• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you ever have a book you're certain was damaged during grading?

55 posts in this topic

Did you ever have a book that you are certain was damaged during grading? :mad:

In addition to myself closely examining this book before subbing it, I had an experienced facilitator who also very closely examined it at the time it was submitted to pre-screen it for 9.8 candidates. We both agreed it was a good 9.8 candidate with no obvious defects, so I submitted it right then and there through the facilitator.

I get it back with this newly-acquired obvious defect at the top back cover that I KNOW we both would not have missed in pre-examining it:

20160730_072517-1_zpspnupueit.jpg

:facepalm:

Not even pressable:

20160730_074737-1_zpszkdq1led.jpg

:facepalm::facepalm:

Your word against their's. Where's the proof!

I'm not taking anyone to court, I'm just asking if others have had this experience? If it were just me, I wouldn't be asking. But to have two folks, including a facilitator, very closely check it for pre-screen would decrease the odds of sending it in like that.

No, I wasn't in Sarasota taking pictures when the book was unpacked, received, checked, rebagged and sent through the grading process so there's no "proof" of anything and I'm not looking to "prove" anything anyway.

Just really bummed. :sorry:

Yes, CGC.

Yes, it has happened to me, probably to most of us. With all the handling, especially with pressing, it's inevitable. I think the biggest risk is with the encapsulation process. Twice I received a key book with a dark stain on the back, coffee, oil ? Since it didn't affect the grade, it must be post grading. The only time I ever complained was when I had a big cookie crumb, tight in the inner well. Anyway, chalk it up to stuff happens because it does.

Yes, it has happened to me, probably to most of us. With all the handling, especially with pressing, it's inevitable. I think the biggest risk is with the encapsulation process. Twice I received a key book with a dark stain on the back, coffee, oil ? Since it didn't affect the grade, it must be post grading. The only time I ever complained was when I had a big cookie crumb, tight in the inner well. Anyway, chalk it up to stuff happens because it does.

A cookie crumb :grin: .... sorry, I bet it wasn't funny when you got it though.

Yeah, I'm sure it does happen, just my first time with an obvious example.

Ever wonder what happens when the graders have to sneeze ? Just talking will often spray saliva. Ever consider how dusty shipping and receiving is ? Knowing some graders smoke, those same fingers touch your comics. It's a minefield out there ! lol.

C is for Cookie, and that's good enough for me.

lol You're a MONSTER!!

I have had many books which were damaged somewhere in the grading process. 100% certain of it. Not sure whether it was in the unpacking, or the prep process, or grading, but books which were pressed and end up with way too much ncb wear which was not even there before.

I just don't really think it is avoidable. The more people who handle the books, the bigger chance that the book will get some damage.

Yes.

I had a slam dunk 9.8 OO red cover warlock 2 that was submitted that came back 9.2 with a free right edge color breaking thumb crease. I'm not even sure it'd be a 9.2 based in how cgc graded the last few books of mine submitted. Still keep it as a reminder.

lol. Hear that 4-5 times daily. My 19 month old loves his cookie monster

This is why *every book* that is subbed should either be scanned (front/back covers) or have pics taken of the front/back covers, before they are subbed.

I learned this the hard way.

For my own sake I do that but accidentally deleted my full cover pics of this particular book.

But it wouldn't make one bit of difference anyway. (shrug)

Nothing I can do.

I've never been certain that one of my books has been damaged during grading because there is no possible way to be certain of such a thing, unless you were with the book the entire way...which I'm pretty sure is impossible.

This is why *every book* that is subbed should either be scanned (front/back covers) or have pics taken of the front/back covers, before they are subbed.

I learned this the hard way.

What good would that do?

You've taken the pics before they were packaged and delivered and unpacked and handled again. You've only proven the condition of the comic before the process.

The book may indeed become damaged at some point during the process, but how can you blame it specifically on the grader? Could be the post office. Could be the person at CGC unpacking your books. Could be your packing methods. Who knows?

I've never been certain that one of my books has been damaged during grading because there is no possible way to be certain of such a thing, unless you were with the book the entire way...which I'm pretty sure is impossible.

Well, that's kinda the point - for all the time it was with me, that defect wasn't there - even up until it was packaged and sent.

IMO, this particular defect at the center-top of the cover is clearly from handling the book itself outside of the bag (as opposed to a corner-dent from dropping the bagged-book or crease from rough handling while in bag). And I do know for a fact it wasn't there before it was sent off.

I really just wanted to share my misery about getting back this damaged book that "coulda' been a contender!" (: