• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics out performing Stocks since 2008!!!

65 posts in this topic

If I could use the last 8 years of hindsight and cherry-pick my stock buys in the way that was done to select investment-worthy comics for the linked piece, then I could crush the stock market, too. Just saying.

Been saying this for years, no one wanted to hear me out lol I haven't dropped one dime in the stock market, that's for suckers. Comics will take me to retirement (thumbs u

Jerome

Comics are a commodity, subject to market forces just like anything else. People make a killing in the stock market all the time, the only ones who call it a suckers bet are the ones who don't know what the hell they're doing.

If I could use the last 8 years of hindsight and cherry-pick my stock buys in the way that was done to select investment-worthy comics for the linked piece, then I could crush the stock market, too. Just saying.

Heck if I just had two weeks hindsight I'd have been buying Nintendo stock.

Heck if I just had two weeks hindsight I'd have been buying Nintendo stock.

Or LinkedIn.

I didnt read the article but a non-cherry picked portfolio of top comics from eight years ago would still have done pretty good. I'm not talking about Walking Dead, that few could have predicted. Nor $100,000 books that few could afford.

GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, Avengers 1 and 4, Brave and Bold 28, Spider-Man 14, books an average guy could afford to salt away.

I didnt read the article but a non-cherry picked portfolio of top comics from eight years ago would still have done pretty good. I'm not talking about Walking Dead, that few could have predicted. Nor $100,000 books that few could afford.

GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, Avengers 1 and 4, Brave and Bold 28, Spider-Man 14, books an average guy could afford to salt away.

But my point has been...

If you were looking to "invest" in the 90's you wouldn't have been buying those books. You would have been buying up foil covers, Image #1's, etc. And while some of those have been appreciating you wouldn't have had returns that outdid the stock market.

That's not true, at least for us back issue collectors. Sure there was a lot of short term interest and gains in the chrome variants gimmicks, but most of it dies off as people got wise to the obvious over hyped reality of them as long term money makers.

Those who continued to collect HG back issues however did very well on their purchases.

Yeah, all one had to do (and many did) is look at OS's "top 20" list of GA/SA/BA comics and for the most part, those are now worth more than ever...not every book but many did.

However, today every $1 that one may have invested in an S&P 500 Index fund is worth more than you paid for it, and if you're looking specifically at 2008 (at the bottom of the housing crisis), it's worth significantly more.

I wonder moving forward what will be worth more 10 years from now - $10,000 invested in the S&P 500 (after a 7 year bull market), or $10,000 invested in key GA/SA/BA books? hm

Yeah, all one had to do (and many did) is look at OS's "top 20" list of GA/SA/BA comics and for the most part, those are now worth more than ever...not every book but many did.

However, today every $1 that one may have invested in an S&P 500 Index fund is worth more than you paid for it, and if you're looking specifically at 2008 (at the bottom of the housing crisis), it's worth significantly more.

I wonder moving forward what will be worth more 10 years from now - $10,000 invested in the S&P 500 (after a 7 year bull market), or $10,000 invested in key GA/SA/BA books? hm

The stock market every time. I can sell stocks very, very easy. High priced comic books are not as easy to move.

The stock market every time. I can sell stocks very, very easy. High priced comic books are not as easy to move.

The magic of liquidity :headbang:

so true regarding liquidity. Some books that are still a key book are not always that liquid to move at top dollar. ASM #1 for example, a great book (I don't own one yet), I have seen plenty on this forum and elsewhere sit for a long time at what I would consider reasonable prices. Key books for the most part can always be "sold', but at what return versus your purchase price.