• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone else had issue with ComicLink lack of quality control?

64 posts in this topic

In the last three years, I've had problems with ComicLink having misrepresented auctions. Such as saying a certain auction is single highest on the census only to find there are actually 2 others with the same grade. I've actually seen them list items as highest graded @ 9.6 only to find it was actually 2nd or even 3rd highest.

This has happened so often over the last several years that I no longer trust their listings and feel I have to check the census prior to any bid. I won a Batman Beyond #1 CGC 9.8 listed as single highest but was actually tied with 2 others. I won Zap #2 CGC 9.2 listed as single highest grade when it was actually 3rd highest, with 9 being graded higher.I sold a Batman and Robin CGC 9.8 recalled edition comic that they listed as 2nd highest & someone had the same book and grade that they listed as highest graded. I won a Shogun Warriors CGC 9.0 double cover comic where the case was cracked and was never mentioned by comiclink. I wasn't going to pay $27 to get a new case for a 9.0 graded comic from the late 70's, so I sold it as is on ebay.

There were four auctions in a row where Comiclink listed Web of Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8 as highest graded. I had to remind them that there is a 10.0 out there, because I remember that they actually sold it on their site.

It's called HUMAN ERROR.

I wouldn't ding them too badly for this---the census is constantly evolving/changing. I'd personally would prefer them simply link to the issue in the census and stop talking to it. PROBLEM SOLVED.

It's always caveat emptor anyway and I would expect anyone that REALLY CARES about the census to check it out before they bid. These problems are existing on other sites as well. Can you imagine what kind of work would be involved here to keep everything 100% up to date? It's ridiculous. It's an approximation is how I perceive this information. Go to the source!!!

Add to that the fact that ComicLink doesn't know what's at CGC waiting to be graded. It's a double-edged sword for the buyer....even if the data on the site is right....it can all change in a blink of they eye in the next census update.

There were four auctions in a row where Comiclink listed Web of Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8 as highest graded. I had to remind them that there is a 10.0 out there, because I remember that they actually sold it on their site.

Did they change the listing after you notified them?

Many times those auctions are created well in advance. In that time frame it is feasible that other books are submitted to capture the top spot.

In other instances I have noticed that many books have descriptions that are 'stock' in nature. CLink and Comic Connect have both done this. I have seen current listings for books describing interest being at an all time high due to an upcoming movie that has already been released in the theaters and Blu Ray.

Yes, eventually.

Yes, eventually.

When you say eventually, did they change before the book ended up selling?

I wouldn't expect them to make a change right away. Probably low on the list of priorities over all.

I have things that are listed that reflect an outdated census number. It's just the way things are. Low priorities and whatnot.

The solution to that isn't to get upset at people, but to do, as you have done, your own research...and not pay premiums for artificial constructs like "single highest graded!" For almost everything, there is a guarantee that another one or several will eventually show up just like it.

I have things that are listed that reflect an outdated census number. It's just the way things are. Low priorities and whatnot.

The solution to that isn't to get upset at people, but to do, as you have done, your own research...and not pay premiums for artificial constructs like "single highest graded!" For almost everything, there is a guarantee that another one or several will eventually show up just like it.

Damn, you edited it :mad:

Damn, you edited it :mad:

Ninja stealth edits.

Many times those auctions are created well in advance. In that time frame it is feasible that other books are submitted to capture the top spot.

In other instances I have noticed that many books have descriptions that are 'stock' in nature. CLink and Comic Connect have both done this. I have seen current listings for books describing interest being at an all time high due to an upcoming movie that has already been released in the theaters and Blu Ray.

Shouldn't I as the bidder/buyer expect something listed as single highest grade be exactly that? They are getting more and higher bids because of how they are listing the item. More are going to bid & the final bid price is probably going to be higher than if the item were listed as 1 of 8 @ 9.8

The case of Zap Comix #2 CGC 9.2 listed as single highest and actually being 3rd shouldn't be blown off. There were 9 others graded higher. I find it hard to believe that nine other were graded higher after the auction was set up. I am finding they are doing this in every auction. All they would have to do is have a quality control person double check for this kind of thing before the auction goes live and there wouldn't be any problem.

