• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What About Minor Bronze Keys (i.e. Hulk #141, etc.)

4 posts in this topic

After reading some of the Hulk 181 "Holy Grail" stuff, I thought I'd check with other forum members & see if any members think books like Hulk #141 are true Bronze Keys, especially those that are well centered (regardless of bluetop text). While I like Hulk #181, and my best copy ended up with a half dozen dart holes in it (in & around Wolverines head!!), I thought the art & story were not very good at all. In fact, I was shocked it ended up being worth so much (from 20 years ago). ANy ideas, input? Thanks.

hulk141.jpg

I think you said it best when you mentioned #181 being regarded as the holy grail. The reason being is obvious due to the popularity of Wolverine. The reason I don't see #141 as being a key Bronze age book is due to the lack of popularity with Doc Samson. For me it takes more that a first appearence to be a key, it has to include a character I like. Wolvie I like, Doc Sampson....could care less. I would give it a semi-key status though and I certainly think you can't go wrong with a 9.4 Graded copy. As for you statement's on the art and story line of Hulk #181, I concur that it's not the best in the series, but that darn 1st appearance of Logan himself is just too great to overlook.

P.S. If you still have the copy with dart holes, have pitty and send it my way as I no longer have a copy of #181. grin.gif

The reason I don't see #141 as being a key Bronze age book is due to the lack of popularity with Doc Samson.

Well, the Doc is pretty popular with me. Thats why I sold my Hulk 181 as soon as I got it graded and kept my 141 9.0 and 5 others....

The #181 and wolverine don't do anything for me...Doc Sampson however was and is a favorite charactor of mine so, to me, constitutes more of a key charactor than that guy with the claws....and that cover....yowsa....seems right on par with the Defenders #10 with Hulk & Thor locked in battle..... wink.gif

As others have said it really depends on the characters popularity at any given time.

Often books with first apps jump from minor-major key status and then back to minor again. Witness a book like Iron Man #55, this was a minor key for a long time, even when Starlin was using Thanos a lot in the Cpt Marvel book, but after Infinity Gauntlet hit it became a major key.

The Hulk #141 is a minor key now, but if Doc Samson is used in a hit Hulk movie, then the character could become an icon and transport the book to major key status.