• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Rarities and some BA First Appearances

26 posts in this topic

Happy Saturday! I'm celebrating the fact that I finally scanned and loaded all my GA/SA books into CollectorZ. Now I finally get to figure out what the heck I own! Ha ha. In that vein, I found a few that, while I really love them, they're either duplicates or don't fit in my current focus.

I will consider reasonable offers on all items BUT an unconditional :takeit: in the thread or by PM trumps. Competing claims will be decided by time stamp. I may not be quick responding to a PM since I have a few family commitments today.

Payment via Paypal preferred

Priority Shipping to the US: $8.00. International actual cost for USPS Priority

Though I'm not a routine seller, I have sold many books here in the past including a 5 figure book. Kudos are here: CrocHntr Feedback

If for any reason a buyer is unhappy with their purchase I will give a full refund upon notification within 30 days of receiving the item(s) and upon the safe return of the item(s).

Sorry, no time payments offered. Thanks for checking out my books! I'm pretty firm on prices, though certainly accept offers.

Captain Marvel Thrill Book #1 - CGC 3.5 - 1941

How about this for a scarce book?! Only five on the census, and only one higher graded is a 4.0. I think this book looks great for a 3.5. It has a cool cover, the colors really pop, and it displays nicely. The 1/2 inch spine split top left and about 1 inch spine split lower right keep the technical grade down, but it's a pleasure to look at. This is an oversized book, so fits in a magazine style case.

Scanner was too narrow, so I took four pics to make sure you can see all corners and sides. Last GPA was $649 for a 3.5 (and I paid much more than that for this one :( )

$SOLD

Scan_20160805_zpsug1ph1cn.png

Scan_20160805%202_zpsyatxy3dp.png

Scan_20160805%203_zpsfll1bxeh.png

Scan_20160805%204_zpstz9gjrqo.png

Super Magician v4 #5

I loved the cover on this one so much, I ended up purchasing two of this hard to find issue. A simply classic cover with colors that pop. Alas, the cover is detached from the single staple. There is a a small 1/8" tear top corner, a 1" tear bottom back cover, and a small 1/8" tear back cover lower left. Also has a store stamp used randomly throughout the book.

Probably a 4.5 if not for the detached cover. With it, I'd call it a 3.0/3.5

$SOLD

Scan_20160805%205_zps8ti5gslp.png

Scan_20160805%206_zpsontjhuvs.png

War Comics #3 7.0 (Dell) - Highest Graded copy of a 1941 War book (1st series dedicated to War stories). WHITE pages makes this the nicest copy graded (I'm keeping the other 7.0 which is a file copy, but mine is cream to ow). You'd never guess, but there's a nice little sci-fi space alien story with robots inside (Greg Gilday with super-powers fights invading martians).

This one is even sealed with a kiss (see top back cover). Otherwise, I imagine it would have graded much higher.

$SOLD

War_Comics_3B_Front_zpsywc5ngtz.jpg

War_Comics_3B_Back_zpsn1f7illx.jpg

War Stories (Comics) #8 - This is just a gorgeous Grey tone cover and the last issue of the 8 issue series and includes a Night Devils appearance.

I purchased from Metro as a 5.0, but I'm going to be conservative and say 4.5. Some color breaking creases. General wear. The staples are recessed some (a common issue with this title due to the thickness of the book), but all pages and cover are firmly attached.

$80

War_Stories_8_Metro_Copy_zpszr1wkwbl.jpg

War_Stories_8_Metro_Copy_Back_zpsxqx67hie.jpg

War Heroes #9 - 1944 Dell

Here's a really cool painted cover War book with a flamethrower. While not as hard to find as the War Comics / War Stories run, it is rather difficult in higher grades. I'd call this one a VF- (7.5). Pages are cream. A few color breaking spine ticks. Top left corner has about 1/4" tear. Also, almost unnoticeable crease just above the soldier's leg down to the bottom (only color-breaking in a few spots). A really nice book.

$80

Scan_20160305_zpsbfsbl03n.jpg

Scan_20160305%203_zpszvmi80dd.jpg

Let's try a Bronze goodie out.

Captain Britain #1 - 1st Appearance - 1976

This is a tough book to find, especially with the free mask (included). It would get a blue label if submitted to CGC. This is a really nice looking copy with nice corners and good color. Easily a 9.6/9.4, but I can't decide how the back cover impacts the book. If you look at the back, there are a couple of printer fold lines in the paper that run down the book. This was a manufacturing defect. The lines are smooth and there's no damage other than the fact that no ink printed in the fold so it looks streaky. I think this is very typical with the Marvel UK books like this due to the type of paper used.

Still it's a hard to find beauty. Let's call it an 8.5 and let me know if you think I'm crazy.

$SOLD

CaptainBritain_Raw_Front_zpsnqgtqkvs.jpg

CB1_Back_zpse1asxp0k.jpg

Last one for now. I need some coffee!

