• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel SA keys, please educate me.

52 posts in this topic

Like why is Hulk #1 so much more than the others?

Is it mostly demand?

Are print runs a factor?

Scarcity?

I assume any book after 62 had much higher print runs?

Low-mid grade is the most relevant to me, but high grade info is welcome.

Thanks guys.

Looks like price from highest to lowest is:

1. AF15

2. Hulk 1

3. FF 1

4. ASM 1

5. JIM 83

6. TOS 39

7. X-men 1

8. Avengers 1

9. ST 110

10. TTA 27

Compared to each other in value it looks like this to me.

5.0 stars = AF15

4.0 stars = Hulk 1

3.5 stars = FF 1

3.0 stars = ASM 1

2.5 stars = JIM 83

2.0 stars = TOS 39

1.5 stars = X-men 1 and Avengers 1

1.0 star = ST 110 and TTA 27

Is it mostly demand?

Are print runs a factor?

Scarcity?

As a run collector, I always tell people, "when the collection is ready, the keys will appear." You don't sound ready. Why dive into the keys before knowing anything about the era?

Is it mostly demand?

Are print runs a factor?

Scarcity?

As a run collector, I always tell people, "when the collection is ready, the keys will appear." You don't sound ready. Why dive into the keys before knowing anything about the era?

(thumbs u:sumo:

If you don't understand why books like Hulk 1 and AF15 are so popular, you obviously don't collect much. (shrug)

I don't think the amounts of collecting is equal to one's knowlege of SA values etc.

I'd like to learn more about the books. I'd like to think there's more to it than popularity.

Is it mostly demand?

Are print runs a factor?

Scarcity?

I understand a lot about the Marvel Silver Age and have several already. I not on the brink of doing anything drastic...

Can you tell me something interesting about these books?

What do you mean by "when the collection is ready"?

Yes :makepoint:

:gossip: Don't like a star rating of major key's though meh

What's a better way to compare them to each other without $?

Simple each super heroes popularity and add it the scarcity factor.

Maybe I'm being too vague.

I was talking to my LCS owner today about Marvel SA and he was saying how JIM 83 is the rarest of the 10. How AM15 is much more common compared to Hulk 1. And about how the gray tones are preserved in certain copies of AF 15 compared to others.

This is the type of info I find interesting and fun to talk about.

SC4 is the rarest of the to 10 SA books. The other rarer ones are Hulk 1 (in high grade), TTA27 and BB28.

Spidey is the most popular superhero of all time now (Batman would be a close 2nd in my opinion some say they are the same). None of the other books will pass AF15 as far as value goes it is the Action Comics #1 of SA and Hulk 1 is the TEC 27 of SA books. I could see SC4 becoming ranked #3 in a few years time and FF1 going down to #4.

X-Men #1 is only rare in CGC 9.2 and higher and very common in lower grades.

I would say Thor and Iron Man are equal in popularity but JIM 83 is rarer than TOS 39.

I'm not comparing to GA because it's totally different.

I'm surprised that Hulk is so popular.

Thanks for the info on the X-men and the jim and tos.

I always heard that early DC SA is really tough, but that's about all I know about it.

What do you mean by "when the collection is ready"?

All of your questions would be evident if you were buying the surrounding issues. If you parachute into a genre and only buy "the best ones," you don't have the same perspective.

Pardon my ignorance to the OP, but are those books in your signature line yours?

If so , why is this conversation even happening? (shrug)

I'm sorry if marvel sa keys are a sore subject or something...

Is this not the place to chit chat about Silver age?

Am I missing something ?

This guy seems very respectful, and very sincere, and he seems to be getting roasted (in a subtle way).

Maybe I'm missing something. Because he is not sure exactly what makes Hulk #1 the 2nd biggest key in the SA ?

I dunno...

Since this is a collectables market its hard to predict exactly how buyers should behave. Marvel keys seem to sell at a premium to DC keys regardless of supply of the books. There is this interesting thread I found on the forum that compares the availability of Action Comics 1 to Amazing Fantasy 15 and Hulk 181 (ive linked below). Based on the consensus estimates the Marvel super keys sell at about a 3 times premium of action comics if you adjust for similar circulation in their median condition.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8408960&fpart=3

I put together a small model based on these estimates and found that general desirability is:

New mutants 98 4* premium of action comics

Hulk 181 3* premium

Amazing Fantasy 15 3* premium

Spiderman 129 2* premium

X-mem 1 1.5* premium

Hulk 1 1.5* premium

The other marvel keys I looked at dont seem to sell at much a premium compared to action comics 1.

Sorry if this is confusing, first time poster and also on my mobile phone. I think what skews the market is that a lot of buyers are not investors, they are just fans. What fans value is not necessarily backed by a hard analysis, its just the books that make them feel the most satisfaction owning.