• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why would someone send this book in for grading??

54 posts in this topic

"I will accept paypal (but for a book like this, other arrangements likely make more sense)" ---You mean like, we meet, and i put a handful of quarters in your hand, and you give me the book. that type of arrangement?

It's the hard sell and the contradiction that really gets me.

Things like: "This book has only gone up for the last decades and will continue to do so!"

Says who?

It is ILLEGAL to say things like this in the Securities business. AGAINST THE LAW. That's why "past performance does not guarantee future results" is required.

Yet, those in the collectibles fields can, apparently, say it with impunity.

What if the book never goes up from the price paid? WHO is going to pay $180 for this $20 book, Or $170, or $150, or whatever is acceptable to the seller, and then see ANY return on their investment? Maybe...MAYBE...if Morbius becomes the next Venom, MAYBE. And the odds of that are slim to non-existent.

And, it's also not true. The book has NOT "only gone up for the last decades."

It went DOWN in price, SEVERELY, in the mid to late 90's, when the fad for Morbius was over, amid the greater comic market collapse.

So, why do people get to state things that simply aren't true, along with making promises they cannot possibly make...?

And he doesn't even allow returns!

:ohnoez:

Are you reading this, Roulette44....?

And before the "he's free to ask any price he wants for it!" crowd pipes in, YES, no one's disputing that. But he's NOT free to 1. misstate the facts, and 2. make promises he cannot guarantee. AND, everyone is free to criticize, too. Maybe something positive will come out of it.

Things like: "This book has only gone up for the last decades and will continue to do so!"

Says who?

It is ILLEGAL to say things like this in the Securities business. AGAINST THE LAW. That's why "past performance does not guarantee future results" is required.

What if the book never goes up from the price paid? WHO is going to pay $180 for this $20 book, Or $170, or $150, or whatever is acceptable to the seller, and then see ANY return on their investment? Maybe...MAYBE...if Morbius becomes the next Venom, MAYBE. And the odds of that are slim to non-existent.

It went DOWN in price, SEVERELY, in the mid to late 90's, when the fad for Morbius was over, amid the greater comic market collapse.

So, why do people get to state things that simply aren't true, along with making promises they cannot possibly make...?

Reminds me of the first time I was down at the SD Con in the very early 90's.

McFarlane was the rage at the time and all of the hucksters had the so-called super rare Platinum edition of Spidey 1 up on their walls at the bargain basement price of only $1,000. :screwy:

One dealer laughed at me when he saw that I had picked up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 for $1,000 and said that I was throwing my money away as these books would be worthless when the old timers left the hobby. hm

Went on to say that I would be missing the opportunity of a lifetime if I passed on the Spidey 1 for the same $1,000 as I would never ever see it again at that price. Turns out he was 100% dead right on that point as it went straight down to about $100 over time and has probably only moved up at a snail's pace from there. So, not much chance of seeing it at $1,000 again. :tonofbricks:

And in the meantime, it turns out the two Caps will most likely never see $1,000 again as they have moved up quite nicely in guide from that $1K mark to almost $14,000 now with the old geezers leaving the marketplace. :whee:

Says who?

Reminds me of the first time I was down at the SD Con in the very early 90's.

McFarlane was the rage at the time and all of the hucksters had the so-called super rare Platinum edition of Spidey 1 up on their walls at the bargain basement price of only $1,000. :screwy:

One dealer laughed at me when he saw that I had picked up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 for $1,000 and said that I was throwing my money away as these books would be worthless when the old timers left the hobby. hm

Went on to say that I would be missing the opportunity of a lifetime if I passed on the Spidey 1 for the same $1,000 as I would never ever see it again at that price. Turns out he was 100% dead right on that point as it went straight down to about $100 over time and has probably only moved up at a snail's pace from there. So, not much chance of seeing it at $1,000 again. :tonofbricks:

And in the meantime, it turns out the two Caps will most likely never see $1,000 again as they have moved up quite nicely in guide from that $1K mark to almost $14,000 now with the old geezers leaving the marketplace. :whee:

I am sooooooo thankful I didn't have money in the early 90's to throw away on this garbage. I could have thrown away so much more money on this garbage. I didn't even have the opportunity to buy high grade GA Caps; such books weren't for sale in the SF Bay Area comic shops.

