• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your Joe Kubert reading list ?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I bought my first Joe Kubert page a few weeks ago, from Weird War tales vol.1 issue 7.

sY1GQRra_2807161036151gpadd.jpg

I'm 41, and have never been interested in war stories, I was still blown away by his inking, the character faces, and how he managed to tell the story.

I read Yossel many years ago, his latest Tor book, and just bought the Showcase presents : World war tales book, and the 3 first Tarzan omnibus.

If among you are Joe Kubert's fan, could you advise me on some comic books and books ?

There's "The Weird Horrors and daring adventures" collection but it seems a little dated to me, and not really look as it was done by the same artist.

And what about the Enemy Ace and Sgt Rock collection ? In comparison with the Weird War tales ?

There's also the "Man of Rock" biography, which seems to be partially reprinted in the book "The art of Joe Kubert". I'm interested in interviews as well as analysis of his narrative process and evolution.

Finally, I've never seen any Tor art around. Did you ?

Regarding Joe Kubert, I'm only a very humble Grasshopper, so enlighten me, wise ones.

Thanks.

I just finished reading both Man of Rock and the third Showcase collection of Sgt. Rock.

Man of Rock was fascinating especially in terms of examining the breath of his career. He was an active creator from the golden age to the day he died. I don't think anyone comes even close to that. It's definitely worth a read.

I can't compare it to Weird War Tales, but the artwork in the Sgt. Rock comics was brilliant. It's perfect for the black and white format of the Showcase line. I have a hard time imagining the color originals being any better. One minor quibble is that they don't read very well in large doses because they're pretty repetitive. Over the course of about 25 issues, Rock gets blinded three times, he goes out on patrol with a bunch of rookies who all get killed twice, etc. Still, it's not bad, but Kubert's art is the real draw. His abilities to portray emotion, lay out a page, and tell a story are just incredible.

And yes, definitely buy the Artist's Editions. I'll be picking up the Best of DC War book as soon as possible.