• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

...trash or bargain bin heaven ?

I'm purging stuff that I'm not likely to pick back up and read again and I'm coming across many series that were fun or had great art. These books all had potential to be something more than they ended up being for various reasons. The first on this list is...

Helheim. Written by Cullen Bunn would be enough for a lot of people but the art by Joelle Jones really makes the book stand out. Just checked on ebay and it seems that $10 is bout what it takes to buy a set of issues #1 - #6, first prints. If you haven't read it, thats a bargain. If you have, how surprised are you ? There was a time that #1 alone brought $15 plus in NM. Low initial sales doomed the book early on. No matter how good a story is, sales keep them out in front of the public.

I'll be back with more but please add yours if you get 'em (thumbs u

Next up...

Uber - This book has a lot going for it., not the least of which would be Kieron Gillen writing and Canaan White on art duty. Throw in a war story that is truly unique among any others before and originally short printed, high demand comics. Reprints doused the fire that was Uber. the first prints for issue #0 were truly hard to find at roughly 1500 copies of so each. These kinds of numbers usually drive a hot book into the $100s range but Avatar kept putting out new covers without acknowledging that the later books were 2nd, 3rd, and so on printings. This caused a backlash for a book that was better than most books written in the last decade.

Issue #0, a book that at one time topped $30 can now be had for cover or less. Odd considering that it really doesn't matter if Avatar put 2nd printing on the later books, we still know, right ? lol

i'm not giving up on Uber yet....these however i should be able to dump and not look back

No Place Like Home

Hell Yeah

Mind the Gap

Bedlam

Chin Music

Bounce

Dancer

I liked Mind the Gap. Some of those books on that list were one and done for me.

Next we have...

The Bunker - what can you say about a really cool premise that was executed about as well as a comic book can be ? Well, for some reason, people quit reading it because sales were really poor relative to the quality of the book. To me, this is probably the best story so far that is on this list. I could give you a review but this is easier...

The Bunker reviews

While originally a spec darling with one cover of #1 selling for $15 and the other sold in the $20 range. Most recently, a CGC 9.8 blue sold for $11 while a CGC SS yellow sold for $20 on ebay. While these sold in CGC 9.8 for around $40 in June, even that seems nuts to me. :screwy:

This is the 2nd Oni book on the list...there will be more...

...and...

Letter 44 - Charles Soule at his very very best. Issue #1 was only $1. A great way to get people to try your book. The series has been outstanding. I bought this as a spec book and fell in love with it. While the art took a minute to get used to ( the faces are VERY stylized ) , the writing was perfect from the 1st issue. Once you read the letter, you'll be hooked. There was an SDCC issue (500 copies) that at one time brought $30 plus per copy.

Keep your eyes open for the #1 2nd print. The #7 with the Joelle Jones cover rocks. I'd suggest buying any of her small print run stuff. She is remarkably talented.

Super buy right now. A Phantom #1 recently brought $13. A CGC 9.8, just over $20. A set of 1-20 ? Only $10 or 50 cents each. If anyone else decides to sell runs at 50 cents each, please contact me so you don't have ebay fees too. Same for most of the books on this list. :grin:

Next we have...

The Bunker - what can you say about a really cool premise that was executed about as well as a comic book can be ? Well, for some reason, people quit reading it because sales were really poor relative to the quality of the book. To me, this is probably the best story so far that is on this list. I could give you a review but this is easier...

The Bunker reviews

While originally a spec darling with one cover of #1 selling for $15 and the other sold in the $20 range. Most recently, a CGC 9.8 blue sold for $11 while a CGC SS yellow sold for $20 on ebay. While these sold in CGC 9.8 for around $40 in June, even that seems nuts to me. :screwy:

This is the 2nd Oni book on the list...there will be more...

I'm still buying The Bunker and haven't missed an issue. Yes, I'm the one

I'll throw in some books which are done and pretty much dead on the secondary market but were series which I really enjoyed and still take out to re-read now and then:

Clone

Sheltered

Happy

Ten Grand

Harvest

Bedlam (Rossmo 1st arc)

...trash or bargain bin heaven ?

I'm purging stuff that I'm not likely to pick back up and read again and I'm coming across many series that were fun or had great art. These books all had potential to be something more than they ended up being for various reasons. The first on this list is...

Helheim. Written by Cullen Bunn would be enough for a lot of people but the art by Joelle Jones really makes the book stand out. Just checked on ebay and it seems that $10 is bout what it takes to buy a set of issues #1 - #6, first prints. If you haven't read it, thats a bargain. If you have, how surprised are you ? There was a time that #1 alone brought $15 plus in NM. Low initial sales doomed the book early on. No matter how good a story is, sales keep them out in front of the public.

I'll be back with more but please add yours if you get 'em (thumbs u

I remember Helheim sketch was commanding $100+ at one point.

What about the 6th Gun and Peter panzerfaust? Is there a demand for those books at all? People were paying insane prices for those .

I suppose the question to ask is, "Were these really good books in their own right, or did they just get caught up in the hysteria that is fandom?" :grin:

What about the 6th Gun and Peter panzerfaust? Is there a demand for those books at all? People were paying insane prices for those .

I suppose the question to ask is, "Were these really good books in their own right, or did they just get caught up in the hysteria that is fandom?" :grin:

Sixth gun IS that good !!

If so, you should take any opportunity to buy them when someone is offloading them. ;)

If so, you should take any opportunity to buy them when someone is offloading them. ;)

I have plenty. I hope if reading comics ever becomes a thing again, this book is rediscovered.

That's what I've done with many titles. Quality wasn't the problem with most of these books though prices rose too quickly. Unless you're wealthy and had an immense amount of spare time or own a comic shop, it would be nearly impossible to buy every book worth reading. The publishers are trying to get every dollar they can on new stuff which is their business. Its leaving less money in the secondary market. If it weren't for Marvel and DC taking the best talent, I think you'd have even better indie books.

My personal favorite from this list is Letter 44. I am a couple of stories behind now, but man that's the best first issue of any book I have read in a long time.

Mine too.

i think that one is still slated for TV