• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help New Mailman damaging all packages

23 posts in this topic

Just as the title says, new mailperson is shoving everything into the mailbox and I have had 3 books arrive damaged THIS WEEK. Every package had "DO NOT BEND" yet she has still decided to figure how to cram them in the mailbox.

Somebody else must have gone through it, what do I do to stop this??

Call the Postmaster and hope they are willing to help out :wishluck:

I had to call a dozen times (at least) on my postman because he couldn't get the mail sorted properly. I was missing bills and getting other peoples mail. He no longer works my route.

Just as the title says, new mailperson is shoving everything into the mailbox and I have had 3 books arrive damaged THIS WEEK. Every package had "DO NOT BEND" yet she has still decided to figure how to cram them in the mailbox.

1. If the seller is packaging such that the package CAN ACTUALLY BEND, then you need to talk to the seller about changing their shipping methods. I personally demand boxed (and even then I've seen damage).

2. Do not depend on DO NOT BEND. It's usually an invitation to a disaster. In fact, trusting/depending on the unknown countless people touching your package not to damage it is a bad plan. Pack it up like it's going into a war zone.

3. Take one day and camp out to talk to the mail person directly, or leave a message in the mailbox for those rare occurrences where the item could be potentially "stuffed" in the box.

4. Buy a larger mailbox.

Call the PO and knark her out.

I had a mailman pull up to my box in the winter time, and because he didn't want to walk up the long driveway to my door, he put an attempted delivery slip in my mailbox, and took off.

Well I was home waiting for that package and watched it all from my window.

When I went down to the box and saw the slip I was pizzed, so I called the PO, and had a little rant.

10 minutes later here comes the mail truck, guy parks, gets out, walks up to my door with the box.

He must have apologized at least five times, said it didn't look like anyone was home(despite there being three cars in the driveway and the curtains open)

He must have got his chain yanked really hard because it seemed like he was in legitimate fear of losing his job from how he was acting.

Call and complain

Talk to the mail lady? Verbally...face-to-face.

***Don't come off as a curmudgeon

Agreed. No need to make it confrontational. Now, if the person doesn't give two twists what you have to say then try the escalation route.

Get a small PO/UPS store box to where they have to keep the items behind the counter until you request it. Magazines and slug mail might get subscription creases but comics,DVDs/blu Rays and large boxes won't.

Get a small PO/UPS store box to where they have to keep the items behind the counter until you request it. Magazines and slug mail might get subscription creases but comics,DVDs/blu Rays and large boxes won't.

This is a good idea. I've used UPS off/on for years, and they don't "have" to fit in their boxes. They'll keep larger boxes as well until you pick them up.

This is a good idea. I've used UPS off/on for years, and they don't "have" to fit in their boxes. They'll keep larger boxes as well until you pick them up.

Getting a PO Box was the best move I'd made in years in terms of protecting my mail. When a package is too large to fit in my box (about 4 x 10 inches) they just put a key in there for one of the larger lockers in the lobby. It's incredibly easy and safe. And, in the unlikely event that I will need to complain to someone, I'm already in the PO! lol It can't be a bad thing that at least some of the folks directly responsible for the treatment of your mail are in the same facility you'll pick it up at. Very high level of accountability.

Agreed. No need to make it confrontational. Now, if the person doesn't give two twists what you have to say then try the escalation route.

Best advice is this, speak to her. If she's receptive I'd also suggest getting her a nice christmas present. I do this for my mailman every year and he goes out of his way to make sure things go smoothly for me delivery wise.

Best advice is this, speak to her. If she's receptive I'd also suggest getting her a nice christmas present. I do this for my mailman every year and he goes out of his way to make sure things go smoothly for me delivery wise.

totally agree. Wait for her one day, introduce yourself and welcome her to the route. Be courteous and polite, and toss her a $10 starbucks card and casually mention the issues you're having. Smile.

I agree with this. I called my local P.O. about a similar issue and they quit delivering packages to my house. Instead they left notes and I had to go to the post office to get the packages. It is extremely frustrating and only got fixed when the old postman retired. Since then, packages are coming to the house again.

My issue had to do with the postman throwing my packages from the curb to my front door. Seriously.

I tried this method.. postman no speaky English doh!

....agree, give 'em a chance, talk face to face. If that don't work - report 'em. This happened to me and my postman was replaced forthwith. I will not tolerate bent mail!

GTP

GREASE THE PALM

This is what I do. I take care of all my parcel carriers throughout the year. They will actually double back to drop off boxes if I am not at home the first attempt.

That and get a bigger mailbox.

Definitely contact the post office. They need to know if their employees are damaging mail.

I also have a large deck box by my front porch that everyone puts my packages in. It keeps them out of sight, and less likely to be stolen (which has happened when they were left on the porch). And, if it's anything expensive, I pay for signature confirmation. Since I'm never there to sign for it, the package has to wait at the P.O. until I can pick it up.