• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Following the Profiles Auction

71 posts in this topic

I won't be bidding, but I'd like to keep abreast of the Profiles in History auction going down tomorrow. Can anyone tell me how their auction format works? Do I have to create an account with them or can I just follow their items on ebay?

Wrightson fans saved their bullets for the ST #4 Werewolf splash as I expected.

Why ? Whats so special on it ?

It's a superior piece of Wrightson artwork. Put it next to almost everything else offered and the reason people were willing to fight over it is evident.

Swamp Thing #4 cover reopened.

Sold at 60k

I wonder what happened there ?

$60k for it is less than you'd see it for on any dealer's wall. I would wager someone missed the beginning of the auction, or didn't think it would go for the minimum, and were saving cash to run at another piece later (like the ST #4 splash) and when they didn't get it called and asked to take a shot at it.

Or maybe they had a list of phone bidders for specific pieces they were supposed to contact, like Heritage does, and they missed someone.

Someone was willing to pay $60k+ fees for it, so they accommodated.

It's a superior piece of Wrightson artwork. Put it next to almost everything else offered and the reason people were willing to fight over it is evident.

Fair nuff

I am kinda new to appreciating Wrightson

Dont really know the market

Sold at 60k

$60k for it is less than you'd see it for on any dealer's wall. I would wager someone missed the beginning of the auction, or didn't think it would go for the minimum, and were saving cash to run at another piece later (like the ST #4 splash) and when they didn't get it called and asked to take a shot at it.

Or maybe they had a list of phone bidders for specific pieces they were supposed to contact, like Heritage does, and they missed someone.

I hate the optics of the way that auction looked though

Seemed shady to me even though possibly legitimate and exactly as you described

Nevertheless, doesn't instill confidence

Fair nuff

I am kinda new to appreciating Wrightson

Dont really know the market

Today is an anomaly for the Wrightson market. We went YEARS where you'd see 1 or 2 pieces this good per major auction, maybe. Some years with nothing this good. Before the Wrightson plate that went a few months back it was a long long time since the last public auction sale of one.

Given how long they waited until they called it originally I'd have thought they started calling random people to see if they were interested.

Sold at 60k

I hate the optics of the way that auction looked though

Seemed shady to me even though possibly legitimate and exactly as you described

Nevertheless, doesn't instill confidence

At least it was with a closed lot with no action.

If it had been a closed and sold lot however, that wouldn't work so good.

Given how long they waited until they called it originally I'd have thought they started calling random people to see if they were interested.

Or they couldn't get someone on the phone, yeah. It sounded to me like there was someone specific they were trying to reach and couldn't.