• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC vs The Super Bowl???

65 posts in this topic

My daughter and I were waiting for Killing Joke to start at our local cinema and she was so excited because the theatre was packed and she looked around and said these are all real fans. It's so awesome. Then she said that she was proud that pop culture is so huge nowadays and that's she's loved it since she could talk. She then says that comic book culture is as big as sports is nowadays. Which I thought was a pretty bold statement but probably not far from the truth.

My question is this (and I know it's biased posing on a comic book forum) but if you were offered an all expenses paid trip to the Super Bowl or to Comic Con, which one would you choose? She seems to think it would be fifty/fifty and I don't think that's a fanciful ideal.

What say you?

Jim

This is easy. The Super Bowl. I can always get tickets to the SDCC if I wanted, but getting tickets to the Super Bowl is on another level completely.

Superbowl. Good luck getting tickets on your own.

This. As much as I would like to go to SDCC someday, it's an attainable goal. The Super Bowl is a much more difficult goal and might be unattainable for me.

Superbowl. I've been to the Stanley Cup finals, the NBA finals, the US Open Golf Championship, the Women's World Cup and the summer Olympics, but never a Superbowl (or the World Series or men's World Cup :( ).

I've been to two Super Bowls and one SDCC. They are both awesome. But I would choose Super Bowl. The electricity in the city and all of the other things to do leading up to the game, the musical guests and the NFL Experience push it to another level.

I'd pick SDCC even if my favourite football team was playing. SD in July sounds better in July than any American City in January. In addition, the game is rarely competitive.

Now if it were the Leafs in the Stanley Cup Finals that would be a different story...

I'd pick SDCC even if my favourite football team was playing. SD in July sounds better in July than any American City in January. In addition, the game is rarely competitive.

Now if it were the Leafs in the Stanley Cup Finals that would be a different story...

Sure-- there can be blow outs but there have been some awesome games that came down to the wire in the past ten years. Also-- if the Superbowl is in Phoenix or Tampa or Miami in January-- the weather is typically wonderful. Though the NFL under Goodell has been making places like New York and other more northern cities host them which would suck unless you are into the diehard old school frame of mind.

Even New Orleans in January can be a fun place to party. Dallas and San Fran-- hit or miss. That why I said it depends on the venue.

The next host cities announced are:

2017 Houston

2018 Minneapolis

2019 Atlanta

2020 Miami

2021 Inglewood, CA

Sure-- there can be blow outs but there have been some awesome games that came down to the wire in the past ten years. Also-- if the Superbowl is in Phoenix or Tampa or Miami in January-- the weather is typically wonderful. Though the NFL under Goodell has been making places like New York and other more northern cities host them which would suck unless you are into the diehard old school frame of mind.

Even New Orleans in January can be a fun place to party. Dallas and San Fran-- hit or miss. That why I said it depends on the venue.

The next host cities announced are:

2017 Houston

2018 Minneapolis

2019 Atlanta

2020 Miami

2021 Inglewood, CA

Come to Houston. And bring your money. :grin:

I was fortunate enough to see my favorite team win their first SB in NYC. Tickets were pricey, but not typical (so it seems). I do think the venue played a part, even though the weather at game time wasn't horrible. Having crossed that off my list, I'd choose another SB over SDCC even though I've never been. I really loved the overall experience leading up to the game. San Diego seems like it could be fun, but in the crowded touristy theme park kind of way. I could be way off though.

2021 Inglewood, CA.

I'll have to go to that one and stay at my cousin's house. It will probably be the last one Tom Brady will play in since he said he would play until he is 44. lol

I'm not sure how much I would really enjoy what SDCC has become, but it would probably be worth experiencing at least once.

I could care less about the NFL.

... but not much less. ;)