• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre Code Horror

30 posts in this topic

All the grail Harvey pre-code horror covers (BC 45 50, TOT 15, etc.) are in one collection...and they aren't going anywhere unfortunately...but you never know...things change

I was at the San Diego Con when those covers were sold...it was at a comic dealers table not at an art dealer table in a pile of art. For some reason, I can only remember two of the covers from that show...It was Beware 8 not #10 (8 is by Hollingsworth) and Chilling Tales 15...if the third was Chilling Tales 16, that is a Hollingsworth cover...I remember clearly the Chilling Tales 15 standing out because I'm a Matt Fox fan...

All the grail Harvey pre-code horror covers (BC 45 50, TOT 15, etc.) are in one collection...and they aren't going anywhere unfortunately...but you never know...things change

I was at the San Diego Con when those covers were sold...it was at a comic dealers table not at an art dealer table in a pile of art. For some reason, I can only remember two of the covers from that show...It was Beware 8 not #10 (8 is by Hollingsworth) and Chilling Tales 15...if the third was Chilling Tales 16, that is a Hollingsworth cover...I remember clearly the Chilling Tales 15 standing out because I'm a Matt Fox fan...

Care to elaborate? Has the collection been on display at any time?

I pretty clear on the sale, because it happened while I was in the process of negotiating for the 16, when a deep pockets individual came up and bought all three.... They went for what is now a joke price, but just for perspective this is the same show where I picked up the cover to Marvel's Star Wars Treasury #1 for the huge sum of $350

What I was told is that the BIG covers were sold to one collector (early 2000's time frame) then a large portion of the rest were sold to Jim Halperin and eventually listed on Heritage. I don't know of them ever being on display nor have I even seen pics of the keys.

...don't forget Atlas with all those cool Heath, Everett, Maneely, Anderson covers

Here's a Heath cover I owned for about 8 years. Sold it last year when putting together funding for an early-retirement.

astonishinga.jpg

Had a total of three Atlas covers at one time (including another Heath), but all that remains is a 1957 John Severin Marines in Action cover - in one of my CAF Galleries.

What I was told is that the BIG covers were sold to one collector (early 2000's time frame) then a large portion of the rest were sold to Jim Halperin and eventually listed on Heritage. I don't know of them ever being on display nor have I even seen pics of the keys.

Thanks for sharing.

All the big covers were sold shortly after the Harvey Warehouse find back in the late 80s...after that the Harvey contents went to Alex Acevedo who eventually sold everything to Heritage (Halperin)...Heritage still trickles out Harvey art here and there in their auctions...

I had one cool Harvey pre-code cover...the cover art to Witches Tales 19 by Elias (devil cover) which I acquired from Roy Brack (The Goblin's Den)...I eventually sold it to Halperin.

That was San Diego Con 1998 that Mr. Metropolis got those three covers...many were in disbelief that he got those...I still think the Matt Fox Chilling Tales 15 was the gem of the bunch...but I guess you really can't go wrong with an A.C. Hollingsworth cover either...he was great...like Matt Baker, one of the few African-American artists working in comics at that time...check out his awesome zombie splash in Witchcraft 5...

The prelim to the Beware 10 cover turned up when the contents of Sid Check's storage locker came up...that prelim is all Check...no Fritz...and the cover to Beware 10 by Fritz/Check has yet to surface if it even exists...

The YM Beware 10 (the mushroom cloud cover) was in the group that Mr Metro bought. I would love to see the Check prelim for the Trojan #10! Has that been published anywhere?

I don't know of any other Trojan Beware original art (covers) but if #6 were ever offered, that would be a grail score-Fass "reinterpreting" Davis!