• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Super Magician v4 #5

9 posts in this topic

So, I'm really lucky to actually have two of these beauties. They both have their warts though, so I'm trying to figure out which one I should keep. I'd really appreciate some opinions on both.

The first one has a detached cover, so I'm assuming will grade rather low. Got a small 1/8" tear top corner, a 1" tear bottom back cover, and a small 1/8 tear back cover lower left. Also some store stamps in odd places throughout book. Colors are great, and contents in great shape (OW). Grade?

Scan_20160805%205_zps8ti5gslp.png

Scan_20160805%206_zpsontjhuvs.png

Second one is technically a strong book. Staple tight, corners very sharp, and colors as nice as the first. Easily a high grade book if it weren't for the foxing along the top of the FC (bleeds through to back of FC). BC also has a little foxing across the top, and one internal page has a 2" rip. Pages are a little more Cream, and most likely described as slight tanning. Simply a technically superior book, but not cared for in a cool, dry environment. Grade? (disclosure...sold to me as a 6.5)

SuperMagicianVol45_6.5_zpso3ky3wlw.png

Super_Magician_v4_5_bc_zps2tubgjzb.jpg

If you could only keep one, which would you keep?

If it were me, I'd keep the book that doesn't have the detached staple. That defect alone is a I don't want a book like that in my collection kind of defect. But, just my opinion.

I'd grade the 1st one at 4.5 IF there wasn't a detached staple. I have no idea how the staple would effect the final grade though....maybe 3.0 or 3.5? I'm okay with 6.5 on the second one. (accounting for the Golden Age curve on both)

Thanks for the feedback. I actually ended up selling the first (detached cover) and will hold the nicer one until I can find a better copy. I don't like the foxing and cream pages, but structurally it's in nice shape. Fun to flip through!