• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern
3 3

22 posts in this topic

So I picked up a run of Green Lantern in a trade for some framing. 69-224 minus the Adams run.

I have never cared for the art of the early books but how are the stories? Are they worth picking up to complete the run?

Edited by Shadow Images

So I picked up a run of Green Lantern in a trade for some framing. 69-224 minus the Adams run.

I have never cared for the art of the early books but how are the stories? Are they worth picking up to complete the run?

The Adams run from #76-89 is a definite yes. Outside of that, even in high grade most of the rest, including keys, can be landed for cheap in low to high graded relative to other SA titles. Some of the earlier issues have great Gil Kane covers to go with his interiors, but I have never read any of the stories even though I have owned a few runs over the years so I can't comment on that.

The stories are 1960s DC sci fi cornball. I am a big GL fan ( I only need six more issues to compete my silver age run) but the first 30 or so issues are not very good. After that Gil Kane finally found his style and the books at least looked better, but they were never all that well written until the Neal Adams run.

90-when ever it became "Green Lantern" again instead of "Green Lantern/Green Arrow" are definite corn. Itty anyone?

Add the Adams books and that's just about my GL run as well. They are over all enjoyable, just not mind blowing or must-have or anything. I remember the 190's to the end of the series being pretty good though.

Pfeh, never mind .. thought I was still in the Bronze and/or Copper forum .. I've been out of it a few months :D The Silver stuff is absolute 60s corn but I dig it. I have scattered issues from about 22 to Adams, and no real desire to pay the money to fill in most of them, but if you can patch-work the run together, it would be pretty neat to own.

Edited by Rommin

Back on Monday in the office, was one of my favourite books in the 60s. Was briefly in love with Carol Ferris, but i matured and realised it was a boyhood crush. Been faithful to Iris ever since. (Keep hoping Thawne will finally finish him off so I can get my chance).

the Guardians may be Broome's most enduring legacy, that or " the Rogues"

I had a copy of issue #4, but sold it about 3 years ago. Naturally having revived this thread it hit me that I missed having a copy. lol  Just in yesterday my "new" copy of issue #4.

image.jpeg.36a878cb9bbc57fbc2ea1f62150175f3.jpeg

My old copy, though not nearly as nice, was obtained with a trade of a higher grade bronze age book.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.cf2576597f8a00ea4ce82453797d4780.jpeg

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 11/5/2021 at 6:48 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Sweet looking copy of issue #2.  (thumbsu IMHO the first 5 issues have some really great action covers.

It's pretty brittle actually. I wish there was a way to take that out without actually altering the book.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:51 PM, Aman619 said:

I was always attracted to the GL covers Gil Kane pencilled AND inked in issues starting with 47 or 49.  They really stood out versus the more fully inked earlier ones  that 50 is a good example 

Yea, The Kane covers really stand out in this series. That they are all cheap still is a big bonus also. :applause:

On 11/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, SpeedforceKJ said:

I've really been wanting to pick up some silver age GL recently. I gotta find a starting point 

I don't have any issues later than #30, nor have I read them.  I would suggest starting with issue #24 (published Oct 1963). An affordable copy can easily be found on Ebay. I seem to recall the story is pretty good as well.

image.jpeg.5633214117e58f26b8bd7a351c35fba0.jpeg