• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

..and another would be...

Black Science - This is a wild sci fi book that travels through dimensions ? An onion ? Everything except time. The concept is fantastic. They must keep moving to find their way back and every move they make is a trip to somewhere just as dangerous, if not more, than the place they just left. Add that to the fact that they can't control where the main group of characters will end up and you have yourself a very fine book with excellent art. The covers are even better than the interiors.

This series was selling for over $40 a set for #1 - #5 and #2B was fetching over $20 by itself at one point due to perceived rarity or real rarity. Its impossible to know. I'm behind on this series but like many in this thread, waiting to catch up appears to have been the right call.

This book is fantastic. Though I loved it at the beginning, it did feel semi-formulaic each arc. But the last few have been solid. Last issue was so fun. Looking forward to the next issue.

If you loved Fear Agent, this is the closest to that we're going to get unless they relaunch (which I did chat about that with one of the creators and they may).

Patrick

Next we have...

The Wicked + The Divine. This book started with very little fanfare. Quite the feat when you consider that it was an Image book with Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie on the case. Gods as pop stars ? How did this book not go thermonuclear ? Who knows, but it didn't take long before collectors and readers alike to take notice. The book has had its ups and downs as a speculative book but it has been consistently good read. Check for yourself.

TW+TD reviews

This could be one of Image's early 21st century Top 10. Time will tell...

..and another would be...

Black Science - This is a wild sci fi book that travels through dimensions ? An onion ? Everything except time. The concept is fantastic. They must keep moving to find their way back and every move they make is a trip to somewhere just as dangerous, if not more, than the place they just left. Add that to the fact that they can't control where the main group of characters will end up and you have yourself a very fine book with excellent art. The covers are even better than the interiors.

This series was selling for over $40 a set for #1 - #5 and #2B was fetching over $20 by itself at one point due to perceived rarity or real rarity. Its impossible to know. I'm behind on this series but like many in this thread, waiting to catch up appears to have been the right call.

This book is fantastic. Though I loved it at the beginning, it did feel semi-formulaic each arc. But the last few have been solid. Last issue was so fun. Looking forward to the next issue.

If you loved Fear Agent, this is the closest to that we're going to get unless they relaunch (which I did chat about that with one of the creators and they may).

Patrick

Fear Agent is wonderful. 'nuff said ! :grin:

Ninth Wave has to be go on the list.

One of my all-time favs.

#1 was a couple dollars for about a month.

I'd buy early issues for cheap if I found them.

The newer series is even better. But I haven't seen an issue for quite some months.

Patrick

How about a little...

East of West - Yes, I know I bring it up way too much but there was a time when the delays were less frequent when East of West was the 3rd best selling Image title. Mix that with a great selling issue #1, a formidable entry from Forbidden Planet, and the RRP second only to Saga (at least from Image) and you Hickman, Dragotta, and Martin had quite an initial explosion on the spec market.

While many truly love the story, character development and the world building was too slow for some. Others stated that it was too complex of a read but the things that truly slowed the EoW train were delays. Earlier we mentioned the overwhelming amount of material put out by the competition. EoW certainly experienced the negative result of being out of sight, out of mind.

The story itself is incredible. Hickman sees things with the same vast scope as Warren Ellis and Mark Millar. Dragotta art tells a story without the words. The characters are vividly presented and they seem to be deep and well thought out. Not caricatures of characters from the past. The world itself is vast and the the Star Wars universe, not simply limited to one dimension. I could go on but I'll spare you.

If you liked the book through the 1st 10 or so issues, all I can say is that by ussue #15, it goes to a higher level of storytelling.

EoW reviews

Based on quantity of positive titles, I'd rank Remender #1 currently.

Vaughan's a damn close two. Can't believe how well Paper Girls turned out to be.

Patrick

Yes. Those 2 deserve the credit and then some. I'd throw Hickman in there but he isn't as prolific as the the other 2, at least on indies.

Descender needs to be here too. No one talks about it on the boards anymore, but it was on fire out of the gate.

This is a very good example of what some people are missing by cover collecting only. That isn't a knock on cover collecting just an invitation for some to take a look on the inside of the book. In fact, you really can't go wrong inside or out with this title. The outsides are great too. lol

Descender reviews

Not sure what it is about Descender.

I keep wanting to drop it, but it's better much better the last couple issues.

I honestly think it's the all white cover and interiors that make it almost drab.

Maybe it's white because it's all a dream.

Patrick

the-cape-1_zpshvpyvgub.jpg

Joe Hill's The Cape is a series that doesn't get the love that it should. It has solid writing and great art. Check it out if you haven't already.

Never read this but the art looks fantastic and this Joe Hill guy ? Probably a solid bet. lol

Joe hill is awesome. Locke and Key is one of my favorite moderns