Shouldn't I as the bidder/buyer expect something listed as single highest grade be exactly that? They are getting more and higher bids because of how they are listing the item. More are going to bid & the final bid price is probably going to be higher than if the item were listed as 1 of 8 @ 9.8

The case of Zap Comix #2 CGC 9.2 listed as single highest and actually being 3rd shouldn't be blown off. There were 9 others graded higher. I find it hard to believe that nine other were graded higher after the auction was set up. I am finding they are doing this in every auction. All they would have to do is have a quality control person double check for this kind of thing before the auction goes live and there wouldn't be any problem.

Stop giving them your business if their descriptions are suspect. 2c

High volume sellers reuse old listings. Information can change over time and they miss it.

Even quality control doesn't catch all mistakes. No company has a 100% success rate with their product.

Stop giving them your business if their descriptions are suspect. 2c

Yes, I would stop bidding if I were you. Please do in fact. It will create less competition for the rest of us.

Shouldn't you as the buyer do your own research before blowing your money? If not I have some nice land to sell you.

Shouldn't I as the bidder/buyer expect something listed as single highest grade be exactly that?

I'm a big believer in due diligence. Unless you're bidding on scores of items, it shouldn't take long to complete the required research. :foryou:

Shouldn't I as the bidder/buyer expect something listed as single highest grade be exactly that?

I'm a big believer in due diligence. Unless you're bidding on scores of items, it shouldn't take long to complete the required research. :foryou:

It's still lame that Clink posts outdated info in their descriptions. Especially info that pimps the product as something it's not.

Even if you do your own thorough research and get completely accurate info, that doesn't mean you won't be bidding against a less informed or less savvy collector who will bid you up higher than if s/he didn't see that mis-information that leads to bias of higher bids.

If it's a one-off, I agree completely with those commenting that mistakes happen with high volumes of listings. But better to say nothing if the data are so completely flawed (if more than say, half, of listings carry this kind of error), and always in the same direction.

But then, as a comic shopper I can be a cheap fork.

Even if you do your own thorough research and get completely accurate info, that doesn't mean you won't be bidding against a less informed or less savvy collector who will bid you up higher than if s/he didn't see that mis-information that leads to bias of higher bids.

If it's a one-off, I agree completely with those commenting that mistakes happen with high volumes of listings. But better to say nothing if the data is so completely flawed (if more than say, half, of listings carry this kind of error), and always in the same direction.

^this

^ +1 Things can, and in most cases...do change. No you should NOT expect it...because the census is almost always changing, and no one knows what's around the corner waiting to be graded. Bid accordingly knowing this fact and do your research. And freakin' chill.

Yes, I would stop bidding if I were you. Please do in fact. It will create less competition for the rest of us.

lol

Nope, comiclink is notorious for this. I got burned in the past with a listing that said white pages and no scan but when the book arrived it had ow/w pages. I placed a bid and won it but would have not bid had I known it had ow/w. They wouldn't take it back citing all sales on cgc books final. I almost got burned with a single highest graded book but fortunately I lost that bid. I've seen a couple listed as highest graded for which I own the highest graded copy. Once I realized that I began triple checking every one of their listings I'm interested in and only bidding once I'm certain I want the book.

I try to notify them whenever I find a mistake in the listing. They've corrected it a couple of times but not all the time.

So I've started to keep a tracking spreadsheet of all the books I'm interested in at auction, their grade, PQ, description of presentation and centering, census, 12 mo gpa, most I'm willing to bid, and notes on whether there's any concerns with the listing. If theirs any question, I'll remember to not bid on those. It helps ensure I never buy a listing with an error.