• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC vs The Super Bowl???

65 posts in this topic

My daughter and I were waiting for Killing Joke to start at our local cinema and she was so excited because the theatre was packed and she looked around and said these are all real fans. It's so awesome. Then she said that she was proud that pop culture is so huge nowadays and that's she's loved it since she could talk. She then says that comic book culture is as big as sports is nowadays. Which I thought was a pretty bold statement but probably not far from the truth.

My question is this (and I know it's biased posing on a comic book forum) but if you were offered an all expenses paid trip to the Super Bowl or to Comic Con, which one would you choose? She seems to think it would be fifty/fifty and I don't think that's a fanciful ideal.

What say you?

Jim

Is it hard to get tickets to SDCC? And are they that expensive? On value alone it seems the SB would be the better option. I know that is what I would pick (but I'm also a die hard football fan).

Super Bowl all the way. Been to SDCC several times. If you could get tickets to see a Super Bowl with your favorite team that would be no comparison.

Now if you throw in meeting all celebrities at SDCC for that year, then that would be a little harder choice and I might change my mind.

I don't understand the appeal of the Superbowl.

I'd choose SD - it's so much more than just a comic book convention. It's a destination get-away that is comic themed.

What would you pay for Superbowl tix?

Flights/hotel/tix, etc is probably a $5000+ experience, depending on how you do your trip but there is no other con in the world where the city itself becomes a convention. Add in the perfect weather and all the people you meet and see and to me there is no comparison.

I don't understand the appeal of the Superbowl.

I'd choose SD - it's so much more than just a comic book convention. It's a destination get-away that is comic themed.

What would you pay for Superbowl tix?

Flights/hotel/tix, etc is probably a $5000+ experience, depending on how you do your trip but there is no other con in the world where the city itself becomes a convention. Add in the perfect weather and all the people you meet and see and to me there is no comparison.

There is also more to the SB than just the game. And if it is in a nice destination that would certainly help.

Too many factors here. On the face of it, and from my experience working games at the college level, I don't think I'd enjoy going to the Superbowl.

Now if it were a choice between SDCC and a Saturday night UFC? UFC!