• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales to Astonish 27 cover?

46 posts in this topic

It's a real recreation.

And very nicely done, I may add.

Not bad! Pricey!

Nicely done but, yes, very pricey for a recreation.

It's the original inker, so that works in its favour, but at the end of the day still a re-do.

I had Bruce McCorkindale recreate the # 35 cover for me. He may have had no involvement with the original created cover, but he's done a credible job of bringing it back to life:

astonish%2035.jpg

It's a real recreation.

And very nicely done, I may add.

Not bad! Pricey!

That's Theo's model: Mark inventory up about 10-50x FMV.

Yeah, pricey.

When I saw who the seller was, I figured noting the asking price almost went without saying.

The price doesn't bother me. You ask whatever you want for your stuff.

What bothers me is the lack of the word reproduction in the description.

Ask 100k for a modern reproduction if you like but describe it clearly and honestly.

For fun, I asked the seller to justify the price on this recreation, and received this reply:

"If it were the original published 10cent cover it would be worth $3 million. I'm only asking pocket change of $15k however it's done by the same artist when he dies the value will jump to 6 figures! My add clearly says its not he the published 10cent cover"

Keep dreaming... :insane:

For fun, I asked the seller to justify the price on this recreation, and received this reply:

"If it were the original published 10cent cover it would be worth $3 million. I'm only asking pocket change of $15k however it's done by the same artist when he dies the value will jump to 6 figures! My add clearly says its not he the published 10cent cover"

Keep dreaming... :insane:

3 million for TA 27 cover original seems high. I can see a million maybe 2 million but 3, no way.

"preduction" has been selling stuff on eBay for years and his listings and descriptions are among the most bizarre/hilarious/strange I've ever seen, when it comes to original art.

His Barks auctions are my favorites.

Here's one: http://sekvenskonst.blogspot.se/2012/04/carl-barks-lithograph-scrooge-plowing.html (The image shows two different paintings merged in Photoshop. Making a Scrooge painting out of one featuring only two horses...)

So silly and moronic....I just can't understand why folks like 'preduction' waste time and money (assume eBay charges fees for even the most implausible listings, Golden Gate Bridge for sale!) on bogus listings. They would do better playing the local bingo circuit or state lottery. To me, they seem even more irrational than email spammers who can/do find suckers who believe they inherited a Nigerian diplomat's fortune...

Thats the thing, ebay doesn't have listing fees anymore. If they bring that back, this would stop.

I actually didn;t know it was a recreation. I still don't interpret it by reading his description even though I know it is a recreation. I think that listing if deceptive.

Malvin

Thats the thing, ebay doesn't have listing fees anymore. If they bring that back, this would stop.

I actually didn;t know it was a recreation. I still don't interpret it by reading his description even though I know it is a recreation. I think that listing if deceptive.

Malvin

Agreed. It should be clearly stated in the description AND the title.

Malvin

Of course it's deceptive because the seller is (any number of unethical terms).

this line in the detailed description kind of tells you it is a recreation. You just need to read between the lines.

This is done by Ayers who drew and inked the original 10 cent tales to Astonish 27 cover in which was published by marvel in 1959.

Malvin

Of course it's deceptive because the seller is (any number of unethical terms).

this line in the detailed description kind of tells you it is a recreation. You just need to read between the lines.

This is done by Ayers who drew and inked the original 10 cent tales to Astonish 27 cover in which was published by marvel in 1959.

I see this in video games all the time. Empty PS4 box sold at full price in hopes that someone buys it expecting to receive a complete system. Now sellers are even selling fake Super Nintendo cartridges out of China sold as originals.

In many of these cases you see clever wording that hints at the truth should the seller ever be called out but they certainly don't make it clear. My point Is this. If he really believes his item is worth what he says it is worth then why is he so afraid to just come out and call it what it is?

The awkward statement you quoted would be just as true (and just as awkward) if the item he was selling was the original or a fake. Really that statement doesn't say anything either way.