• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel SA keys, please educate me.

52 posts in this topic

Hulk 1 in high grade is the scarcest to find of all the Marvel keys. The answer to your questions lie in the CGC Census, and if you look at it for that issue, you'll see that there are none in 9.6 or better, one in 9.4, four in 9.2, and eleven in 9.0 condition. That's just insanely scarce compared to the other Silver Age Marvel titles, although compared to Golden Age, it's clearly not as scarce.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/index.asp

Look at the number of issues they've graded for each of the keys you're asking about, and you'll see patterns emerge that answer your questions. If you want an Amazing Spider-Man #1 in any grade, including the high ones, you won't have to wait long or look very far. If you want a Hulk #1, it's a lot harder.

Am I missing something ?

This guy seems very respectful, and very sincere, and he seems to be getting roasted (in a subtle way).

Maybe I'm missing something. Because he is not sure exactly what makes Hulk #1 the 2nd biggest key in the SA ?

I dunno...

I'm wondering the same thing. The amount of crotchetiness in this thread is too damn high. (tsk)

+1

I think he had a good question. It wasn't indicative of noobiness it was just "what do you think makes this book so desirable". If we can't answer that question politely on a board dedicated to collecting comics all hope is lost.

For me personally I would say it is a confluence of multiple factors:

1. The Hulk is just damn cool - the character is a good one that appeals to lots of people;

2. the relative scarcity (and note I said relative) of the book compared to other SA keys;

3. the continued presence of the Hulk in popular culture. My parents were familiar with the Lou Ferrigno and my generation and younger have been exposed to the character in toys, TV, movies Etc

4. The current manic market where movie hype and Marvel studios drives prices A LOT

Am I missing something ?

This guy seems very respectful, and very sincere, and he seems to be getting roasted (in a subtle way).

Maybe I'm missing something. Because he is not sure exactly what makes Hulk #1 the 2nd biggest key in the SA ?

I dunno...

I agree. No need for any friction. Kightsofold deserve more respect than that.

Woops I meant to write "It wasn't indicative of noobiness it was just "what do you think makes this book so desirable"."

Even if it was indicative of noobiness, everybody starts somewhere. No reason to shame someone for asking a question you know the answer to. Just provide the answer and move on.

The search function on the forums isn't exactly what I'd call intuitive.

Woops I meant to write "It wasn't indicative of noobiness it was just "what do you think makes this book so desirable"."

Even if it was indicative of noobiness, everybody starts somewhere. No reason to shame someone for asking a question you know the answer to. Just provide the answer and move on.

The search function on the forums isn't exactly what I'd call intuitive.

You can say that again. I've been here for a long time and I still feel like I'm trying to solve vector calculus trying to find something.

If anyone did just a little research and looked at his posts they'd see that he is a genuine collector.

But everyone starts somewhere.

So here we have someone that might be relatively new, or not as knowledgeable as some lifelong collectors , and getting into comics for all the right reasons and we treat him like he doesn't belong.

Come on guys.

If anyone did just a little research and looked at his posts they'd see that he is a genuine collector.

So here we have someone that might be relatively new, or not as knowledgeable as some lifelong collectors , and getting into comics for all the right reasons and we treat him like he doesn't belong.

Come on guys.

Talk about beating a dead horse! I was just asking the guy a question myself,not trying to degrade,humiliate, off,or any other type of whatever you think I meant.

You guys are worse than a bunch of old gossiping lady's at a coffee clatch. :eyeroll:

Come on guys.

Talk about beating a dead horse! I was just asking the guy a question myself,not trying to degrade,humiliate, off,or any other type of whatever you think I meant.

You guys are worse than a bunch of old gossiping lady's at a coffee clatch. :eyeroll:

A95E8E85-5D66-4BC3-AE0E-4790F83CEC2A_zpskap1jips.jpg

Come on guys.

I wasn't addressing you personally. My post was meant to address the general mood of this thread, but if you really want it to be about you, you could start by apologizing. :baiting:

lol

Well you couldn't do much better then to start with those keys. (worship) My first Marvel key was FF#1 many years ago. Thank goodness I have all the Marvel keys today. I probably wouldn't be able or willing to afford them today. Example, I bought a Spidey #1 back in the 80's off a private collector for $60.00. That ship has sailed.