• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you ever have a book you're certain was damaged during grading?

55 posts in this topic

Would you expect any comic to have that amount of creasing to come back a 9.8? I wouldn't.

Not at all, which makes it even more puzzling. I am not infallible, I am stating what it looks like to me when you zoom in on it. You can definitely see there is something there, cannot tell if it's as bad as it is in the slab before hand or not, but there is definitely a diagonal crease there in the before pic

Take it from me, it was a lot worse after, CGC even admitted so themselves and refunded me.

Fair enough, conceded

we are all here to discuss, it would be fairly mess if we all had the same view. (thumbs u

Take it from me, it was a lot worse after, CGC even admitted so themselves and refunded me.

Fair enough, conceded

we are all here to discuss, it would be fairly mess if we all had the same view. (thumbs u

;) Exactly

Would you expect any comic to have that amount of creasing to come back a 9.8? I wouldn't.

Not at all, which makes it even more puzzling. I am not infallible, I am stating what it looks like to me when you zoom in on it. You can definitely see there is something there, cannot tell if it's as bad as it is in the slab before hand or not, but there is definitely a diagonal crease there in the before pic

If you look below the right shoulder, there is no color break visible in the raw scan. Compare it to the graded, and it looks like there is chipping plus a CB crease.

If you look below the right shoulder, there is no color break visible in the raw scan. Compare it to the graded, and it looks like there is chipping plus a CB crease.

It does look CB to me, but alas, the OP has stated that it wasn't damaged before submission and it was after and he was compensated, so that is that.

I agree that my view doesn't jive with the grade given as well. I suppose brains is correct and I need glasses

1)subbed a Batman #238 Boston; 9.2 lock, borderline 9.4. got a call from the man himself asking if i was sure it was a Boston as it was graded 7.5. somewhere along the line it got a huge corner crunch. i ate that loss.

2)subbed a Hellboy: Seed of Destruction #1 in 9.8 pre-screen, came back w/ big CB ding on spine. i had before pics, so i was compensated for that one.

2 out of maybe 500 subs. wish they were perfect but chit happens.

1)subbed a Batman #238 Boston; 9.2 lock, borderline 9.4. got a call from the man himself asking if i was sure it was a Boston as it was graded 7.5. somewhere along the line it got a huge corner crunch. i ate that loss.

2)subbed a Hellboy: Seed of Destruction #1 in 9.8 pre-screen, came back w/ big CB ding on spine. i had before pics, so i was compensated for that one.

2 out of maybe 500 subs. wish they were perfect but chit happens.

Noted and lesson learned. I will begin doing this for all future submissions. Haven't had a problem yet but never too late to CYA.

I've got 2 stories to share:

1) Many, many, many ears ago I submitted 3 DD #168s. I was expecting 9.4-9.6s across the board. They came back in the expected range, but one of the 9.6 copies had a very clean spine split about 1/4-1/3 the length of the book. It obviously wasn't there when I submitted the book, nor was it there when the book was graded. I spoke with a member of CGC about this just the other day actually and we still couldn't figure out where in the process this could have happened and how. CGC was cool and replaced my book with another CGC 9.6 copy so kudos! All I had to do was politely ask them to do so; I did not want credit. (thumbs u

2) The last time I submitted books I was disappointed that the ASM #238 came back a 7.0. I would not submit a copy of that unless I was certain of 9.4 at the least. I looked it over and there was a tear of significance in the middle of the BC. Now, it's quite possible that I overlooked it when I submitted the book-I am after all just human-yet I cannot believe I would missed such a glaring defect. In this case (pun intended) there is nothing I can do to "prove it" if the book was damaged by CGC because the grade reflects the defect, which means it was like that when graded as opposed to the situation above.

mess happens. Then you flush it.

My LCS owner had a bronze key come back with a 9.6 grade and a chunk out of one of the corners that was not there when submitted. It had to have been damaged while being slabbed. No way any grader would give it that grade with the chunk missing.

When you send a book to CGC, I believe they retain the original bag(mylar) and board you used on your submission throughout the whole process. For this reason, I always use an over sized bag and board = no tight fits where the book may catch a corner.

That's a very good idea. I have damaged books myself taking them out of Mylar sleeves, so I know how easily it can be done—I think most of us do.