• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best/accurate price guide avaiable...?!

27 posts in this topic

to everyone

what is for you the best price guide avaiable (either be in printed form or even a site on the net - let us put ebay outside this figure)?!

Overstreet?! Standard?! Wizard?! a few internet sites?!

and what are the ups and downs of your fav. guide?!

and why do some prices are so different from one guide to another?!

regards, Pedro.

For what? Raw books ro graded books?

Not that it matters because you never read responses to your posts anyway. sleeping.gif

I was thinking mostly raw...but if you (or anyone wants to put their 2 cents for the CGC too, why not?!).

you're wrong, i do read the big majority of my posts. wink.gifflowerred.gif

Allright then.

The Overstreet price guide is what most of the dealers use as a giude for their raw books. Regardless of the price differences most collectors should use this as well.

For slabbed books, GPAnalysis is the only resource that makes any sense. Knowing what books sell for in grade is extremely useful for both buyers and sellers.

Allright then.

The Overstreet price guide is what most of the dealers use as a giude for their raw books. Regardless of the price differences most collectors should use this as well.

For slabbed books, GPAnalysis is the only resource that makes any sense. Knowing what books sell for in grade is extremely useful for both buyers and sellers.

thanks

what is the "comics age", publisher and title (s) where Overstreet price guide is more acurated (near what people tend to pay)?!

Allright then.

thanks

what is the "comics age", publisher and title (s) where Overstreet price guide is more acurated (near what people tend to pay)?!

The biggest problem with OS is that by the time it is published it is outdated. So based upon that, most Modern comics would not be reflected in OS properly.

so the OST is a specific golden to bronze age guide, while wizard for ex:

might be more accurate on the monthly/hot comics daily selling?!

If you want the scoop on hot modern comics, just email Darthdiesel every day (or more even) he won''t mind and he is the modern-guru slash speculator flowerred.gif

so the OST is a specific golden to bronze age guide, while wizard for ex:

might be more accurate on the monthly/hot comics daily selling?!

If you want the scoop on hot modern comics, just email Darthdiesel every day (or more even) he won''t mind and he is the modern-guru slash speculator flowerred.gif

I was going to say that thumbsup2.gif

www.comicspriceguide.com thumbsup2.gif

best online site and good "guide" because even I have to agree some prices are on the high end of what the books are actually selling for.

i post over there occasionally....mostly just lurk.

how do they derive their 'guide' prices?

i'm thinking of shelling out for the annual subscription service to dbase my issues online...anybody else do that? if so, have there been disaster problems where your listings were lost?

thx.

best online site and good "guide" because even I have to agree some prices are on the high end of what the books are actually selling for.

i'm thinking of shelling out for the annual subscription service to dbase my issues online...anybody else do that? if so, have there been disaster problems where your listings were lost?

thx.

I put all of my collection up on CPG.com. Not sure what happens after a year though, cause it's too expensive.

As for their prices, they basically take the NM value, and then each grade is consistently a percentage of the NM value. For example, VF/NM (9.0) is always 95% of the 9.4 value. Probably not the most accurate way to do things.

For example, VF/NM (9.0) is always 95% of the 9.4 value. Probably not the most accurate way to do things.

Which is why I guess we don't do that cool.gif

Thanks for giving us a mention though.

Regards Earl.

For example, VF/NM (9.0) is always 95% of the 9.4 value. Probably not the most accurate way to do things.

Which is why I guess we don't do that cool.gif

Thanks for giving us a mention though.

Regards Earl.

Are you part of CPG? I've picked random books and calculated the percents and found they are always the same confused-smiley-013.gif

When they first started, CPG just copied Wizard's prices (no, I have no proof, but it was painfully obvious).

I was also wondering if they now have a network of dealers that report prices on a monthly (weekly) basis? Any dealers out there report prices to CPG??

Hi Hobgoblin. I do some part time work for CPG. I used to research and add missing data to the system. After two years they recently they let me loose on collating and inputting some price data into the system. Amazing Spider-man #17 is an example of one of mine. The process is to collate all available sales data and then select a base-pricing algorithm, which fills in the rest of the grades. If you were doing a Golden Age you would apply a very different algorithm than on a Modern Age title. Most moderns use the same algorithm. If you compare ASM #17 to say a Quasar #10 you should notice a difference. Whist using an a algorithm to fill in the blanks is far from ideal it means we can show prices for all 25 main grades for each title. With 317,000 issues listed and 25 grades priced per issue than means we display 8 million prices in the database. Obviously it would be inpossible to manually update all 8 million price points individually once a quarter.

Regards Earl.

Hi read_em. Thanks for the question. I can confirm we don’t copy Wizard. As CPG lists 317,000 different issues and Wizard lists about 10,000 different issues it would be difficult to copy them. We don’t have a network of dealers submitting sales data. CPG price data is derived from auction sales, online dealers catalogs, and our own CPG sales data. One feature of CPG is that you can see what members are trying to sell issues for right under the CPG valuations.

For example on X-Men #200 the CPG 9.4 Raw value is $10. 7 members are currently listing that issue for sale with asking prices ranging from $3.50 to $9.00.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.asp?comicTableID=93496

Regards Earl.