• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All New Wolverine Series and the 9.9 graded first appearance Nyx 3

29 posts in this topic

Oh my God! :o

I just looked up all the floppies that has X-23,and I am amazed by the prices asked\paid on eBay.

I was a huge fan of the character early on,and I have triples of all her appearances. Including the Vampire variants, women of Marvel one shot, and every variant available. Every NYX issue too!

Sheit! :whee:

9.9 prices bewilder me. I can't see paying the price of a 9.9, when 9.8's are just as nice.

I will be honest... I came to the same conclusion. Somewhere I have listed my two 9.9 (they are the same issue but two variants) as a set for over $1000. I honestly want to see if they sell.

There are a couple of people watching... so if it sells that would be great. If not then so be it.

You can't just say that you have to 9.9's and then bugger off.

Post a link to the listing, you dirty c-tease.....

On Ebay someone is selling a 9.9 graded issue of Nyx #3 for 20K.

•  
  • Does a 9.9 Nyx #3 in your opinion warrant a 20K price tag?

hm

Okay, big BIG WARNING here..........skip this post and go onto the next one if you want to avoid my long and boring zzz take or comparative analysis at the horrid thought of buying CGC lowest graded copies lol of books as opposed to the much more popular and headline grabbing fad of buying CGC highest graded copies :banana: of the latest hot book.

Gave this some more thought and the answer is actually very simple. If somebody wants to spend $20K on a particular comic book for just the comic book itself and nothing more, then more power to them. (thumbs u

But if somebody wants to spend $20K at huge multiples to guide on a comic book with the intention of reselling it with some kind of profit in the future, then they simply have to ask themselves 2 questions:

•  
  • Is there the same level of price support in terms of the book being able to sell at multiples of guide in all grades across the entire condition spectrum; and

• Will the value of your book remain the same or hopefully even increase in value as more copies of the same book enter into the marketplace at the same equivalent or even higher grades.

If the answer to both of those questions are YES, then you've clearly been lucky enough to have found a book that is worth the asking price tag as you have most likely lucked yourself into a true vintage collectible comic book which should rise in value over time. If the answer to both of those questions are NO, then you should run away as fast as possible since what you are really looking at is most likely nothing more than a graded or manufactured collectible which in 99.99% of the cases will only drop significantly in value over time. hm

I have never understood the concept of paying ridiculous record amounts of money for a CGC highest graded copy of any book if the market value of the same book is really nothing more than common worthless drek at a condition level that is 3 or 4 or what have you grade increments lower. It seems so much safer to take the contrarian approach and look at the market value of the book at the opposite lower grade levels of the condition spectrum. If the book is still selling for multiples to condition guide at the lower grade levels or possibly even at a premium to guide in slightly restored condition, then it's most likely a true vintage collectible comic book and will more than likely turn out to be a real winner for you in the end. (thumbs u

Likewise, I have never understood why buyers would not want another copy of their purchased book to show up in the same equivalent or even higher grade because these future sales should not only help to reinforce the price which you had paid, but also to help push prices further up on your book. (shrug) Your book will never ever go up in value if you are the only person to have ever paid such a high record price for that book. :makepoint:

Now, since I really don't follow the market for the NYX series of books, I am not sure what the answer would be for those 2 questions above. But if it is like virtually all other MA books except possibly for Walking Dead #1, I would suspect the answer would be a SOLID NO to both of those questions. Please do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong on this point here.

Now, for an example of a book for which you would answer YES to both of those questions. Let's take Detective #31 with the classic Batman over the castle cover and the original cover for Neal Adam's famous swipe which he did for Batman #227.

A copy of this book in CGC 2.5 G+ condition had sold for $12K back in 2009 and then for $14K the following year, with another CGC 4.0 selling for over $34K in 2012. The Overstreet guide currently has this book listed at $13K in 2.0 Good condition which represents a price per point (PPP) of $6,500 per Overstreet point. As Gator has stated, this price per point (PPP) in the real marketplace is usually a good measure of value for vintage quality books up to a grade of 6.0 before they take off in the higher grades.