But oh, did they have Platinum Spidey #1s!

And the kids in their 20's today think they have it as figured out as I thought I did.

They'll learn.

:cloud9:

I'm submitting a coverless book Monday. :devil:

Well, if I had a coverless Action 1, I would also be sending it in right away. :baiting:

Not an Action 1. The Silver Age equivalent. :devil:

Well, if I had a coverless Action 1, I would also be sending it in right away. :baiting:

Complete or incomplete?

Herbie #1? hm

Or maybe his twin brother, Fatman the Human Flying Saucer #1. lol

If he needs a cover for that, I've got a File Copy set of the entire 3-issue run which he can have for the right price. :devil:

So many comic shop owners seem to put such little effort in researching relevant topics. I understand if a comic shop owner isn't keen on graded comics, but every comic shop owner should understand what makes graded comics desirable to the people who are keen on them. "This case makes the comic worth more" isn't a universal truth but many shop owners think it is because they saw some slabs selling for far more than raw. So they decided to slab everything and jack up the price without paying any regard to actual grade and actual demand lol

Reminds me of that Arizona shop someone posted recently that presses every comic in the store and uses PGX

Joey is the Man!!! Yeah the book is priced very aggressively but he has a make an offer option and is very reasonable to work with. My guess with this particular book is the spine didn't look as bad then it went into an old new holder and it got squished between the Mylar and just doesn't look so hot now. I'm sticking up for my buddy because he is a great seller and he along with Strawman Parker were 2 of the first on these boards to buy some books from me when I jumped on here all willy nilly without knowing my mess first haha!!

Joey is the Man!!! Yeah the book is priced very aggressively but he has a make an offer option and is very reasonable to work with. My guess with this particular book is the spine didn't look as bad then it went into an old new holder and it got squished between the Mylar and just doesn't look so hot now. I'm sticking up for my buddy because he is a great seller and he along with Strawman Parker were 2 of the first on these boards to buy some books from me when I jumped on here all willy nilly without knowing my mess first haha!!

Sorry I did not read any of this, That Speed 28 in your sig had my attention!

Sorry I did not read any of this, That Speed 28 in your sig had my attention!

That's because you my friend....are..........AWESOME!!! Thanks :grin:

Joey is the Man!!! Yeah the book is priced very aggressively but he has a make an offer option and is very reasonable to work with.

At a certain point, "make an offer" doesn't really matter.

Realistically, the book isn't worth the cost to slab, ~ $20. So, if someone is going to attempt to make an offer around FMV, they're going to say "nah. The guy's asking $180, I'd feel like a lowballer offering FMV for it."

...and then move on, because the seller...purposely or not...gives off the very clear vibe in this listing that he's not really interested in being reasonable about the price.

Plus, it's extremely low grade for a very, very common book, and far, far nicer copies have recently sold for substantially less than he's asking. If it was a "this kind of book comes up once every 6 years on eBay, so take it or leave it", that would be different. But it's not.

It's all about the optics.

That said, however...

That doesn't address the misstatements and borderline deceptive promises that I posted about earlier, which aren't subjective. The book HAS gone down in value before, and there's no guarantee that it will be a good investment, the opposite of which is stated in the listing.

And I'm not the only one who is questioning this.

It's one thing to be ebullient. It's another to have factually inaccurate statements in your listing. Not saying they're incorrect, but

It's like my DHP #24. I had it marked as the first appearance of Aliens, but it's not. Aliens #1 is. The collecting community just assumed.

But...if someone were to bring it to my attention, and publicly call me out on the board for it, I would say "oops, sorry, haven't gotten to it. Let me fix that right now."

So...let's see what happens.