• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoring A Restored Book Back To A Blue Label?

46 posts in this topic

Un-restoring is restoration,

There. I said it

I cannot understand for the life of me why someone would Have color touch scraped away so a comic looks like a cat played with it.

I will not buy a mutilated unrestored book if I can ascertain that restoration was removed. :sumo:

I can see very minor being removed as noted but its still a restored and "un-restored" - restored book.

Absolutely agree. The fact that a book that is damaged further can sell for more is a bit of an indictment on our hobby IMHO.

Agreed 100%.

Absolutely no surprise to me as I have stated from my first day on the boards here that this would be one of the unfortunate unintended consequences when CGC decided to implement the PLOD label to designate all of the restored books. What was intended only to help collectors to more easily differentiate between restored books from unrestored books, was instead seized by the marketplace to stigmatize all restored books, irrespective of the type or extent of the restoration work done on the book.

So, instead of looking at the finer details of the restoration work, it was a lot easier to simply look at the color of the label, and as long as it was purple, they were all tossed into the same dung pile. A 180 degree turnaround from the really old days where restoration was considered to be adding value to a book, similar to pressing of today, to a mindset where a now ugly newly damaged/mutilated unrestored (or twice restored) book is worth more than a beautifully slightly or moderately restored book. :screwy:

It now looks as though the smart buyers were the ones who understood the paranoia that was taking place in the marketplace and snapped up the slightly restored books at dirt cheap bargain basement prices back then, realizing the day would come when money could be made from these books. hm

And then here is an example of when CT removal has gone too far "cat scratch fever" on this one. I think it was a 6.0 purple when I bought it, and I was hoping to get a 4.0 minimum on it, but you see what happened. I really wish I had left it alone.

get-attachment-24aspx_zpsd4fdc6c2.jpeg

That must have been an extremely loose grading period for CGC as I don't see how this AF 15 with that amount of damage done to it can actually grade out as high as a G/VG 3.0 condition graded book.

Especially in comparison to the 3.0 graded copy of FF 1 which seem to have a lot less damage done to it through the un-restoration process. (shrug)

When I bought the Af 15 3.0 (it was a 6.0 purple) it had already had had some CT removed. The label said "very small amount of CT" so Matt thought he could just remove a teeny bit more and get the blue. It came back as a 4.0 purple (cgc still saw some CT). Matt conferred with them to find the exact location of the remaining CT and I told him to go ahead and take it off. I thought I'd retain a 4.0 or atleast a 3.5, but it went down to 3.0 Blue.

Are you inferring that Matt is not as good at identifying color touch as the previous group of graders at CGC? (shrug)

This would not be a good sign since I believe that Matt is now supposed to be the head or primary grader at CGC after his transfer over from CCS. hm

The first book shows an All Flash 25 from the Van Buren collection purchased off EBay. Some yahoo had erased the arrival date and color touched it which always bugged me. I was interested in having it removed and had Matt do so and then had it graded as shown in the second picture. It might have been better to leave it alone as I don't think the removal improved it any but it didn't hurt it either and it has the blue label even if the grade is probably a little lower.

163886.jpg.9fa2a6d5771834dc38ac26bfdeea7e6c.jpg

163887.jpg.a11902c66a054b90c50e47d43875db29.jpg