• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ultimate spider-man #1 worth investing in long term or has that ship sailed?

30 posts in this topic

Everything and every character that got grandfathered over to the 616 happened because of this book.

Yes, it's still very relevant , and as the readers who grew up with the title age and start looking for the books from their youth, this will be the book they will want, with exponentially more upside if the new movie series really does take its cues from it.

-J.

Yep, the Rule of 25 will prevail :sumo:

I would pick up any issue of the series in HG (cheap), but I wouldn't "invest" in them. lol

I always wanted to buy the ultimate spider-man 1 white variant for my collection but will it continue to increase in value long term so when I do retire some day, if my own children don't collect comics, I can get back what I spent or more and use the money into retirement?

I guess the answer would be really dependent on what you would have to pay to buy the book in the first place. But you have to remember that these are really just MA variants or something akin to a manufactured collectible or gimmick and as such, in 99% of the cases will generally only go down in value over time. :gossip:

Actually, I had posted the following in another thread earlier this week, but is probably also appropriate for this thread:

Reminds me of the first time I was down at the SD Con in the very early 90's.

McFarlane was the rage at the time and all of the hucksters had the so-called super rare Platinum edition of Spidey 1 up on their walls at the bargain basement price of only $1,000. :screwy:

One dealer laughed at me when he saw that I had picked up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 for $1,000 and said that I was throwing my money away as these books would be worthless when the old timers left the hobby. hm

Went on to say that I would be missing the opportunity of a lifetime if I passed on the Spidey 1 for the same $1,000 as I would never ever see it again at that price. Turns out he was 100% dead right on that point as it went straight down to about $100 over time and has probably only moved up at a snail's pace from there. So, not much chance of seeing it at $1,000 again. :tonofbricks:

And in the meantime, it turns out the two Caps will most likely never see $1,000 again as they have moved up quite nicely in guide from that $1K mark to almost $14,000 now with the old geezers leaving the marketplace. :whee:

Needless to say, you would be lucky today to get back 25% of the original $1,000 asking price for the Spidey 1, whereas you would have absolutely no problems finding hungry buyers for both of the Cap's at a healthy premium to top of guide. hm

Great story :cool:

Sorry I used the wrong word as I didn't mean it as an investment. I just wanted it for my own collection as I love bagleys spiderman and it was a great series. What I was worried about though is if I have a family and none of them are into comics, whether they'd at least be able to get back what I spent on the book to use for themselves or whether with the ultimate world destroyed, this book will continue to depreciate and possibly be a $1 book or so.

Early USM was a blast and probably the best 1 year spec of any book ever. It should be no surprise for the book to be in high demand for many in the future. Bagley was great on this run and the ASM run preceding it. Will your family get rich because you bought it ? No. Is it worth owning ? Absolutely. 2c

The new Spider-man movie looks to be based off Ultimate Spider-man........

IMO

The first two Avengers movies were the Ultimates, but no one seemed to notice.

And for good reason. The Ultimates were an alternate universe version of the Avengers told 35-40 years later. ditto of Ultimate Spider-Man. And with that universe dead, I have to agree with others, these are not good books to invest in.

I always wanted to buy the ultimate spider-man 1 white variant for my collection but will it continue to increase in value long term so when I do retire some day, if my own children don't collect comics, I can get back what I spent or more and use the money into retirement?

I guess the answer would be really dependent on what you would have to pay to buy the book in the first place. But you have to remember that these are really just MA variants or something akin to a manufactured collectible or gimmick and as such, in 99% of the cases will generally only go down in value over time. :gossip:

Actually, I had posted the following in another thread earlier this week, but is probably also appropriate for this thread:

Reminds me of the first time I was down at the SD Con in the very early 90's.

McFarlane was the rage at the time and all of the hucksters had the so-called super rare Platinum edition of Spidey 1 up on their walls at the bargain basement price of only $1,000. :screwy:

One dealer laughed at me when he saw that I had picked up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 for $1,000 and said that I was throwing my money away as these books would be worthless when the old timers left the hobby. hm

Went on to say that I would be missing the opportunity of a lifetime if I passed on the Spidey 1 for the same $1,000 as I would never ever see it again at that price. Turns out he was 100% dead right on that point as it went straight down to about $100 over time and has probably only moved up at a snail's pace from there. So, not much chance of seeing it at $1,000 again. :tonofbricks:

And in the meantime, it turns out the two Caps will most likely never see $1,000 again as they have moved up quite nicely in guide from that $1K mark to almost $14,000 now with the old geezers leaving the marketplace. :whee:

Needless to say, you would be lucky today to get back 25% of the original $1,000 asking price for the Spidey 1, whereas you would have absolutely no problems finding hungry buyers for both of the Cap's at a healthy premium to top of guide. hm

Unless you sold in 2008 when 9.8's sold for $1500-$2000 but I'm sure not all were savvy enough to sell at top of market.

Jim

Are you referring to the Ultimate Spidey #1 Retailer Edition which came out in 2000 since I was referring to the McFarlane Spidey 1 Platinum Edition which came out in 1990? (shrug)

Either way, the results would still appear to be the same. It should be pointed out that I am the type of investor that is lazy and just likes to buy and hold. Buying hot Moderns requires you to make 2 decisions and with both of them being done at just the right time. One is when to buy and the second is when to sell.

Hence, in order to make money on hot Moderns would require you to time the market. Doing it my lazy way would just require time in the market. It would appear that the top of market for both the McFarlane Spidey 1 and the Ultimate Spidey 1 Retailer Editions have long since passed. In comparison, I would say that the top of market for both my Cap 29 & 31 is still yet to come. :banana:

BTW: What is the current market value for a 9.8 copy of the Retailer Incentive White Edition as compared to the $1,500 to $2,000 they were going for back in 2008? hm

Lou: I was talking about Platinium Spidey #1's they were a $1500-$2000 book back then...nowadays about an $800 book in 9.8.

Jim

Everything and every character that got grandfathered over to the 616 happened because of this book.

Yes, it's still very relevant , and as the readers who grew up with the title age and start looking for the books from their youth, this will be the book they will want, with exponentially more upside if the new movie series really does take its cues from it.

-J.

Yep, the Rule of 25 will prevail :sumo:

I would pick up any issue of the series in HG (cheap), but I wouldn't "invest" in them. lol

lol

You realize we're discussing Ultimate Spider-Man here, right?

I don't think the 5 or 6 people under 30 who read the title as it was released are going to have much positive impact on future prices.

What is the current market value for a 9.8 copy of the Retailer Incentive White Edition as compared to the $1,500 to $2,000 they were going for back in 2008? hm

Lou: I was talking about Platinium Spidey #1's they were a $1500-$2000 book back then...nowadays about an $800 book in 9.8.

Jim

My bad then.

Since we are talking about a book from 25 years ago, maybe we should get a bit more realistic and stay away from the fantasy type 9.8 grades which most of us would not have. Especially considering that it is tough enough to get a 9.8 today from newsstand books that are still brand new. lol

Any idea what this book would have gone for in 9.4, 9.2, 9.0, and in raw condition back in its 2008 peak and also nowadays? hm