• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing bleed through and whiteout ?

7 posts in this topic

I just picked up a pencil piece with slight bleed through ( yellowing in the white space on my page ) and a small amount of whiteout.

I am a little bummed to see both issues on the page, and am looking for any suggestions on addressing these issues. (Understanding that removal of the whiteout may reveal stuff the artist intended to hide)

Thanks in advance

I figure whiteout, though often used to hide mistakes/imperfections, is part of the finished artwork and I wouldn't remove it (but yeah, a page without any whiteout - for this reason -is awesome).

I'm not clear on the bleed through you mentioned, is it some sort of transfer or production stain, or is it marker bleed, or yellowing from exposure to light?

A picture or scan would help. :)

I was wondering how a pencil piece can have bleed.

You can get a restorer to get rid of the bleed, there are a few threads, it will be at least a couple of hundred though so if it is not an expensive piece it might not be worth it.

Malvin

My standard restorer information:

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

• Robert Dennis

[*]Gordon Christman

• ggc2k@hotmail.com
    • Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
      GORDON G. CHRISTMAN
      RESTORATION & CONSERVATION
      330 SOUTH HORNE STREET #L
      OCEANSIDE CA 92054
      TEL: 760 439 7970
      CEL: 760 458 2290

[*]Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

trace@eclipsepaper.com

http://www.eclipsepaper.com

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.