For the past couple of years, even low grade copies of Detective 31 have been selling in the $15K to $20K price range on a price per point basis. This is evident by a CGC 4.5 copy selling for $86K in the spring of 2014, a CGC 2.0 copy selling for almost $35K in the summer of 2014, which was then followed by sales of a CGC 1.0 unrestored copy for just over $19K along with a slightly restored CGC 1.0 copy for over $14K, with both of these near the end of 2014. The following year saw sales of a CGC 2.5 copy for $42K, a CGC 5.0 copy for $87K, and then an entry level CGC 0.5 copy selling for $21.5K. And for this year so far, we have another uber low grade CGC 1.0 copy selling for just over $43.5K in the recently completed ComicConnect auction.

Based upon the above listed auction results, the answers to both questions for Detective #31 would be a SOLID YES as it is clear that this book is able to sell at multiples to guide in all condition grades, including both low grades and also in slightly restored condition. In addition, as more copies in equivalent or for that matter, in all grade conditions enter into the marketplace, it not only reinforces and supports the previous price paid, but also clearly shows a decided uptick in the price trend of this book on a price per point basis.

For those who are used to only hearing the stories of headline grabbing sales of CGC highest graded copies of books, this phenomena of record prices for CGC lowest graded copies of books is really nothing new. Just take a look at Action 13 which has now gone from only $30K at top of guide a few years ago to its now current $100K, or at Pep 22 which has gone from $70K up to $250K over the same short time period. Looks like Detective 31 is following the same trajectory as both of those books in the lower grades were also selling at multiple price per points as compared to their guide price for quite a few years.

Although the boat has probably already sailed on those 3 books as even their entry level prices are looking astronomical now, there are a ton of other books just waiting to break out. For example, an easy one would be Captain America 3 with the Cap run poised (if not already) to become the key title in the Timely family of books, similar to how Spidey eventually overtook FF as the key title in the Marvel line of books. Only selecting Cap 3 because I assume Cap 1 is already passed the reach of 99% of the collectors here. Cap 3 on the other hand is probably still achievable and likely destined to become the second most important book in the entire run with its classic Red Skull cover and first work in comics by Stan Lee.

If low grade copies of Cap 3 are already too high, then how about something much cheaper like low to mid grade copies of Archie 50 with its classic Betty headlights cover. For a dark horse or something relatively unknown, how about a book like Ace Comics #11 with the first appearance of the Phantom, and a book which came out even before Action 1. Only problem is that it is virtually impossible to ever find this one in the marketplace, but be sure to grab one if you do even though its price per point will most likely be at multiples to guide.

Actually, way too many of these books to list, but probably safe to say that these vintage collectible comic books are most likely a surer bet to become winners over time as opposed to paying record dollars for the CGC highest graded copies of your latest hot Modern book. (thumbs u

9.9 prices bewilder me. I can't see paying the price of a 9.9, when 9.8's are just as nice.

I will be honest... I came to the same conclusion. Somewhere I have listed my two 9.9 (they are the same issue but two variants) as a set for over $1000. I honestly want to see if they sell.

There are a couple of people watching... so if it sells that would be great. If not then so be it.

You can't just say that you have to 9.9's and then bugger off.

Post a link to the listing, you dirty c-tease.....

Bugger off it is.

So you're saying I CAN'T retire off my 1 of 1 CGC 9.9 copy of Wolverine v3 #10????? hm

Why, of course you can, you future homeless person! :baiting:lol

OK good, you guys had me worried! :headbang:

Yes, with local real estate prices going up another galloping 25% for the short 3-month time period from just April to June of this year, I guess we'll all be doing a group hug and yakking on about comic books to keep ourselves warm in the homeless shelter. lol