Justice League of America #64 - 1st appearance of Red Tornado (Silver Age)

This one's been a rather hot book of late. Purchased on the boards as an 8.5, and that seems to be right or even a bit conservative.

$110

Scan_20160805%207_zpsvgsh1xvr.png

This is a tough book to find, especially with the free mask (included). It would get a blue label if submitted to CGC. This is a really nice looking copy with nice corners and good color. Easily a 9.6/9.4, but I can't decide how the back cover impacts the book. If you look at the back, there are a couple of printer fold lines in the paper that run down the book. This was a manufacturing defect. The lines are smooth and there's no damage other than the fact that no ink printed in the fold so it looks streaky. I think this is very typical with the Marvel UK books like this due to the type of paper used.

Still it's a hard to find beauty. Let's call it an 8.5 and let me know if you think I'm crazy.

$140

CB1_Back_zpse1asxp0k.jpg

Take it

War Comics #3 7.0 (Dell) - Highest Graded copy of a 1941 War book (1st series dedicated to War stories). WHITE pages makes this the nicest copy graded (I'm keeping the other 7.0 which is a file copy, but mine is cream to ow). You'd never guess, but there's a nice little sci-fi space alien story with robots inside (Greg Gilday with super-powers fights invading martians).

This one is even sealed with a kiss (see top back cover). Otherwise, I imagine it would have graded much higher.

$275

love it, :takeit:

Captain Marvel Thrill Book #1 - CGC 3.5 - 1941

How about this for a scarce book?! Only five on the census, and only one higher graded is a 4.0. I think this book looks great for a 3.5. It has a cool cover, the colors really pop, and it displays nicely. The 1/2 inch spine split top left and about 1 inch spine split lower right keep the technical grade down, but it's a pleasure to look at. This is an oversized book, so fits in a magazine style case.

Scanner was too narrow, so I took four pics to make sure you can see all corners and sides. Last GPA was $649 for a 3.5 (and I paid much more than that for this one :( )

$550

Scan_20160805_zpsug1ph1cn.png

Scan_20160805%202_zpsyatxy3dp.png

Scan_20160805%203_zpsfll1bxeh.png

Scan_20160805%204_zpstz9gjrqo.png

SOLD VIA PM! I'll miss this one.

$140

CB1_Back_zpse1asxp0k.jpg

Take it

^^ Thanks so much. I think this is a book that doesn't get enough respect. Who knows if the rumored Captain Britain UK TV series ever comes to fruition, but I've always liked the character, and especially like that it's hard to find for a Bronze Age book (with mask).

$275

^^ Thanks so much! I have a special fondness to the War Comics / War Stories run, especially with the historical aspect (series was first dedicated war comic) and the fact that it even pre-dates US involvement in WWII. #3 has some cool war stories including the Battle of Soumussalmi (Finland), but it also has this cool sci-fi / gga type story. Here's a page image off of comicbookplus (not my copy because the pages are whiter on the one in this thread :) ):

Greg_Gilday_zpszzah8qmh.jpg

Okay, last book and I'm done. I can't handle large sales threads (plus it would depress me) :) .

Ideal Comics #4 (Timely 1949) - This should grade out highest on census if submitted. Structurally sound book with tight staples. Minor flaws include tiny chip out of back right bottom cover and even smaller chip top right back cover. There's also a 1" crease back cover bottom left. It's not a tear and not visible on the inside. Just a crease.

I would grade it 7.5 which is the grade Dale Roberts assigned when I purchased it a few years ago. Therefore, I'll sell it for same price:

$SOLD

Ideal%20Comics%204_zpsu5kf3gg8.jpg

Scan_20160806%202_zpsvdm7wcvo.png

Okay, last book and I'm done. I can't handle large sales threads (plus it would depress me) :) .

Ideal Comics #4 (Timely 1949) - This should grade out highest on census if submitted. Structurally sound book with tight staples. Minor flaws include tiny chip out of back right bottom cover and even smaller chip top right back cover. There's also a 1" crease back cover bottom left. It's not a tear and not visible on the inside. Just a crease.

I would grade it 7.5 which is the grade Dale Roberts assigned when I purchased it a few years ago. Therefore, I'll sell it for same price:

$150

:takeit:

$150

^^ . Thanks! I really appreciate it. It's a very cool book.

$150

^^ . Thanks! I really appreciate it. It's a very cool book.

Yes it is......you had me at Timely lol....I dont collect these but Ill read it then get her graded. She will look gorgeous in a plastic clear dress hahaha. Thank you sir.

$SOLD

very cool!

Love the War Comics, I have an issue. :)

Are the Jinxes still there in issue 8?

No Jinxes in issue 8. I want to say that stopped around 5 or 6. Which issue do you have? My favorite is #4, though #2 is a close second :cloud9: