• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with a book missing a page?

13 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone!

I recently found myself in a situation where I purchased a copy of Superman #12 from 1941. The book ended up missing the last page which I somehow overlooked before I purchased the book and sent it to CGC. (I know I should have counted the pages :makepoint: ) Anyway the book came back from CGC as a 4.0 Qualified Grade with a note that the last page is missing and that it does not effect the story. Well now I am trying to weigh my options. If I am able to find myself a coverless or incomplete copy of Superman #12 with the last page/wrap intact should I marry this page/wrap to my graded copy? This would then make the book restored I would assume? Should I just tape the page into the book because tape is not considered restoration? Should I just put the page in the book and leave it not attached? I'm not sure how this would effect the grade if I had the book regraded. Anyways it would be great to get some advice!

Thanks!

Aaron

Raw, that's an Overstreet Fair. I wouldn't change anything about it. To some, that's the best way to get a book at low grade prices with better eye appeal.

Tape is definitely going to ruin it, and I wouldn't want you chopping another copy of the book for a page. Crack it out so you're not distracted by the label and enjoy!

Hey Aaron. Your in a tough spot on this one with no great options. You can try reaching out to whomever sold you the book and explain the situation to them. They might offer to buy it back for the original price or at least refund a portion of the purchase price. Marrying a page to the book will not change the value all that much even if its nicely done. Whatever you do crack it out of its purple case so you don't have to constantly be reminded of your screw-up!

For sure! I hear you. My main reason for asking is considering resale value. I ending up may over paying for the book because of the missing page. I am just trying to figure out if there is anyway to increase the value of the book or if I am just SOL. Thanks!

Hey Aaron. Your in a tough spot on this one with no great options. You can try reaching out to whomever sold you the book and explain the situation to them. They might offer to buy it back for the original price or at least refund a portion of the purchase price. Marrying a page to the book will not change the value all that much even if its nicely done. Whatever you do crack it out of its purple case so you don't have to constantly be reminded of your screw-up!

Thanks for the info! That is what I kind of figured doh!

Hey Aaron. Your in a tough spot on this one with no great options. You can try reaching out to whomever sold you the book and explain the situation to them.

I like this advice.

Hey Aaron. Your in a tough spot on this one with no great options. You can try reaching out to whomever sold you the book and explain the situation to them.

I like this advice.

It was a CL buy so I think im kinda SOL with that option lol. The persons selling the book were not collectors just received the book from a parent.

Leave it alone. The market often does not assigned a "Fair" value to it even if that is what OPG says. I have gotten "Fair" guide for wrecks of desirable GA books (ones a lot less desirable than Superman 12) missing a whole wrap.

Leave it alone. The market often does not assigned a "Fair" value to it even if that is what OPG says. I have gotten "Fair" guide for wrecks of desirable GA books (ones a lot less desirable than Superman 12) missing a whole wrap.

So you mean the book could be worth over what OPG states for the book in fair condition just depends on the market?