• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SYFY's VAN HELSING (9/23/16)

52 posts in this topic

First Trailer For SyFy's Van Helsing TV Series Released

0Keu8H2.jpg

SyFy has released the first Van Helsing trailer and promo. A commercial-free preview of the new vampire series will debut this Sunday, immediately after the Sharknado: The 4th Awakens telecast.

Van Helsing is a total re-imagination of a timeless brand, set in a world dominated and controlled by vampires. Vanessa Helsing is the last hope for survival, as she unknowingly awakens to discover she has a unique blood composition that makes her not only immune to vampires, but with the ability to turn a vampire human. With this secret weapon, Vanessa becomes a prime target for the vampires, while trying to save humanity.

The cast features Kelly Overton (“True Blood”), Jonathan Scarfe (“Hell on Wheels”), Christopher Heyerdahl (“Sanctuary,” “True Blood”), Paul Johansson (“One Tree Hill”), David Cubbit “(“Medium”), Vincent Gale (“Bates Motel”) and Tim Guinee (“Homeland”).

The 13-episode series will officially debut on Friday, September 23 at 10-11 p.m. ET on Syfy.

Why do I feel like I just watched a Wynnona Earp S2 promo?

Only you can answer that - to yourself, of course.

Talktoyourself.gif

Why do I feel like I have just been offhanded?

Because you look for something like that in a response?

(shrug)

You started off with 'Why do I feel like...' as if you were divided with yourself what you experienced.

But keep searching for that offhanded response.

You started off with 'Why do I feel like...' as if you were divided with yourself what you experienced.

But keep searching for that offhanded response.

But I am divided about what I just saw. It looked like Wynonna Earp. What can I say? But the writers calling her Vanessa...I mean, at least they modified Earp's first name from Wyatt to Wynonna. Here they don't seem aware that Van Helsing is a last name and Abraham is his first name. Abarrane Van Helsing would have made more sense.

Edited by ThatPovGuy

That is going to be the challenge with anything even remotely resembling a story about a girl taking on the mantle of a legendary character. And to put it out this soon behind Wynonna Earp, even more the natural comparison.

That is going to be the challenge with anything even remotely resembling a story about a girl taking on the mantle of a legendary character. And to put it out this soon behind Wynonna Earp, even more the natural comparison.

But you know what? Despite all that I plan on watching it!!! lol

VAN HELSING Premiere Episodes Review: A New Kind of Vampire Slayer

Following the descendant of classic literary and film vampire hunter Abraham Van Helsing, Syfy’s new drama kicks off in a near distant future where vampires have overridden the world, forcing humankind to wait on a savior who would defeat the monsters. Enter Vanessa Helsing (Kelly Overton), who awakes in a room of a deserted hospital while the marine that had been guarding her, Axel (Jonathan Scarfe), and a band of survivors fight off a group of vampires.

Based on the Van Helsing comic book series published by Zenescope Entertainment and developed for TV by Neil LaBute (Hell on Wheels), Syfy’s new show debuted with a double premiere. In ‘Help Me’ – written by LaBute and directed by Michael Nankin – Axel takes in a group of survivors while Vanessa wakes up and begins to learn of certain powers she possesses that will help her fight vampires. Then in the second half of the premiere, ‘Seen You’ – written by Simon Barry and directed by Nankin – the show flashes back to the events that found Vanessa, Axel, and Doc (Rukiya Bernard) stranded in the hospital.

The first two episodes of Van Helsing are effective in establishing the show’s particular lore of its vampires and the apocalypse that has befallen the world. Through a prologue at the beginning of ‘Help Me’ and exposition courtesy of the characters as they join Axel in the hospital, viewers learn that vampires have overrun the human population and civilization has fallen – leaving many to act in desperation in order to survive. Though that was likely enough back story, ‘Seen You’ is an entire episode taking place before the events of ‘Help Me’ following first Vanessa, then Doc, then Axel through the end of the world.

