• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LONG BEACH COMIC CON - SEPT. 17 & 18, 2016 - LONG BEACH, CA

33 posts in this topic

Hey All:

The Long Beach Comic Con is taking place on Saturday & Sunday, Sept. 17 & 18, 2016 at the The Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center (200 South Pine Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90802). More can be found at: http://www.longbeachcomiccon.com/news.php

The line up for this con is looking impressive, especially on the rare celebs side --

CELEBS:

G.I. JOE / TRANFORMERS Cartoon Cast

- MICHAEL BELL (Duke, Clutch, Major Blood, Lift Ticket, Scarp-Iron and Xamot. He also voiced Prowl, Scrapper, Sideswipe, Bonecrusher, Bombshell, Swoop, First Aid, and Brainstorm on TRANSFORMERS)

- ARTHUR BURGHARDT (Destro, Stalker and Iceberg. He was also Devastator on TRANSFORMERS)

- HANK GARRETT (Dialtone)

- ZACK HOFFMAN (Zartan)

- MORGAN LOFTING (Baroness also Firestar on TRANSFORMERS)

- LOREN LESTER (Barbeque)

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES / BATMAN: ARKHAM GAMES CAST

- KEVIN CONROY (Batman)

- LOREN LESTER (Robin also Kurt Langstrom aka Manbat)

- TROY BAKER (Not on animated series but plays Robin, Harvey Dent AKA Two Face, Tim Drake AKA Robin, Joker [on the downloadable iOS games])

- PHIL LAMARR (Static Shock, Samurai Jack, John Stewart AKA Green Lantern and Steel on JUSTICE LEAGUE, Hermes Conrad on FUTURAMA, King Orin and Aquaman on YOUNG JUSTICE)

- HERBERT JEFFERSON JR

COMIC BOOK PEEPS

- GREG LAND

- JAE LEE

- PETER DAVID

- BRETT BOOTH

- JUNE CHUNG

- JOE EISMA

- DUSTIN NGUYEN

- DEREK FRIHOLFS

- KERON GRANT

- RAY-ANTHONY HEIGHT

- KYLE HIGGINS

- JOELLE JONES

- SCOT KOBLISH

- MIKE MAYHEW

- JONBOY MEYERS

- TODD NAUCK

- PETER NGUYEN

- EDDIE NUNEZ

- MIKE PERKINS

- WHILCE PORTACIO

- LIVIO RAMONDELLI

- NORM RAPMUND

- STEPHANE ROUX

- NICK SPENCER

They've Added:

- STEVE EPTING

- COLLEEN DORAN

- ALE GARZA

- CRAIG KYLE

- JIMMY PALMIOTTI

- JAMES SILVANI

- CAT STAGGS

- ART THIBERT

- FRANK TIERI

- MARV WOLFMAN

- MIKE KUNKEL

- JOE BENITEZ

No, I don't but several years ago I asked Marv Wolfman if he would sign a book for me. I handed him a ball point pen and asked if he would sign at the bottom of the splash page. He grunted and proceeded to scrawl his name across the cover real large with a Sharpie. He then said "$5.00". He had no sign nor did he say he charged anything for a signature. I was kinda floored. He repeated "$5.00". I looked at him and handed the book to the guy behind me and didn't pay him a dime. I mean, really? Who does this Bozo think he is? Kirby? Frazetta? Both of which happily signed for me at no charge. Is there anybody out there that would pay even $5. for Marv?

Same show, Berni Wrightson cheerfully signed two Swamp things and posed for a picture. Cost $0! Now there is one tallented and friendly gentleman.

As for this pissy guestlist, Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner USED to sign for free (where Jimmy goes, Amanda isn't far behind). VERY nice people. But, with all the Harley Quinn fame who knows.

The rest of this list seems to be B and C list "tallent". Can't see paying any of them for anything except maybe a sketch.

If these comic artists and writers need the money so bad, maybe they should get "real jobs" and not milk the fans for an autograph.

I will be there to buy some comics and see some friends.

Rant, rant, rant...

No, I don't but several years ago I asked Marv Wolfman if he would sign a book for me. I handed him a ball point pen and asked if he would sign at the bottom of the splash page. He grunted and proceeded to scrawl his name across the cover real large with a Sharpie. He then said "$5.00". He had no sign nor did he say he charged anything for a signature. I was kinda floored. He repeated "$5.00". I looked at him and handed the book to the guy behind me and didn't pay him a dime. I mean, really? Who does this Bozo think he is? Kirby? Frazetta? Both of which happily signed for me at no charge. Is there anybody out there that would pay even $5. for Marv?

Same show, Berni Wrightson cheerfully signed two Swamp things and posed for a picture. Cost $0! Now there is one tallented and friendly gentleman.

As for this pissy guestlist, Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner USED to sign for free (where Jimmy goes, Amanda isn't far behind). VERY nice people. But, with all the Harley Quinn fame who knows.

The rest of this list seems to be B and C list "tallent". Can't see paying any of them for anything except maybe a sketch.

If these comic artists and writers need the money so bad, maybe they should get "real jobs" and not milk the fans for an autograph.

Rant, rant, rant...

I heard Hardin wants to charge for his signature now too.

Rant, rant, rant...

I sat in Marv's house last year, and very grudgingly paid his TWENTY dollars per book "for CGC", because I felt they were worth it. That's the last dime he's gotten out of me, though, unless he changes his tune. These creators who charge a DIFFERENT PRICE for "graded" books are doing themselves tremendous public relations damage. Marv Wolfman wrote some of the most powerful books I red as a young man, books that have made a lasting impact on me.

But his unwillingness to allow that people collect things in different ways that he may not understand has really, really soured me, and I won't be supporting him or his work again.

I was willing to pay $5/book for 2 minutes of his time. I am NOT willing to pay $20/book, just because he "thinks I'm going to sell it" (which isn't any of his business anyways. Who does he think he is, worrying about what other people do with their property?) His signature isn't worth that kind of money.

He's free to charge whatever he wants...just like I'm free to say that he's alienating fans by doing so.

031.jpg

Dream come true...but won't be getting anything more done until and unless he understands what his signature is worth.

Jimmy and Amanda ALSO charge for "graded" books.

:eyeroll:

Both Jimmy and Amanda charge differently for raw and graded books. However, I believe half if not all of what they collect go to the Hero's Initiative. I think it's great and I don't have an issue paying their fee.

Earlier this year at Long Beach, I think they charged $5 for a graded book. For raws, I think it was 5 books were free and after that it was $5. Again, this is what I think they were charging at the show.

Both Jimmy and Amanda charge differently for raw and graded books. However, I believe half if not all of what they collect go to the Hero's Initiative. I think it's great and I don't have an issue paying their fee.

Earlier this year at Long Beach, I think they charged $5 for a graded book. For raws, I think it was 5 books were free and after that it was $5. Again, this is what I think they were charging at the show.

It would be nice if Jimmy and Amanda charged the same fee for their signatures...it's the same amount of work, after all...and donated all of it to Hero's.

This special "CGC tax" has got to stop.

I'll be there hopefully I'll find some good books. And I know i'll find a good burger.

Where's the good burger?

We like the Island burger that is across from the convention center. There is a ton of places to eat in the area.