• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman (1989) Revisited

47 posts in this topic

8. Batsuit. Still the best to this day. Classic.
Setting personal tastes aside, just from a design perspective, it's tough to see the Keaton Batsuit as "Best" or "Classic". imho.

It's basically a Rubber Muscle Suit with a cool cape. (the cape being the best feature)

It was stiff on camera. Keaton couldn't turn his head at the neck. The Batman fights looked extremely limited, stand-up straight kicks and punches.

It was head-to-toe Black, with visual contrast coming from the chest symbol and belt.

The Keaton Batsuit wasn't a disaster, not saying that, but there is MUCH better out there. The fanfilm Batman: Dead End comes immediately to mind. Very "comic book", visually.

Ok, Ok, don't mess this up for me. :)

My frame of reference for batsuits are the Nolan movies and the '60s show. I know, that's limited, but I'm just going for movie studio renditions of Batman. While I like the Nolan version of the batsuit too, I still prefer the Keaton version. Like you said, the cape is the star, but I also like the bat emblem with the yellow background and the plain molded suit looks great. No it's not exactly like the comics, but it's closer than the batnipple and Kevlar suits of the other movies.

BTW, I do like the ones you posted. Those do look very much like the comics.

It was cartoony and fun. As a fan of Betelguse as well, it definitely is iconic. Batman Returns however, was not good. Even though Michelle Pfifer was in it (She is damned sexy, and if you don't think so, go watch Scarface again)
Annette Bening would have rocked it too and if you don't think so, go watch The Grifters again. ;)

I could agree to that. Both are better than Kim Basinger

I like Basinger in Batman. Liked Michelle Pfeifer even better - her hot factor in the catwoman suit is off the charts.

I loved it when it came out, I sported the shirts and bought the cards and magazines about the movie too. It has some of the best one-liners in comic movies too IMHP. Basinger was hot, still love her.

"Wait till they get a load of me."

Man, I gotta say one of the high points of the movie was absolutely Michael Keaton. Casting him was such a ballsy move. It took some genuine vision to cast him when there was a virtually unlimited pool of action stars out there that would've been a much safer choice. He was cast mostly for his ability to pull off the Bruce Wayne role, being detached and affected, but with those glimpses of wit and charm. Keaton is such a great, multi-dimensional actor and he brought so many little quirks and subtleties to his interpretation of Bruce. I think that was the biggest payoff of the movie.

And Basinger was just completely lackluster. Blech.

I tried to rewatch this movie a couple of years back and it has not aged well for me. That, and the fact that Burton comes off as an arrogant doesn't help.

It was cartoony and fun. As a fan of Betelguse as well, it definitely is iconic. Batman Returns however, was not good. Even though Michelle Pfifer was in it (She is damned sexy, and if you don't think so, go watch Scarface again)
Annette Bening would have rocked it too and if you don't think so, go watch The Grifters again. ;)

Always liked Annette Bening.

I liked it better than the others, but it did have some of the TV Show camp in it. Darker than the show, obviously, but still campy. What else would Burton have done though?

What are you guys talking about.

Nothing about Batman (1989) was campy. :screwy:

I liked it better than the others, but it did have some of the TV Show camp in it. Darker than the show, obviously, but still campy. What else would Burton have done though?

Yeah, not at all. hm

80373-batman-1989-joker-and-his-goons-dance-to-partyman-by-prince.jpg

jokers-batman.jpg

tumblr_nbrqsucwyE1rrkahjo2_500.gif

Yeah, not at all. hm

80373-batman-1989-joker-and-his-goons-dance-to-partyman-by-prince.jpg

jokers-batman.jpg

tumblr_nbrqsucwyE1rrkahjo2_500.gif

dude that is not campy, that is joker style.

Totally disagree.

I thought they really let Burton go crazy with Batman Returns, as visually I really liked that movie. Both Burton Bat movies are a bit "campy", but I think the studios needed these movies to be for kids first and foremost. The Nolan movies had the luxury of being intended for a more adult crowd.

Looking back, I wouldn't put Batman in my top 5 comic book movies regardless of how important it may have been at the time.

It was definitely campy. Not to the extent of the original Batman TV show of course (thankfully)

This movie seems to be the kind of movie that just about everybody loved at the time but doesn't necessarily hold up over time and also due to the fact that more Batman movies (some very good) came out since. Back in 1989, I seem to remember people talking about this movie as setting the standard for Batman in a movie format. Not sure we can say that in 2016.

I still love it. It has a look and feel that, for me, works just fine.

The performances is what does it for me.

Keaton and Nicholson hit the chemistry on the head. Both are the perfect amount of insane in the movie

Then you sir might not understand what campy means? :foryou:

Jim

Then you sir might not understand what campy means? :foryou:

Jim

You also have to consider people equating campy with bad. That is not the case here. The movie had its campy elements, but it was very well done campy, and those moments were relatively mild and well used.