• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 167

10 posts in this topic

Though not quite Golden Age, Detective 167 isn't yet Silver Age either, having hit the newstands in November 1950 with a January 1951 cover date. I just got my copy back from CGC today and it got a 9.4 grade and it's been labeled as the Mile High Copy. I bought it at the San Diego Comic-Con in 1993. It's got a fantastic cover; check it out in the Gerbers or at dcindexes.com. It took nearly two months to get the book back, but it was well worth the wait. I plan to hold onto it for a few more years and then I'll sell it and let someone enjoy it. I just love those small logo Detectives!

Though not quite Golden Age, Detective 167 isn't yet Silver Age either, having hit the newstands in November 1950 with a January 1951 cover date. I just got my copy back from CGC today and it got a 9.4 grade and it's been labeled as the Mile High Copy. I bought it at the San Diego Comic-Con in 1993. It's got a fantastic cover; check it out in the Gerbers or at dcindexes.com. It took nearly two months to get the book back, but it was well worth the wait. I plan to hold onto it for a few more years and then I'll sell it and let someone enjoy it. I just love those small logo Detectives!

Whadda scooop! (The colors must be outrageous on that copy!)893applaud-thumb.gif

Welcome to the boards. hi.gif

And we'd definitely like to see a scan of the book -- here would be fine, or check out the thread "In the Shadow of the Atomic Age" -- it's specifically for a "tweener" book like that.

I bought the book from Gary Carter who had, at the time, many of the small logo Mile High Detectives. He, of course, bought them from Chuck Rozanski. He was selling them in the $1000-1300 range at the time (1991-1993) which seems dirt cheap now, but back then. . . . Anyway, I'm still working on trying to scan the book but it comes out so dark when you scan a slabbed book. Any ideas? Let me know!

Re: Evidence for the MH Detective 167. I merely told the employee taking the submission that I bought the book from Gary Carter back in 1993 at the San Diego Con. He noted that information on the submission form and "that was that". He did tell, me, however, that their graders would try to get hold of Gary Carter or that they have their own method of determining that it is, in fact, the MH copy. Anyway, when I called up and asked for the grade, Gemma (I think that's her name) that it was graded as a 9.4 and that it was the MH copy and that it would be so designated on the label. I received the book on Friday and sure enough it was. That's all I know. Anyway, my wife and I are working on a much clear scan or we'll take a photo of it. Give me a couple-three days and I'll post it.

Thanks for asking!

Steve, welcome to the boards! Its nice to hear from a friend and fellow long time collector! Hope you get the scan of the Church copy of Detective #167 up soon, cause having seen it when you bought it I can attest to it being an awesome book to behold! Erik

Steve, welcome to the boards! Its nice to hear from a friend and fellow long time collector! Hope you get the scan of the Church copy of Detective #167 up soon, cause having seen it when you bought it I can attest to it being an awesome book to behold! Erik

It's not often that I see someone with 1 post welcome another member to the boards, so Erik and Steve, to both of you let me say, "WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!"

And feel free to share a scan of the Tec 167 (and any other cool books).