• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ToS #39 - Back of Front Cover is Different?

24 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've encountered a seller who is selling his Tales of Suspense #39. The seller sent me some screenshots and have noticed that the back of the front cover appears to be a blank cardboard. The seller said that he got the comic book from an auction and he was not aware that the cover was different from the regular one. Here are the pictures of the said comic book.

Front cover:

TOS%2039_zpswft8r3oj.jpg

The back of the front cover:

Tales%20of%20Nonsense%2039_zpsacgjwerh.jpg

And as a reference, here is the "normal" back of front cover:

Tales%20of%20Suspense%2039_zpsr2a8mb2c.jpg

So what do you guys think? Is this the original cover or a reproduction/reprint? The front cover seems to be real due to the wear and tear.

Also, is this comic book worth owning even though it is in this condition and with a cover like that? Seller is asking $640 for it.

Thanks in advance for the reply and suggestions.

Yeah looks like it was glued to the cardboard. Never seen anything like it either. That's pretty cheap though. It would probably come back restored if you get it grades if it has glue on it. Your call.

Thanks for the comment guys! I really appreciate it.

Just a follow up question: If I decide to have it slabbed, what will the grade of this book will be? I understand that it will be classified as a restored book (purple label).

To me, it looks like the back of the cover was reinforced with kraft paper tape. I think you can even see the horizontal lines of the edges of the tape.

Given the amateur materials used for the repairs, it might get a blue label from CGC unless there is also color touch, and I don't see any.

I’m with Point Five, any TOS 39 is cool but that one is a real beater. I would just skip it, and def. wouldn’t pull the trigger at the asking price. Is that foxing or mold on the bottom of the splash page? Does the book smell okay? It also looks like there is serious splitting going on with many pages, not just the cover. Nothing wrong with a coverless or near coverless copy, but you don’t want the thing to fall apart in your hands.

Given the amateur materials used for the repairs, it might get a blue label from CGC unless there is also color touch, and I don't see any.

Actually, it does look to me like there's color touch. The "#39" box look to have some tape-pull-type damage which has been redrawn in a few spots. Ditto for the big red logo area next to it, and hard to see but likely the CCA box as well.

So a purple-label Restored .5. Whew!

Thanks for the input guys! I showed the seller your points and he came down in price. He's now selling it at $250. Do you think it is worth purchasing or still a pass?

Wow, for $250, I would definitely buy it, sub it, and be happy with a .5 purple label that was super cheap.

I think what you're seeing there is a strip of kraft paper tape along the edge of the front and back covers. Clearly the book has some extensive amateur repairs, but I'm not sure that it has been trimmed.

Agreed, it looks like tape that extends past the edge of the cover

I'd trim that over hanging tape off when I got it.

It would make it look a lot better IMO

Buy it!