• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age: Rarest of the Rare?

46 posts in this topic

I have an old list of the Overstreet Top 100 Golden Age. Not sure what's changed but here are the current CGC census counts (universal + restored + qualified):

http://valiantman.com/cgc/topgolden_census_20160708.txt

Anybody want to venture a guess as to what the relationship is between price and percentage of books slabbed from the population.

For example, I would guess that Action 1 and Tec 27 - at 125k a point or so - have the highest percentage of books actually slabbed. Do you think 50% of all of those books are slabbed? I know that Gator once speculated that 200 or so Action 1s might exist, which would make my guess too high.

A book like Marvel Mystery 3. Yeah, it's in the top 100 but I don't think someone would be as quick to slab a 2.0 or 2.5. Maybe 20% of all Marvel 3s are in a case (shrug)

Best,

-Keston

I have an old list of the Overstreet Top 100 Golden Age. Not sure what's changed but here are the current CGC census counts (universal + restored + qualified):

Anybody want to venture a guess as to what the relationship is between price and percentage of books slabbed from the population.

For example, I would guess that Action 1 and Tec 27 - at 125k a point or so - have the highest percentage of books actually slabbed. Do you think 50% of all of those books are slabbed? I know that Gator once speculated that 200 or so Action 1s might exist, which would make my guess too high.

A book like Marvel Mystery 3. Yeah, it's in the top 100 but I don't think someone would be as quick to slab a 2.0 or 2.5. Maybe 20% of all Marvel 3s are in a case (shrug)

Best,

-Keston

I don't know with respect to MM 3. If I obtained even a lower-grade raw copy, I would slab it just to get CGC's resto check and their opinion of the grade. If I was a long-time owner of a raw copy that I intended to hang on to indefinitely, then, yes, I might well keep it raw.

Best,

-Keston

The 20% that count are encapsulated, Keston! ... Of course, that assumes only one census. hm

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

The rest are the stuff of which dreams are made. (like Verzyl's raw Church Timley's runs). :luhv:

Best,

-Keston

The 20% that count are encapsulated, Keston! ... Of course, that assumes only one census. hm

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

The rest are the stuff of which dreams are made. (like Verzyl's raw Church Timley's runs). :luhv:

haha. Point well made. I'd certify that copy too!