All in all, Van Helsing will certainly appeal to fans of Syfy series like Z Nation and Wynnona Earp, though it remains to be seen if the network’s vampire drama will be able to strike a chord among viewers as its other series have. All the pieces may be in place for Van Helsing to be an entertaining addition to the lineup, but the show’s success will largely depend on the dynamic between its main characters. While ‘Help Me’ and ‘Seen You’ certainly hinted at what fans can expect from the ensemble in season 1, Van Helsing largely used its first two episodes to set up the series.

As a result, Van Helsing hasn’t yet shown viewers exactly what the series is capable of, since the characters and the narrative have been restricted by offering exposition in order to build the show’s world and establish its unique vampire lore. So, while Van Helsing has the potential to be another hit for Syfy, viewers won’t know exactly until the series settles into itself – which it hopefully will in upcoming episodes.

I had a chance to watch the premiere episode. Not bad!

It is a world where I guess vampires have taken over the the cities, forcing humans to hide out in basements and secured bunkers. Kind of like an 'I Am Legend' approach - though I can't tell yet if that means humans can scavenge during the day while vampires sleep or not.

Like the review article noted, Vanessa Helsing has powers that she doesn't understand yet. But then again, she just comes out of a coma and finds herself in one of these bunkers in the first episode. So she doesn't even know where she is at. But her blood has an effect on the vampires, which you find out about within the premiere.

Episode 2 is already available. I'll be giving it a try later this week.

SYFY has already released up to Episode 3.

It is definitely a dark world Kelly Overton as Vanessa Van Helsing survives to find her daughter. There is definitely no comparison to Wynonna Earp. Van Helsing is a much more hardcore horror show.

I agree no relationship to Wynonna once you get past the promos and into the series. I am watching it but a bit disappointed. The writers seem to have mixed up the lore of zombies with the lore of vampires. It feels a lot like Zombie Apocalypse from 2011 with Vinge Rhames. I will continue to watch and hope it gets creatively better. There ARE a few places that are clever. Time will tell.

Edited by ThatPovGuy

I agree no relationship to Wynonna once you get past the promos and into the series. I am watching it but a bit disappointed. The writers seem to have mixed up the lore of zombies with the lore of vampires. It feels a lot like Zombie Apocalypse from 2011 with Vinge Rhames. I will continue to watch and hope it gets creatively better. There ARE a few places that are clever. Time will tell.

Oh, I agree with you. This show could go off the rails real quick, depending on if they the showrunners don't take this down a better path rather quickly now that intros are out of the way.

But the premise is semi-different, and the early character introductions are pretty decent. Especially...

...vampires that drink Vanessa's blood and turn back remembering all their actions previously.

:eek:

Bosco, my good friend. It seems we are indeed in accord. Your spoiler tagged point was also something I felt was a pretty cool direction the writers DID take. A twist that offers some intriguing possibilities.

I was so happy to see Doc had been brought back. Very nicely done.

That was fast.

Van Helsing Renewed For Season 2

With seven episodes still remaining in its freshman season, Syfy has chosen to renew Van Helsing, which is inspired by Zenescope Entertainment's graphic novel series Helsing, for a second season. And like this current season, Season 2 will feature 13-episodes.

“We have a wonderful and terrifying road ahead planned for Vanessa, her allies and her enemies,” Van Helsing writer/showrunner Neil LaBute said (via Deadline). “I think this is a world and a story that can be sustained for many years and I am inspired to do so thanks to Syfy’s obvious trust and commitment in the storytellers, cast and crew.”

Episode 6 had a few stories taking place parallel to one another. But each had its own standalone purpose and direction.

Axel killing all those people at the hospital because the deaf man told them all he read the other party's lips, and they were going to kill everyone. Yet the other group leader, Brendan, said they were just trying to determine who the murder was from Axel's group.

I just hope they collapse some of these stories together as at times it does get a little confusing why the show is going in a few directions.