• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #120 opinions.....

21 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I've participated here, and I've got a lot of raw bronze kicking around that I haven't really evaluated.

No defects on the BC, and nothing on the front that can't be seen. Keep in mind that massive scans tend to amplify whatever defects are present.

ASM120.jpg

A small color flake towards the bottom of the right edge, some small spine ticks, looks like s small staple tear on the bottom of the upper staple.

9.2 would be my guess

I dont see it Nik.

I can see 8.0. I would be hard pressed to call it an 8.5

Large scans or not..that spine is ruff.

That spine has too many small breaks/nicks, many of them deep. Add to that the outer edge color loss.. no way a 9.2

Ze-

can see 8.0. I would be hard pressed to call it an 8.5

If you held this book in hand, I GUARANTEE that 8.0 wouldn't cross your mind.

This goes to show what a massive, straight foreward scan(no manipulation of contrast, brightness, etc.....) does to a book. I think we're all used to looking at B.S, low res, juiced up scans. The funny thing is, I'm shocked at the outcome whenever I first look at the pic of a book I just scanned, because the book always comes out looking worse than it is. I have a couple of books I cracked out of slabs, so ir would be interesting to see how you guys grade those.

For the record, I don't disagree with your 8.0/8.5 on the Surfer, or your 9.2 on the Tec, but 8.0 on this book is out there. It's much nicer than the Surfer.

a nice 9.0... congrats wink.gif

Thanks......too bad I bought it as a higher grade. foreheadslap.gif

Here's how you would see it on Ebay(if you were lucky!), listed as a NM 9.4....

ASM120a.jpg

I think I would use this scan to sell on Ebay, but list it as a VF/NM(which I think it is). Otherwise, I'd turn people off of a book that's actually very sharp in hand.

I defer to your judgement... hearing your testimony about it viewing better in person goes along way.

I know what you mean not only about large scan making flaws jump out at you.But how the flaws can be made to look worse when scanned.

But with the soft corners.. color loss on the outer edge.. and the multiple spine breaks/tiks

I still cannot see it grading out past 9.0

Not to say the book does not look fantastic. But I am a spine freak.. so perhaps I punished the book harshly due to my personal grading tastes. Add to that the fact it is a 20 center.. if it was a , 10, 12 center I probably would be more forgiving.

Sorry to hear you bought at an even higher listed grade. flowerred.gif

Ze-

But I am a spine freak..

Me too......which is why these scans make me ill. 27_laughing.gif

can see 8.0. I would be hard pressed to call it an 8.5

If you held this book in hand, I GUARANTEE that 8.0 wouldn't cross your mind.

This goes to show what a massive, straight foreward scan(no manipulation of contrast, brightness, etc.....) does to a book. I think we're all used to looking at B.S, low res, juiced up scans. The funny thing is, I'm shocked at the outcome whenever I first look at the pic of a book I just scanned, because the book always comes out looking worse than it is. I have a couple of books I cracked out of slabs, so ir would be interesting to see how you guys grade those.

For the record, I don't disagree with your 8.0/8.5 on the Surfer, or your 9.2 on the Tec, but 8.0 on this book is out there. It's much nicer than the Surfer.

Have you ever seen them grade my books?!? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

8.5 max - those creases are creases confused-smiley-013.gif What can I say confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gifI don't think your scans are any different than most of the regular posters here . . . hi.gif

Now that FF #112 of yours 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif Nice sale btw!

Ok....I was expecting to hear 8.5 or 9.0 anyway. But I don't think that everyone here posts a "straight up" scan, either because they play with the contrast/color, or because they aren't as big.

Ok....I was expecting to hear 8.5 or 9.0 anyway. But I don't think that everyone here posts a "straight up" scan, either because they play with the contrast/color, or because they aren't as big.

Well, I agree - there are those who post honest scans, those that don't, and those that don't know how 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

When looking at the Ebay can I would say no way to the 9.4 either. That bottom left corner looks like it has problems and you can see the spine wear even though the scan is no tas good as you original. What is NOT evident is the gloss (what ya think DAvid 12 points of gloss 27_laughing.gif) and the inks / refectivity. Looks like this one could have original gloss and refect. which I assume is what you mean by looking better in person.

Still with that spine wear and BLC I stand on 9.0 - but a 9.0 that presents far better than its grade indicates.

8.5 max - those creases are creases confused-smiley-013.gif What can I say confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gifI don't think your scans are any different than most of the regular posters here . . . hi.gif

Now that FF #112 of yours 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif Nice sale btw!

yeh - i think 8.5 might be about right. the thing about those creases is that CGC just hammers books for them and there appear to be more than a few on the spine. i'm sure the book looks great, but when held up and viewed from an extreme angle, i'll bet that those deep creases kinda jump out at ya.

possibly a great pressing candidate if the book looks so otherwise beautiful.... devil.gif