Beach, in Orange County (The OC) which were pretty nice, worth checking out too.

Frank and Sons swap meet in the City of Industry (at least a 45-60 min drive from metro LA, a long journey to the outskirts where there is nothing else but strip malls and strip clubs in the area), is like an indoor open air market, with independent sellers with vendor booths. It is okay, and worth checking out, as it is sort of like a mini comic convention format, where other vendors sell sports cards, toys and basically any pop culture artifacts. It is only open certain hours and on certain days, so, Google search their website before partaking on the journey out there to ensure it is open.

Golden Apple used to be the meca of comic shops in LA when they had a mega store in the heart of Melrose Avenue near Hollywood, but has since moved and downsized where it is a smaller shop, still on Melrose, but a more quaint location. They used to host a lot of really great in store signings and has an impressive spread. Same goes for Hi De Ho comics when it was in Santa Monica near the 3rd Street Prominade, but later moved to the Lincoln Blvd area nearby, and lost a bit of its original luster. Both are still worth checking out, depending on what you are looking for.

Also, if in the LA area and the planets align right with the timing, see if the Sunday "Los Angeles Science Fiction and Comic Book Convention" held at the LA Mart / Reef is being held when in town. It is held every other month or so, I think. It is a good shopping opportunity in general.

Then, depending on the time of year, the big conventions in the LA area are: Wonder Con, Long Beach Comic Con, Long Beach Comic Expo, and Comikazie. There are also Animie and related shows in the area too.

Frank and Sons swap meet in the City of Industry (at least a 45-60 min drive from metro LA, a long journey to the outskirts where there is nothing else but strip malls and strip clubs in the area)

At the height of Wednesday's traffic, definitely. On a Saturday, maybe 20 minutes.

I will be in Laguna Beach end of the month. Anyplace there worth hitting (mostly a Golden Age guy.).
The home of someone who collects and is willing to sell some of their Golden Age books.