• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I handle damaged CGC cases through the mail?

22 posts in this topic

I've got a multiple question post here,

Received my first damaged CGC case today. The whole back side is split open such that any book could be slipped out and replaced with a different book, defeating the purpose of the encapsulation. It was obviously not this way went purchased. Seller did a perfectly find job double boxing it and filling with bubble wrap and peanuts.

Supposedly the seller put insurance on it but I am awaiting their response. In the meantime should I hold the USPS responsible? Will they pay damages and how do I prove it? What's the first step?

When I get it reslabbed with CGC (further upsetting me because I don't want the new case with the overly bolded font on it) what is the process, and cost? Does CGC charge re-grading fees or just re-encapsulation fees? I have never sent books to CGC, i only buy books already graded. It seems like this is going to be a long drawn out process/hassle and I won't even end up with the right case that I wanted on the book at the end of it all.

Here's how bad the case looks.

BR44pwI.jpg

KHHoWhq.jpg

Generally speaking, when this happens I ask for the cost of the re-encapsulation and send it to CGC myself when I get time. If it's a more established seller sometimes they'll take it back, get it re-holdered and send it back to you. YMMV. But if the seller is worth anything, they'll do something. It happens. Even on well packed shipments.

In short, have a conversation, and be polite.

As an eBay seller, this occasionally happens even if you pack the book well. For some reason, the USPS just loves to run over the occasional Priority Mail box with their trucks (only kidding...maybe...). I think it's occurred to me once in the last year (over 250+ books mailed). I'm happy to offer a flat $20 for the cost of reholdering, and when it happens to me as the buyer, I request the same. Sometimes, even the best packing jobs get tested by the gentle hands of the USPS. Just bite the bullet and move on with your day....

Will CGC reholder a book like this if it is so blatantly cracked open? I am not the type to try scams, but I could see why they would deny a simple reholster if people were swapping different books around attempting to get higher grades. I'm guessing shipping is paid both ways by me in addition to the CGC reholster fee?

^ That's an option, but getting it re-holdered is not a big deal for me personally. I've had to deal with this at least a dozen times over the years.

Will CGC reholder a book like this if it is so blatantly cracked open? I am not the type to try scams, but I could see why they would deny a simple reholster if people were swapping different books around attempting to get higher grades. I'm guessing shipping is paid both ways by me in addition to the CGC reholster fee?

That's not a major crack....I've got one down the middle where the comic is and I still fully believe it did not impact grade. You'll be fine.

I actually no longer recommend USPS boxes....just buy your own and bubble wrap/peanut the mess out of it.

I have the same problem so I called CGC and the answer is if the seal (on the corners are not broken they SHOULD be able to re holder with out regrading).That said I believe it is at there discretion as to regrade or not.If they regrade that cost is on you.

Best thing to do is send to CGC asap and tell the seller if they need to regrade will he pay for it and if it comes back a lower grade will he compensate you for the lower grade? meh

Yes shipping both ways are on you.

Every book sent for a reholder may come back with a different grade.

While I agree you are probably not looking at that here, there is always the risk.

I agree with Bill1, the safe thing to do is return it for a full refund...unless the book does not come up often. Then it makes more sense to deal with the reholder yourself.

If it's insured either you are the seller can make a claim. I recommend not you.

While I agree you are probably not looking at that here, there is always the risk.

I agree with Bill1, the safe thing to do is return it for a full refund...unless the book does not come up often. Then it makes more sense to deal with the reholder yourself.

If it's insured either you are the seller can make a claim. I recommend not you.

I've reholdered dozens of books over the years, not a single one was regraded. Not an issue unless the damage to the holder is extensive, which it isnt in this case.

I've reholdered dozens of books over the years, not a single one was regraded. Not an issue unless the damage to the holder is extensive, which it isnt in this case.

Just to be clear, are you saying they were not regraded because they came back the same grade, or because you were told by CGC in each instance the book was not regraded? The two are not the same.

I have had at least a hundred books reholdered over the years, and in most cases I have no idea whether they were regraded or not.

It's a doctor strange silver age, only 25 in 9.4, only 11 higher. So I would say rare, not common enough that I would return it and hope for another book also with white pages. Seller is going to talk to the post office shortly. I've also heard some people say CGC books were graded too generously during certain years, anyone know those years offhand?

It's a doctor strange silver age, only 25 in 9.4, only 11 higher. So I would say rare, not common enough that I would return it and hope for another book also with white pages. Seller is going to talk to the post office shortly. I've also heard some people say CGC books were graded too generously during certain years, anyone know those years offhand?

Too many to know. Best to grade the book yourself and for YOU to be comfortable with the book as graded.

Seller did a perfectly find job double boxing it and filling with bubble wrap and peanuts.

Supposedly the seller put insurance on it but I am awaiting their response. In the meantime should I hold the USPS responsible? Will they pay damages and how do I prove it?

How did the box look when it arrived?

Just to be clear, are you saying they were not regraded because they came back the same grade, or because you were told by CGC in each instance the book was not regraded? The two are not the same.

I have had at least a hundred books reholdered over the years, and in most cases I have no idea whether they were regraded or not.

Uh...they were reholdered. Serial numbers stayed the same and I was only charged the reholder fee, plus they were handled in only five days. Its pretty obvious when books are reholdered, at least, it was to me.

Seller did a perfectly find job double boxing it and filling with bubble wrap and peanuts.

Supposedly the seller put insurance on it but I am awaiting their response. In the meantime should I hold the USPS responsible? Will they pay damages and how do I prove it?

How did the box look when it arrived?

Box looked fine to me, but it became obvious that one of the corners were crushed by something really heavy when I took a closer look after noticing the damage. If I hadn't taken the case out of the sleeve though and looked at the back I may have never noticed.

kCodyAW.jpg

sS8D6zg.jpg

Uh...they were reholdered. Serial numbers stayed the same and I was only charged the reholder fee, plus they were handled in only five days. Its pretty obvious when books are reholdered, at least, it was to me.

Yep, if the book is regraded it'll get a new serial number.

If a book is sent in for a reholder, it'll only get regraded if the book has suffered obvious damage inside the case.